1994 YJ rear ended - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1994 YJ rear ended

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Doink
1994 YJ Wrangler 

1994 YJ rear ended

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I-77, just south of Charlotte. Got punted by a Mazda Truck. I have removed the ruined spare and rear tire carrier. While starting to tear it down to try and bang out the damage, I ran into a few snags.
1. Can I/how do I remove the rear bumper to "un-bend" it? While crawling around I also noticed both rear body mounting bolt heads are gone.
2. Is there anyway to "un-bend" the body panel above the bumper? There doesn't seem to be any access to get behind it to reverse the crease.
3. I can't get the Torx head screws to break loose and un-fasten from the hinges. Any idea how to do it?

Any help and/or ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Unread 12-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
TheGanzman
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Tough lick; prolly some moh-ron texting! Hey, if you land up needing a tailgate, I have a BEAUTIFUL Arizona (TJ) tailgate available. I believe the only difference is that you will have to "adjust" the hinge mounting points; they are ~1/2" higher on one than the other...

Good luck!
TheGanzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doink View Post

I-77, just south of Charlotte. Got punted by a Mazda Truck. I have removed the ruined spare and rear tire carrier. While starting to tear it down to try and bang out the damage, I ran into a few snags.
1. Can I/how do I remove the rear bumper to "un-bend" it? While crawling around I also noticed both rear body mounting bolt heads are gone.
2. Is there anyway to "un-bend" the body panel above the bumper? There doesn't seem to be any access to get behind it to reverse the crease.
3. I can't get the Torx head screws to break loose and un-fasten from the hinges. Any idea how to do it?

Any help and/or ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Tough luck...

Not an easy fix, The panel above the bumper is boxed, so even dropping the fuel tank, your best route will be a hard fix...

Also the rear " bumper" is the rear frame cross member, that much push in is definitely toeing in the rear frame rails, hence to broken body mount bolts..

Drill out and easy out torx bolts...Try penetrating oil first if you want...

Good luck...
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Doink
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info!

I agree on the boxed panel - maybe a couple small welds and a slide hammer plus paint.

Is there a bolt-on rear bumper that will hide the cross member? I've read that there are some that will work, but the installation is often labor-intensive.

Also, a local salvage yard has a white '95 YJ tailgate in excellent condition for $250. It sounds overpriced to me, but is that a fair price? And would I be able to get the '94 dark green paint (or something close) to re-paint it myself?

I appreciate any opinions and solid info!
Unread 12-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thats expensive. Ask for a tailgate on a local forum and you can probably get one for less then 100. I got a cj7 tailgate for 50 and added a piece of 3"x1/4x30" plate across that rear piece so I could mount the cj drop down tail gate and have it look stock.
Unread 12-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I painted it myself too but black is available everywhere
Unread 12-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can straighten the rear x member and either weld bolt up the MORE replacement x member or any rear bumper (smittybilt is just over $100) will bolt up and give some strength back...

When I bought my jeep the x member was junk and I welded the smittybilt in to act as the x member
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

As NHfire informed you the damaged rear is your rear cross member. Your rear cross member is part of your frame. As bad as it was hit. The only option that I can see is to cut out the rear cross member, then bend back your frame rails and replace the rear member. The bad damage to your frame is why your body bolts broke.

Concerning the tailgate. Try to find a good original used one. I made the mistake of buying a new tailgate and they are thin as hell. Not worth the trouble. In fact my new tailgate is now bent just due to me closing the door. I would say to pay no more than $100.00 for a used tailgate.

Your tailgate hinges are scrap. Buy Crown hinges. Cheap and very strong.

First on your list is to drop the fuel tank and start banging and cutting away. Buy a good receiver to protect your rear end from any more hits.

I was rear ended by a texting driver a couple of years ago. She never touched her brakes and I was just sitting at a red light. When I was hit my driver seat was ripped out of the floor. I feel for you.

Edit: Looking closer you may get away with cutting out the center of your rear, then bending back the frame rails. Then just replace the center piece of the rear cross member that you cut out instead of the whole cross member...
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
Doink
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have no welding tools or experience, so I may have to just cover it cosmetically. I'm going to sell it as soon as I can get it looking better. On a side note, when is the best season to sell a Jeep? Now, early spring or late spring? SummeR?
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have no welding tools or experience, so I may have to just cover it cosmetically. I'm going to sell it as soon as I can get it looking better. On a side note, when is the best season to sell a Jeep? Now, early spring or late spring? SummeR?

I have no respect for someone that covers up frame damage and sells.

If you are going to sell. Sell as is.

Truly sorry for trying to help you Doink.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
Doink
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I apologize for how I said it. The damage will be disclosed no matter what, and I will have the frame straightened before I sell. I just want it to look as nice as possible. Right now I just don't have the funds to get it done the way *I* would want it.
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #12
Jeepsr4me

Quote:
Just push out the dent in the tail gate as best you can and leave it there.

As someone said above me. Dont hide anything. People LOVE to fix stuff. So you will have many people wanting it cause they feel the need or feel you gonna give good price cause of the damage.
SPRING as soon as the 1st warm day is the best. I got a few jeeps I hold till then to sale. Get anywhere from 800 - 2000 more. And thats worth keeping over the winter to get better prices.
I buy a lot of jeeps and fix them after finding someone that just wants it gone.

Again do not cover damage. The kid that buys it cause he or she thinks the jeep is cool will have no idea how to fix. But a informed person will and dont mind. Plus its not that bad.
And the cost of repairing it right will eat up your profit. sale it as is in your case as you lack the skill to fix. cause if you pay 1000 to have all the work done and only sell for 3500 when you could have some for 3k.....
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
Doink
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I guess it's best to just leave it as-is and just let the next guy deal with it.
I'm just really disappointed because I got such a good deal on it, and now it's worth less than what I paid for it.
Of course, I could just keep it and drive it because I do love the style and comfort (lol) it provides.
I figure I'll just bang out the dents in the tailgate and find someone local who can fix the bumper like Pasinbuy suggested. I also have a body shop 3 doors down from me and maybe they can suggest a suitable solution.
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did I miss the part where the guy that hit you should be paying for this?
Unread 12-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
Doink
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Cop on site ticketed driver for "too fast for conditions". Had correct registration and license but no insurance. According to NC, my only recourse is to get it repaired and file a small claims lawsuit to recoup the cost of repairs. Small claims maximum is $5000 but I would need repair receipts to show actual costs. If I go this route, I have to pay for the repairs out of pocket which I cannot afford to do. My insurance company is trying to help but their hands are tied (I don't have collision on my policy).

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.