1994 YJ new shocks, clunking when hitting bumps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1994 YJ new shocks, clunking when hitting bumps

New rockridge 4wd sales rep!!!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" l

Unread 03-20-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
Akt2467

1994 YJ new shocks, clunking when hitting bumps

I replaced all four shocks on my Wrangler YJ that I had recently bought. I hadn't had the chance to really drive it much before buying it so I'm not sure if this issue was happening before replacing all shocks or not. Front 2 shocks were from AutoZone, back 2 were from 4x4terrain i believe because Autozone's were too short in the back. All are on and good, but when I drive it and hit bigger bumps I get a good clunking sound from the front as with the back. Now it's not possible that the shocks are too short correct? If they were too short they would have never fit to begin with?

What could be causing the clunking sound, it's puzzling me...

Akt2467 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would start out looking at your track bars. Look at the mounting points and grab the bar and shake it real good.
It is pretty common for them to come loose.
Unread 03-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
Akt2467

I don't have a front track bar on it currently, could that be causing it? Could it be my ball joints?
Unread 03-20-2015, 07:41 PM   #4
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Has the front track bar been completly removed?
Unread 03-20-2015, 08:29 PM   #5
Rafthegiraffe

I hear a similar sound and it's because the frame were the shackles are mounted is rusted and when hitting a bump will cause it to move. Idk if you've checked the mounts on the leaf springs but while your under there take a look
Rafthegiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Check all your bushings and make sure your track bars are adios'd.

"Whiskey is for drinking, Water is for fighting over" - Mark Twain
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2015, 07:22 PM   #7
Akt2467

Yes the front track bar has completely been removed at this point. The leaf springs have some rust but aren't that that bad though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.