1994 YJ Blown 2.5L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1994 YJ Blown 2.5L

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 04-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
timh141
1994 YJ Wrangler 

1994 YJ Blown 2.5L

Been having some fun with the Jeep this year. I park on the street and don't lock it, because it has a soft top anyway. Someone decided to take out my stereo, break the center console lock, even though it wasn't locked either. And then not steal the stereo, just left it on the seat. Its just an old cassette, but why take it out?!

Got the stereo put back, then I was driving to work Thursday, when my Jeep engine broke. Don't know the history of this motor, but the odometer had 233,000 when I bought it last summer. I had just tuned it up and it was running well, not even using much oil.

Now, to be fair, a couple of weeks ago we went to the dunes for the 2nd time, drove it hard in the sand, you need to rev the 4's a little bit more than the 6's to get up a dune....and then one of my boys mistook the Jeep for a boat, "forgot to check the depth finder" and drowned it in a pond. Fortunately we had two other Jeeps on that trip. We pulled it out and worked on it for about 4 hours to get it running. Major tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter), sprayed WD 40 in the cylinders to displace water, changed the oil a couple of times, used a stabilizer in the oil (Sea Foam) before and after the oil change.

Here are some pictures of my 4 cylinder jeep motor/boat anchor/grenade. I will need at minimum, a new engine block to fix this.

The connecting rod and piston in the number one cylinder is broken and the broken rod flopping around on the crank managed to punch a very big hole in the side of the block. You can see up into the cylinder through the side. Thatís about as bad as it getsÖ!

So Iím looking for a complete engine or a short block. Iím not adverse to doing an engine swap. I hear the all-aluminum 5.3L Impala V-8 has the same GM 60 bolt pattern as my block. I would need to fabricate a mount for the starter and probably lots of other things, motor mounts, a place for the Impala computer, new flywheel, exhaust routing, higher capacity radiator, bigger fuel pump, wiring, etc, etc Öbut it might be fun!

wp_000288.jpg   wp_000286.jpg   wp_000284.jpg  
timh141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
timh141
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Someone asked how the accessory belt looked on my engine, here is a couple of pictures about that...also, found an engine in a town about 70 miles south of me. 140,000 miles on it, guy said it ran well, but he switched to a 350 chev and didn't want this anymore. For $500 I got the engine, trans, tcase. I thought that was a pretty good deal. Enough parts left over to start another project!
wp_000332.jpg   wp_000333.jpg   wp_000299.jpg  
Unread 05-12-2013, 02:08 AM   #3
timh141
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Finished the engine install, here is a link to it running:
I couldn't believe it started on the first try. I took pictures of every vacuum and electrical connection beforehand. The only big mistake was cutting the power steering hose thinking I could splice. The parts store told me you couldn't splice high pressure hydraulics, so I bought another hose for $25. I was walking around and noticed a gas leak from the tank that I hadn't seen before. It only leaked with the engine on, so I'm dropping the tank. Some rusty bolts to deal with still, so I haven't discovered yet where the leak is coming from.
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
Jeepsr4me

Next time on the Power steering, just lay it to the side and do not take out of jeep
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Look at doing the access mod for the tank while you have it dropped. It will save you so much greif in the future. Great job!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
timh141
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, to update this thread, my gas tank leak turned out to be a broken rubber gasket on top that formed the seal for the fuel pump. I ended up busting the straps and another bolt also because the threads were so rusty. It even had rubber caps on the threads for the gas tank straps, but they rusted anyway.

Also, I wanted to mention that one of the most difficult parts of this swap was getting the air out of the coolant system. I tried a lot of different "tricks" but the thing that worked best was to get the Jeep into a nose down angle, I did this by parking it basically with the front wheels in the gutter, and jackstands under the rear axle on the sidewalk in front of my house. Neighbors love me. I then removed the the temperature sensor that goes to the gauge. It is located on the drivers side of the engine, at the rear, on top of the head. Then I filled the radiator until fluid starting coming out of the temp sensor hole, replaced the sensor and radiator cap. Thinking back, the top of my radiator was probably about even with the back of the engine...
Unread 01-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The best thing is to put a flush T in line with the heater hose. Bleed it in about 5 minutes, including putting in the T. They are $10 and you can back flush your heater core too.
Unread 01-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How long did the engine swap take you?
Unread 01-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #9
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
How long did the engine swap take you?
X2 I am always curious. Congrats on the swap by the way. Feels good after wards when the mighty 2.5 roars back to life doesnt it.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
timh141
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Que89YJ, I spent probably a little more than 2 whole days on it.

Tags
2.5l , 4cyl , 5.3l , engine , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.