1994 YJ 4.0 dash lights flash when blinkers are on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1994 YJ 4.0 dash lights flash when blinkers are on

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
suchaconsumer
1994 YJ Wrangler 

1994 YJ 4.0 dash lights flash when blinkers are on

Hey everyone. I am a brand new jeep owner and I am having some troubles with my wiring. I bought this rig on Thursday and I cant seem to get the blinkers to work right.

I have replaced the turn signal switch and the turn signal relay. I removed the hazard relay because I havent replaced it yet.

The hazards seem to be working properly. But I am not sure if the side markers are supposed to flash when hazards are on. Can someone confirm this?

When I switch the turn signal to left the green arrow flashes left but for some reason the dash lights flash as well. Also it seems as though all my lights flash as if I have hazards on.

When I switch my turn signal to the right both green arrows flash. The dash lights flash and the exterior lights flash as if hazards are on.

Note that it was behaving exactly the same before I replaced the turn signal switch.

Also note when I remove the dash light dimmer the dash lights stop flashing. But the exterior lights still behave the same.

Something has to be wired wrong but it is baffling me. Ive even pulled the headlight switch to make sure it wasnt interfering.

suchaconsumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchaconsumer View Post
Hey everyone. I am a brand new jeep owner and I am having some troubles with my wiring. I bought this rig on Thursday and I cant seem to get the blinkers to work right.

I have replaced the turn signal switch and the turn signal relay. I removed the hazard relay because I havent replaced it yet.

The hazards seem to be working properly. But I am not sure if the side markers are supposed to flash when hazards are on. Can someone confirm this?

When I switch the turn signal to left the green arrow flashes left but for some reason the dash lights flash as well. Also it seems as though all my lights flash as if I have hazards on.

When I switch my turn signal to the right both green arrows flash. The dash lights flash and the exterior lights flash as if hazards are on.

Note that it was behaving exactly the same before I replaced the turn signal switch.

Also note when I remove the dash light dimmer the dash lights stop flashing. But the exterior lights still behave the same.

Something has to be wired wrong but it is baffling me. Ive even pulled the headlight switch to make sure it wasnt interfering.
the side markers do not flash. Can't remember what thread I read that on, but they are not supposed to.

The emergency flasher switch is the same as the turn signal switch, you can swap them to test. I know it's too late to help now, but just FYI.

Biggest issue with those lights are grounds from the threads I have read. Check and clean all grounds involved.
Unread 06-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
suchaconsumer
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think I have a bad brake light switch. At least that seems to be possible. Im going to check tomorrow
Unread 06-02-2010, 03:51 AM   #4
suchaconsumer
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Update

I cleaned all the lights and checked the bulbs. Ive removed all the wire harnesses and reconnected under the dash. Except one that I cannot get apart. The dash lights have quit flashing when the blinkers are on. But now when the blinkers are on either left or right they all flash in tandem.

Also I noticed another relay under the dash that is clicking when the flashers are on. It has a wire that runs from the radio harness, one ground, one 12v, one black with yellow stripe, and an orange wire that goes to who knows where. very strange. These Jeeps have the weirdest wiring IMO.

Im still thinking brake light switch unless anyone has any better suggestions.

Also there was a wire connector that I couldnt separate under the dash by the EBrake. Does anyone have a trick for that?
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What happens to the flashers if you remove the relay under the dash that connects to the radio harness? Thats definely not stock. Try turning on you lights as well with that relay removed.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
suchaconsumer
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The relay that is hooked to the radio harness is also tied to the brake light. You can hear it click when you press the brake. It looks factory even though I dont understand what it is for. Or why it is tied to the radio harness.

It is the same relay that is used for the horn under the hood. 56006707 83159 0254

Ive so far disconnected the entire dash harness besides the turn signal cable. And the harness that I cant get apart.

Weird...

All the flashers are still flashing regardless of what way I hit the switch
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:34 AM   #7
suchaconsumer
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, I figured out why the lights were all flashing. PO ran a wire between the rear taillights. I think for an alarm but who knows.

the brake light switch was shot, and the headlight dimmer switch doesnt have any low beam.

Wow, that was a mess, but fixed
Unread 06-03-2010, 06:11 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Way 2 go! It was a compund problem. Worse yet it was a compund electrical problem. Worst of all it was a compund electrical problem on a YJ! It sounds like you have a good handle on electrical.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.