1994 mustang 302 in my YJ - Wiring harness/Computer question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1994 mustang 302 in my YJ - Wiring harness/Computer question

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

1994 mustang 302 in my YJ - Wiring harness/Computer question

So I have a 1990 YJ and have been researching doing a 302 swap in it. Originally I put money down on a 1986 mustang 302 a couple weeks agobut once we got the motor pulled I found out the block was cracked in a couple of places by the bellhousing

I ended up finding a 1994 mustang that was wrecked and am planning on pulling the motor this Saturday. I'm hoping this one goes better than the last. I plan to pull everything I can off the car and I'm hoping I can use the stock harness/computer. So my question is, can I adapt the 1994 harness and stock 94 mustang computer to work in my YJ? I know the 1994 harness has a lot more to it than the few years before it and I'm wondering if its even possible. The mustang was an auto and I'm pretty sure 1994 is the year the trans was tied into the computers so I am unsure if it will work. I'll be mating the motor up to my ax-15.

Does anyone know if I can get by with the 1994 stuff if I trim down the harness? Or will it cause the computer to go crazy??

I know the 1992-1993 harnesses and AL9 computers are the most ideal for this if I am going to be doing the wiring myself, but I am trying to stay on budget and would rather not have to buy them if I can get by with what I have already. I plan to get a helm manual for the 1994 motor if it turns out I can use the harness/computer since it sounds like their diagrams are the best.

Unread 07-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
packdog
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Mustang Forum?

You might want to ask your question on a mustang forum. One of those folks have probably swapped out an automatic for a manual and can tell you what needs to be done there.

As for everything else as long as you are keeping the original wiring harness, sensors, and computer it should be a straight forward swap. I don't know of any Ford computers that are are part of the voltage regulator system, but if you do end up with one of those setups you will probably have to swap out the alternator too.

Good luck!
packdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

no Ford experience, just general swap.... get whatever info you can on the Ford's computer & harness.... wiring from the computer plug telling you which wire (color or preferrably connector pin #) goes to where on the motor.... you'll definitely need several grounds, some constant 12v+ and probably a few 12v+ in key on and/or start position.

basically, whatever you're swapping in, bring over as much as you can from the donor vehicle, then the only thing your YJ system is for is to have your key switch to turn everything on... you're making the motor/computer think it's still in the Mustang
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
voz
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ping IBuildThemBig over on wrangler forums...
Unread 07-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

After doing some more research I found out its probably not going to work out trying to use the 1994 computer and harness. The computer retards the timing at the shift points of the auto trans.

I am going to pick up a 1993 A9L computer and matching harness. I have heard that is the easiest harness to adapt. Anyone have a good place I can go to find a diagram for the computer?
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
merlin87yj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Try "www.oldfuelinjection.com, there is a bunch of information on computers and harnesses for mustang engines.
merlin87yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.