1993 yj wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1993 yj wiring

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 07-18-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
dnolan
1993 YJ Wrangler 

1993 yj wiring

Long story short.
Bought 1993 yj 2.5 4 cyl from neighbor who had set engine on fire.
(something about inj. leaking ).
Purchased under hood wiring harness for 1993 yj 2.5, purchased 1992 under dash wiring harness ( people said would work - same as 1993).
I'm not so sure. Wires hook up the same - some diff. colors.
Most all elect. works- wipers, blower, emer. flashers.
Ign. switch when turned works power above, but will not engage starter.
( in fact when ign. switch is turned to engage starter left rear tail lights but then goes out.
I can jump across stater sol. and engine will turn over.
Have followed red lead from batt to ign. switch- good have power to ign. switch. Have power from ign. switch to st. relay. Ign wire from relay to starter is good but not getting power to starter when ign. switch is turned.
Gauges are pegging. I'm guessing a ground problem but can't seem to find whats wrong.

dnolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Only thing that comes to mind for me is if the wiring harness is from an automatic, I understand there is a "switch" that works with automatic transmission that enable/disable from Park to Reverse and Forward gears. If the wiring harness thinks it is in gear, and you have an auto trans wiring harness. It will not start. There is fix for it however. Not sure if this is even your problem or not though.
Unread 07-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
90islander
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Youre talking about the neutral saftey switch. This would need to be grounded in order for an auto wiring harness to work with a manual tranny.
90islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I can think of a few things. The Nuetral saftey switch check power on pins 3 and 9 for the ecu (ignition on the 2 are battery and ignition feed). If both are good then short pin 30 on the ecu to ground with a short jumper wire.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/n...-swap-1224232/

Check the wiring harness that goes along the firewall below the battery tray. Its got 4 wires I beieve. Its the connector for the switch. Also, the guages, I would check the fuses in the panel at the drivers feet. The fuse that says guages. Make sure you have juice there.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
dnolan
1993 YJ Wrangler 

? on 1993 yj- does clutch pedal need to be depressed to start ? if so where is safety switch ? Also will jeep start in any gear , or must it be in neutral?
Unread 07-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Not exactly, you can actually bump your vehicle using the starter to walk it with the torque the starter generates. The problem is that I dont know what it was relaced with when it caught fire so I was covering the bases on possibilities. If you have a meter to do some readings I can walk you through what and where to measure. The starter relay is the first place to look. Its in the PDC under the hood. Does it click/pull in when you turn the key to start? You need to see if the relay pulls in to see if its control side or supply side of the relay not getting the powr to the starter.
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Not exactly, you can actually bump your vehicle using the starter to walk it with the torque the starter generates. The problem is that I dont know what it was relaced with when it caught fire so I was covering the bases on possibilities. If you have a meter to do some readings I can walk you through what and where to measure. The starter relay is the first place to look. Its in the PDC under the hood. Does it click/pull in when you turn the key to start? You need to see if the relay pulls in to see if its control side or supply side of the relay not getting the powr to the starter.
For what its worth, My totally stock 1991 will actually walk under starter power in any gear until the battery gives out. I can't verify it for sure, but I would bet the 1993's are similar - I've never seen a NSS on a jeep. It's possible, but that would be a new one on me.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
dnolan
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your answers. Please read first post about voltage (or lack of)
to starter.
Unread 07-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I understand what you said in your first post. If you jumper power from pin 30 to 87 of the starter relay it should crank. What I am trying to get at is if the relay is pulling in when you are trying to crank it. The relay supplies power from pin 30 to pin 87 that goes to the starter. Pins 85 and 86 are the control lines for for pulling in the relay. If you jumper it and it cranks then its a control issue. In the relay socket measure with one lead in each pin 85 and 86 while you are turning the key. You should see 12Vdc. If you do not then take one lead to ground and repeat with each. Tell me what you see.
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
dnolan
1993 YJ Wrangler 

will do tomorrow ! does anyone have a wiring layout for the bulkhead conn.
on a 1993 2.5 . After we bought the jeep we ordered a engine harness for a 1993 2.5 (used ) and were looking for a under dash for a 1993, could not locate one. We settled for a 1992 under dash 2.5. While looking at my old engine side bulkhead yellow wire was in first row second slot from the right. this new harness (said 1993) yellow wire is located second row first slot on the left.

Think maybe I need to locate a engine and under dash harness from the same jeep -- a 1993 2.5 manual.

Looks like all YJ harness are not compatible.

Any comments ?
Unread 07-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you try what I suggested? This is the 91 and 94 bulkhead connector. The 93-95 are the same with a few color differences but the circuits are the same.
91-bulkhead.jpg   91-bulkhead2.jpg   94-bulkhead.jpg   94-bulkhead2.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.