1993 YJ Starting Issue - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1993 YJ Starting Issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #16
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The cracking isn't good but you need to check your bleed down of fuel pressure with a guage after you shut it off. You can put a refundable deposit on the guage at any good parts store.

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #17
HandsOn

And that level of cracking can be indicative of something even more nefarious than leaking fuel. Leaking air and causing confusion.

Air molecules are smaller than gas molecules are, so when a hose is just borderline to the point it's not quite leaking fuel, you can still suck air into the system which can lead to a pump losing it's prime an not flowing anything worthwhile, or at the very least not providing a legitimate fuel flow through the system.

Hoses in this condition may be perfectly fine sometimes, but also have issues with things like collapsing under pressure or just having enough debris, or basically lack of a smooth inner wall, that can in effect block the flow of gas. Especially in bends and turns.

So even if this is not your son's issue, I'd be looking at replacing any rubber lines in the fuel system with new. It's going to have to happen sooner or later anyway. Might as well be sooner, so an undetected fuel leak doesn't lead to other problems. You know... Like fire.

And who knows? It might even help fix the issue. And putting new filters in at the same time is just good sound practice. I don't remember if you said you already did that recently, but it doesn't look like it, considering the appearance of the hoses and connections.

Paul
HandsOn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #18
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok....sorry for the lag in time....trying to match time up with my boy's schedule can be difficult sometimes.

We attached the fuel pressure tester and bled it off. The only reading we could get was when it was idling.

Idle: 30psi

When I pulled a vaccuum line on the fuel rail, it didn't increase at all.

When we turned it off to do the 20 minute time test, it lasted about 15 seconds before going to zero.

We went and bought a new fuel filter, hoses, and clamps. We will change those out and retest it to see if that helps.

Some of the vaccuum lines have pretty good cracking. Where would one find those (other than a junkyard) to replace them? If I have to, I'll hit the junkyard but I don't want to replace cracked lines with slightly better cracked lines lol....

It may be a few days before we report back. Thanks again for the guidance.
Hosejockey61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #19
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If the pressure bled off that fast after shutting down then you have an issue. The fact the pressure didn't change is odd. If the regulator goes the fuel pressure usually goes high. You can check to see if you hook up the guage one more time. pinch off the return fuel line and cycle the key on. The pressure should jump to 60psi+ and hold. If it doesn't then you have a bad regulator. If it does then bad fuel pump(check valve is in the pump).
Unread 06-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #20
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

We got the fuel filter and cracked lines replaced. We were even able to get a good vaccuum line at the junk yard. We hooked the fuel pressure test gauge back up and it seemed to be having a problem trying to get fuel in the line to the guage. If I tightened it down thumb tight, fuel would go in the line. If I backed it off a bit fuel would go in the line but my guess is that it is also letting air in which would explain why it would bleed down so fast.

Thanks que89 for the input....if you thought it was the fuel pump, wouldn't I exprience issues with it running too? The thing runs great once started.

I also pulled the codes again after working on it to see if anything changed....now shows 12, 13, 55.

Last edited by Hosejockey61; 06-14-2012 at 06:25 PM..
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #21
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No, if the check valve is bad you have a tuff time starting it. You know you can get a guage set with a fully refundable deposit at any of the big auto parts store. If you can't trust the guage you have you need to get one you can. That leak down pressure reading is critical.
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #22
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The guage I used was from a good parts store here....I'll go to another store and use theirs to see if I have the same problem.
Unread 06-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #23
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, tried a new gauge and had the same results...30ish at idle. As soon as I turn it off, it bled down immediately.

I started it back up and pinched the return line with no change in pressure.

On my way to the parts store to get a new regulator. I'll report back after installing it.....any preference between GP Sorensen vs. Borg Warner?

Last edited by Hosejockey61; 06-15-2012 at 11:49 AM..
Unread 06-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #24
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No prefrence. You might have an issue with both. I am just saying don't be surprised.
Unread 06-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #25
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ok....installed the part.....was expecting great news......not to be had...

Same problem exists. All pressure readings are identical. Crimping return line, pressure still doesn't go up. I've checked for leaks everywhere and have found none.

What should I be looking at next....fuel pump?
Unread 06-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #26
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

bump...
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #27
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

From what you have said It looks like the fuel pump would be the next item in line.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #28
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That is what I said by both. You are looking at a bad fuel pump or a leaky injector. Pinc off the return line and cycle the key on with the guage attached. Pressure should shoot up to 60+psi. If it hold pressure then the check valve is bad. If it doesn't then an injector is bad.
Unread 06-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #29
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I am betting the fuel pump though.
Unread 06-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #30
seraph_rapture
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'd be looking at your grounds as well. Bad grounds can do funny things to electrical.
seraph_rapture is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
starter , won't start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.