1993 YJ fuel sender is not priming - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1993 YJ fuel sender is not priming

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 09-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
pbmustache
1993 YJ Wrangler 

1993 YJ fuel sender is not priming

Hello everyone. I'm a new jeep owner of one week. I have a 1993 Jeep Wrangler Renegade. The jeep was my sister-in-laws which sat for a year and a half before I took ownership. (I was sad looking at it all lonely)

Now for my starting issue. When I got the vehicle I had some minor repair work done prior to me brining it home. Once I got home I noticed that the vehicle would intermittently not start, I would crank but not turn over. There was no specific time when this would happen, Very random. I did some research and ending up replacing the Crank position sensor. The Jeep fired right up. But now I think I'm fighting a twofold issue. In the morning after the vehicle has sat overnight the sending unit doesn�t prime the line for start-up. This seems to happen only in the morning (moisture?) If I let it sit as the day warms I hear the sender turn on prime the line and it starts right up and runs great. I checked for codes and found 12 battery disconnected in the last 30 days and 55 end of fault codes. All of the gauges work and runs like a champ once it starts. Does anyone have any idea on what the issue could be? At first I thought it maybe the sending unit but the more I thought about it, it almost seems to be electrical, chaffed wire? I also replaced the Fuel pump relay and I do hear that engaging in the morning.

Thanks for the help!!

pbmustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Does the check engine light come in first try in the morning???

If it is temp related could be a couple of things.

Grounds in the engine passenger side of the block about three important ones. You should be able to locate then very easy. Disconnect and clean with wire brush green scouring pad.

That is the first place to start.

Welcome to the forum make sure to go an put info into your profile page this will help others answer your questions.

See how that works and get back and see what is next.

Sent from underneath my Jeep

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
pbmustache
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, yes my check engine light does come on. I have not checked any grounds but I will.
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmustache
Thanks, yes my check engine light does come on. I have not checked any grounds but I will.
What code you getting?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-pissed-wife-747535/
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
pbmustache
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why J?

What code you getting?
12 and 55
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I see you did post your own thread! Great! You definitely have the right idea. Check the fuel pressure and see how long it takes to bleed down. Also check the temp sensor on the thermostat housing. When the engine is cold it is the primary input for the ecu calibration.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
pbmustache
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, good news I put a new auto shut down relay in and this morning it started. First time it started In the morning since I had it. It was a little hard to start and I do have a slight fuel leak at the fuel filter line. I should have the part tomorrow an I'm planning on testing the fuel pressure this weekend just to make sure it's on par. I may through in a new temp sensor for good measures!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.