1993 yj 2.5 quit running wont start? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1993 yj 2.5 quit running wont start?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #46
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

God knows you are an old dog Pete! Good luck with school. I noticed you werent around. Glad to have you chime in when ever you can!

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #47
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
The next step is to make sure your return line isnt plugged. Disconnect the return line at the fuel rail and hook a hose up to it. run it to a gas can and with the fuel guage hooked up start it and recheck the fuel pressure. Irf it drops to 31 psi then the return line between the rail and the bottom of the tank is plugged. Post back what you find.
This may be another dumb question but I still need it answered. Which line is the return? The one one the pressure regulator, or the one right beside it directly connected to the fuel rail? Thanks
bedwards24676 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #48
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedwards24676

This may be another dumb question but I still need it answered. Which line is the return? The one one the pressure regulator, or the one right beside it directly connected to the fuel rail? Thanks
I think I found the answer. The one on the regulator is the return. If I'm wrong someone please let me know. Thanks
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #49
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The next step is to make sure your return line isnt plugged. Disconnect the return line at the fuel rail and hook a hose up to it. run it to a gas can and with the fuel guage hooked up start it and recheck the fuel pressure. Irf it drops to 31 psi then the return line between the rail and the bottom of the tank is plugged. Post back what you find.
Hey Que. just tested return line. If i was on the right line (the return, I was on the one off the regulator) the pressure dropped to 31psi. This means the line is pinched or bad, and not the regulator. Am I correct?
Unread 05-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #50
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

pinched line or there is an issue in the tank. you need to pop the return line at the tank and do the same thing. you should probably do the fuel pump access mod to get at it. there is a good chance the tank is warped and closing off the return at the bottom of the tank.
Unread 05-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #51
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
pinched line or there is an issue in the tank. you need to pop the return line at the tank and do the same thing. you should probably do the fuel pump access mod to get at it. there is a good chance the tank is warped and closing off the return at the bottom of the tank.
Ok bud. Looks like ill have a busy weekend. I traced the return to the tank and saw nothing visible. Didn't have much time to spend. I've been reading all these other threads with similar return problems. Still don't know what I'm getting into. We will see thanks again for hanging in here with me.
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #52
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

cut the access, you will be glad you did.There are at least 4 threads in the last month with bad tank issues blocking the pump.
Unread 05-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #53
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
cut the access, you will be glad you did.There are at least 4 threads in the last month with bad tank issues blocking the pump.
Oh yeah been researching it all day. I've got a factory service manual been looking at all week. It hasn't come close to helping like you guys. I'm gonna have to cut the door. I've had no luck with nuts and bolts on this thing. I think I'm prepared. Got a copy of mean max's template. Now I just need to get off work and get started. Ill post up how it's going.
image-2663711782.jpg  
Unread 05-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #54
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure you give him a big thumbs up. That template will save you more heartache then you can imagine!
Unread 05-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #55
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey buddy I need your help. I pulled the pump and no blockage in the return on the pump. When the pump was seated in the tank it had blockage like a brick wall. Traced it all the way to the pump before I removed. Anyways. I have no clue what the plastic white piece on this inside of the tank looks like. Here are some pics. It looks warped up on the inside there on just the piece the pump sits in. I need some advice on what to do. Should I trim the foot off the return on the pump? I think I read another post someone else had done this. I don't know. Ill do some more reading before I make a move. Just kinda stumped here. Thanks
image-4066484279.jpg   image-920366374.jpg  
Unread 05-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #56
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pull the plastic tray. Cut back the return tube an inch and reinstall.
Unread 05-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #57
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

X2 yank out the plastic tray and trim the foot off the return line, where the big rubber thing is on the end of it.
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #58
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Pull the plastic tray. Cut back the return tube an inch and reinstall.
Gotcha I read up on a previous thread and saw Pete give the same advice. Going back in with it now. Cleaned out the tank while I was in there replaced the strainer and filter. Ill hopefully give a final update tonight. fingers crossed!!! No other gremlins pop up!
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #59
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok guys got it back in. Changed fuel filter, pump strainer, pulled white plastic tray, and cut an inch off the return, did away with rubber boot. Also changed spark plugs before I started it up. I had to cut the wires to the pump couldn't pull the plug through. Soldered them back together. Started her up and pressure was a smooth 31psi, without vacuum 42psi. Idles smooth as my new tacoma. It did have an erratic idle before. Runs a little better too. Little more throttle response when in the gas. In the pictures I'm posting of the tray you can see where the nipple of the return was bottomed out on the tray and wore grooves in the plastic. I wanna again say thanks to Que, and Pete, and MeanMax (for a spot on template for the access door). Without you guys I was lost. Thank you for all the help. You guys know your stuff. If I ever run into anything else (sure I will sooner than later its a yj I'm trying to work the bugs out of) I hope you guys will be around. Thanks again. This is the best forum with the most helpful, knowledgable people out there!!!
image-3415083082.jpg   image-2021908015.jpg  
Unread 05-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #60
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well a few times since Saturday. The jeep has been bucking hard like fuel stopped up somewhere. Heck idk. Only happen from a cold start when I shift into second gear. Bucks for a few seconds then back smooth. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.