1993 yj 2.5 quit running wont start? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1993 yj 2.5 quit running wont start?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 05-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #31
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
Trans......try disconnecting the vss plug on the tcase. It's a long shot but it does have the capability to cause you a no start if the sensor shorts.
I don't know what's wrong with the forum. Won't let me post unless I post on someone's quote. Anyways Que89YJ it was worth a shot with the vss but same issues no start with it unplugged. Got a distributer a lunch from the parts house. Gonna go trough mine tonight after work. If there are any tips or instructions you gave me to what I may face I would greatly appreciate it. Never fooled with one before. Thanks

bedwards24676 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #32
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

With the cap off mark the rotor positon on the distributor and make sure it goes back in with the distributor rotor in the same position. The oil pump drive slot is the bottom on the distributor. You can use a regular screwdriver to spin it and line it up. Read these:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/d...place-1160434/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/d...-2-5l-1173859/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #33
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
With the cap off mark the rotor positon on the distributor and make sure it goes back in with the distributor rotor in the same position. The oil pump drive slot is the bottom on the distributor. You can use a regular screwdriver to spin it and line it up. Read these:
10-4 ill get to reading. I've read so much since yesterday morning my brain is about to bust. Thank buddy you don't know how much I appreciate it.
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #34
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Once again the forum won't let me post to the thread who knows? Got home took the distributer cap off and low and behold there was the problem right infront of me. The rotor had stripped out and spun 180 degrees. Turned it around it fired right up. Put a new one in and it fired right back up. Ran a little rough at first then after driving about 10 mins it was driving and running great. Who would've thought a $8 part would be suspect. I have to say a huge thanks to Que89YJ. You pointed me in the right direction and helped me with fixing my jeep. Thanks buddy. This forum is so helpful to new jeep guys like me. I learned a lot from this little problem. Thanks again guys! Back Rollin!!!
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #35
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedwards24676

Once again the forum won't let me post to the thread who knows? Got home took the distributer cap off and low and behold there was the problem right infront of me. The rotor had stripped out and spun 180 degrees. Turned it around it fired right up. Put a new one in and it fired right back up. Ran a little rough at first then after driving about 10 mins it was driving and running great. Who would've thought a $8 part would be suspect. I have to say a huge thanks to Que89YJ. You pointed me in the right direction and helped me with fixing my jeep. Thanks buddy. This forum is so helpful to new jeep guys like me. I learned a lot from this little problem. Thanks again guys! Back Rollin!!!
And btw the code 52 is gone. Only codes were 12,33,55. Back in business. Hope this helps a newbie like me one day.
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #36
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedwards24676

And btw the code 52 is gone. Only codes were 12,33,55. Back in business. Hope this helps a newbie like me one day.
Ok spoke to soon about the code 52. Drive it a little more. Heard one small backfire, pulled up at home check the codes again and it's back. Maybe you can give me some advice on what to look for here. Thanks
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #37
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

52 is a seperate issue. it it's definitely fuel pressure related. maybe a bad injector if the pressure is good. 31 at idle, 39 with the vacuum disconnected. the important one is the bleed down. of the injector is bad pressure will bleed off. you should be able to hold above 20 for 20 minutes.
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #38
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
52 is a seperate issue. it it's definitely fuel pressure related. maybe a bad injector if the pressure is good. 31 at idle, 39 with the vacuum disconnected. the important one is the bleed down. of the injector is bad pressure will bleed off. you should be able to hold above 20 for 20 minutes.
Sounds like a plan. Ill get that gauge from the parts store and see what I got going on tomorrow. Ill let you know.
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #39
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok fuel pressure test results. 68psi at idle, 69psi with vacuum disconnected, bleed out 40psi after engine shut down, and 35psi after 20 mins. Tested twice same results. Fuel pressure regulator bad??? Any thoughts???
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #40
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The next step is to make sure your return line isnt plugged. Disconnect the return line at the fuel rail and hook a hose up to it. run it to a gas can and with the fuel guage hooked up start it and recheck the fuel pressure. Irf it drops to 31 psi then the return line between the rail and the bottom of the tank is plugged. Post back what you find.
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #41
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedwards24676 View Post
Ok fuel pressure test results. 68psi at idle, 69psi with vacuum disconnected, bleed out 40psi after engine shut down, and 35psi after 20 mins. Tested twice same results. Fuel pressure regulator bad??? Any thoughts???
Yah thats *way* high. It'll burn out the pump if you don't fix it. The prob is going to be either the return line, or the regulator itself. Start with the return line and check that first. Very often they get pinched back by the tank.
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #42
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey "Pete"! Good morning! Have you noticed all the high pressure fuel issues popping up since the weather turned? I have seen at least 3 and 2 of them were because the tank warped and the return in the tank it getting blocked.
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #43
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Hey "Pete"! Good morning! Have you noticed all the high pressure fuel issues popping up since the weather turned? I have seen at least 3 and 2 of them were because the tank warped and the return in the tank it getting blocked.
I honestly have not been on here a lot lately but I believe you. I'm going back to school at the moment for CNC Machine shop. So I'm not around much lately, bummer.

I had to get bi-focals for school.... old dog is learning new tricks at community college!

Yah collapsed tanks and pinched return lines. Basically any time the weather changes a season such as summer to winter, that is when you will find all the faults and weak areas. Or in this case spring is changing to summer and now everybody is finding all the wrong things.
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #44
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The next step is to make sure your return line isnt plugged. Disconnect the return line at the fuel rail and hook a hose up to it. run it to a gas can and with the fuel guage hooked up start it and recheck the fuel pressure. Irf it drops to 31 psi then the return line between the rail and the bottom of the tank is plugged. Post back what you find.
Alright bud will do. That dang regulator is high. $70 man! Anyways I've got one on hold if that's the problem. I will trouble shoot the return line 1st and post results.
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #45
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ

Yah thats *way* high. It'll burn out the pump if you don't fix it. The prob is going to be either the return line, or the regulator itself. Start with the return line and check that first. Very often they get pinched back by the tank.
Will do Pete. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.