1993 yj 2.5 quit running wont start? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1993 yj 2.5 quit running wont start?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
getting close with no spark check your distributor cap and rotor
Can you give me advice on how to check the cap and rotor? Have not a clue. And btw thanks for helping guide the through this problem.

bedwards24676 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #17
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedwards24676 View Post
Can you give me advice on how to check the cap and rotor? Have not a clue. And btw thanks for helping guide the through this problem.
Like I said.... Check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail Schrader valve first, then let us discuss the sensor in the dizzy. First things first. I am trying to avoid you throwing money at this and then hoping it fixes the problem. If your fuel pressure tests are good, then the distributer sensor is likely, but why replace that before you even logically troubleshoot your problem? I am not sold on the no spark issue as your rig runs, despite it being rich. That coupled with the OBDI code stored. Perhaps your spark is weak... but I don't believe we are there yet.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #18
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
Like I said.... Check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail Schrader valve first, then let us discuss the sensor in the dizzy. First things first. I am trying to avoid you throwing money at this and then hoping it fixes the problem. If your fuel pressure tests are good, then the distributer sensor is likely, but why replace that before you even logically troubleshoot your problem? I am not sold on the no spark issue as your rig runs, despite it being rich. That coupled with the OBDI code stored. Perhaps your spark is weak... but I don't believe we are there yet.
OK perhaps you did skip timing. Just read through your description again and this could very well be the case. Did the original issue happen upon down shifting? I would expect different codes stored though besides running rich. Perhaps I will learn something here?
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #19
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby

OK perhaps you did skip timing. Just read through your description again and this could very well be the case. Did the original issue happen upon down shifting? I would expect different codes stored though besides running rich. Perhaps I will learn something here?
Yeah bud it won't run at all. This happened last night shifting through the gears I think from 3rd to 4th going about 35-40mph. Just skipped about 3 hard times cut off and won't start back. It seems to be spinning differently than before. Perhaps a little more free and then all of a sudden a catch kinda. For lack of a better explanation. I appreciate you trying to help and keep me from throwing money at it for no reason. So ill listen to any advice. But how I described is how it sits right now. I had to pull it home last night.
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #20
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

x2 with idaholtby. I think he is right.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #21
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedwards24676 View Post
Yeah bud it won't run at all. This happened last night shifting through the gears I think from 3rd to 4th going about 35-40mph. Just skipped about 3 hard times cut off and won't start back. It seems to be spinning differently than before. Perhaps a little more free and then all of a sudden a catch kinda. For lack of a better explanation. I appreciate you trying to help and keep me from throwing money at it for no reason. So ill listen to any advice. But how I described is how it sits right now. I had to pull it home last night.
Well then, have you verified your timing alignment? A quick gross check would be to rotate your crankshaft to where it is at zero degrees top dead center on the ignition stroke of the number one cylinder. Once there, verify that the rotor is pointing to the #1 cylinder post on the distributer cap. If not, then it may be necessary to pull the timing cover and check the alignment by verifying that the pulley marks align up when they should..
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #22
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby

Well then, have you verified your timing alignment? A quick gross check would be to rotate your crankshaft to where it is at zero degrees top dead center on the ignition stroke of the number one cylinder. Once there, verify that the rotor is pointing to the #1 cylinder post on the distributer cap. If not, then it may be necessary to pull the timing cover and check the alignment by verifying that the pulley marks align up when they should..
I haven't verified timing alignment. Only have about 30 mins before dark when I get off. And I go in at 5am. So not much time. But tonight my plans are to check alignment at tdc. pull the distributer cap and just have look to see what it all looks like. Like I said I can check tdc. But have never been inside a distributer before so its time to get my feet wet. What I know is I have a spark on only 1 cyl. And I feel like its trying to start on just that one cyl. That's the stuttering I am feeling when I turn the key and it wants to start every now and then. We will know more tonight I hope.
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #23
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
it sounds like the pickup sensor in the distributor.
If it was a pickup sensor would i still have a spark on #4?
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #24
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, you would or could. the pickup can replaced as a part of the entire distributor. The price difference is minimal. Replace the entire distributor, including cap and rotor. Mark the distributor and rotor postion before you replace it and make sure it goes back in the same way. Just curious, how many miles on the engine?
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #25
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, you would or could. the pickup can replaced as a part of the entire distributor. The price difference is minimal. Replace the entire distributor, including cap and rotor. Mark the distributor and rotor postion before you replace it and make sure it goes back in the same way. Just curious, how many miles on the engine?
128,000 on the engine. I've only owned it for about 3 months and have only put about 200 miles on it. Had to put a transmission, clutch kit, rear main seal while we had the trans out. And painted it. So just really started driving it last Monday. And then this Sunday. Oh well hope it's nothing major. Doesn't sound like it. Thanks ill see what I've got tonight when I get off.
image-3513420720.jpg  
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #26
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
$60 for a new distributer. Ill give it a shot.
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #27
Fozzybear42
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice looking yj!!!! Just keep listening to these guys and they'll get you through it. Good luck!!
Fozzybear42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #28
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzybear42
Nice looking yj!!!! Just keep listening to these guys and they'll get you through it. Good luck!!
Thanks buddy. Yeah I think they got me pointed in the right direction. This forum is full of helpful people.
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #29
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Trans......try disconnecting the vss plug on the tcase. It's a long shot but it does have the capability to cause you a no start if the sensor shorts.
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #30
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Trans......try disconnecting the vss plug on the tcase. It's a long shot but it does have the capability to cause you a no start if the sensor shorts.
Ok I'll give it a try when I go home at lunch. Will post results.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.