1993 yj 2.5 quit running wont start? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1993 yj 2.5 quit running wont start?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

1993 yj 2.5 quit running wont start?

Hey guys. I haven't owned this yj but a few months but really have only put about 100 miles on it. Replace the transmission and overhaul on body new paint inside and out. Just put it back on the road last week. Last night I was coming home running about. 35 or 40mph. It sputtered about 3 times real hard, went dead and now wont start. Had to tow it home. What little I have drove it. It sputters every now and then but then goes back to running ok for a 20 year old jeep. Last night it sputtered as jerked hard though. Any tips on where to begin? Fuel, spark, how to test the ECM or PCM? Any ideas on where to begin would be helpful. Hoping its nothing catastrophic. Spend a lot of money on this thing already. But need it running ASAP. Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks guys.

bedwards24676 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check your codes and post what you find:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...codes-1257145/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
Check your codes and post what you find:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...codes-1257145/
We were on the same page. Checked them at lunch. Here's what I got. 12,33,52,55. That's it.
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Where is the fuel pump located on this jeep, 93 2.5? What's the proper way to test if I'm getting fuel. At the rail? At the pump? Not really sure where the pump is located. But really haven't had time to look. It seems its spinning just a little more free than usual when I tried it last night. It would act like it was gonna start but just chug a few times and then back off?
Unread 05-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Spray some starter fluid into the throttlebody. If it cranks over then you have a fuel issue. You should hear the pump when you turn the key to start. 52 indicates that it is flooding. We will see what you have when you check for fuel and spark. A flooded start requires you to push the pedal to the floor to clear the fuel.
Unread 05-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Spray some starter fluid into the throttlebody. If it cranks over then you have a fuel issue. You should hear the pump when you turn the key to start. 52 indicates that it is flooding. We will see what you have when you check for fuel and spark. A flooded start requires you to push the pedal to the floor to clear the fuel.
Will do the starting fluid tonight after work. I am not hearing the pump when turning the key. Also last night I was holding the gas pedal to the floor when trying to start still nothing. The cel has not came on as well. Thanks for helping me try and get to the bottom of this. If its simple I need to avoid taking to a mechanic.
Unread 05-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Also I know that code 52 is saying its flooding I can't smell any gas at all???? So idk
Unread 05-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It has been backfiring a little so maybe running rich explains why.
Unread 05-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Que's suggestion will yield results if you are running lean and need additional fuel (if I am following this correctly). Either flooded or lean, I would suggest checking your fuel pressure at the rail using the Schrader valve. You can rent a tester from most auto parts houses. Check the pressure with the pressure regulator in control and then removed from control. Do this by removing the vacuum line from the pressure regulator that resides at the front most section of the fuel rail. While this vacuum line is removed, also check to see if it is wet with fuel. If so, then the regulator diaphragm failed and is allowing fuel to be drawn into the intake manifold via the vacuum line unregulated. Report back the reading you have at idle with the fuel regulator vacuum line connected and then when it is removed. Also, when the engine is shut down, check and monitor the pressure to see if it bleeds down quickly. If it does, then it could be either a bad fuel regulator, and or a bad injector(s). If your pressure is abnormally high, then again, it could be a bad regulator or a pinched return line. We can address these possibilities once you report back your findings.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby
Que's suggestion will yield results if you are running lean and need additional fuel (if I am following this correctly). Either flooded or lean, I would suggest checking your fuel pressure at the rail using the Schrader valve. You can rent a tester from most auto parts houses. Check the pressure with the pressure regulator in control and then removed from control. Do this by removing the vacuum line from the pressure regulator that resides at the front most section of the fuel rail. While this vacuum line is removed, also check to see if it is wet with fuel. If so, then the regulator diaphragm failed and is allowing fuel to be drawn into the intake manifold via the vacuum line unregulated. Report back the reading you have at idle with the fuel regulator vacuum line connected and then when it is removed. Also, when the engine is shut down, check and monitor the pressure to see if it bleeds down quickly. If it does, then it could be either a bad fuel regulator, and or a bad injector(s). If your pressure is abnormally high, then again, it could be a bad regulator or a pinched return line. We can address these possibilities once you report back your findings.
Ok sounds good ill stop by autozone and pick one up on the way home from work. Will report back what I find. Thanks
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Starting fluid nothing. There is fuel in the rail. No point of testing pressure because it won't start. At least I guess there is no point. Fuel pump is engaging when key is turned on. Engine spins over about 5 times then chugs spins the chug. Best way I can describe it to you guys. Could I have jumped time??? How would I know? Or worst case could my motor have kicked the bucket with no signs at all??? I'm stuck and on the fence whether to take it to the mechanic. Also after spinning over after spraying to small sprays of starting fluid a few seconds after trying it. The motor would hiss really loud. Could have been coming out if the throttle body and could've been from the starting fluid idk. Trying to find my spark tester to test spark.
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Good spark on #4, very faint spark on #3, nothing on #2, or # 1. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

getting close with no spark check your distributor cap and rotor
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

it sounds like the pickup sensor in the distributor.
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #15
bedwards24676
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
it sounds like the pickup sensor in the distributor.
Ok what would I need to do. Just drop in replacement? With no experience with ignition, timing, should I take her to the shop. I am mechanically inclined and can do plenty of things under the hood etc. but I'm not gonna tell someone I know what they are talking about when I don't. I'm very green to this sort of problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.