1993 yj with 2.5,ax5, converting 4.0 HO from 1994 cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1993 yj with 2.5,ax5, converting 4.0 HO from 1994 cherokee

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 09-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
kurt67

1993 yj with 2.5,ax5, converting 4.0 HO from 1994 cherokee

I have a 1994 Cherokee with a 4.0 HO, auto trans. I want to put the engine and trans into my 1993 YJ Wrangler. My Wrangler currently has, 2.5, ax5.
What is the best/easiest way to do it. I don't know where to start. If anyone can relay the details, I would greatly appreciate.

kurt67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
discussmith

My sons and I did this same swap into a 91 wrangler. It is fairly easy to get the 2.5 out and cut off the motor mounts. I was able to reuse the old ones. Bolt them onto the 4.0l and set the entire drive train into the wrangler. You can then weld the mounts to the frame after you get everything lined up to your satisfaction. The most difficult part of this swap for me was the electrical. I brought everything from the cherokee: (ecu,wiring harness,tranny ecu) and put them into the wrangler. The 91 wrangler had a split bulkhead in that 1/2 of it was for all the front lighting. The other half contained the few wires you will need to get things to work. This is the part that took a lot of study and searching. Not everything I needed was in the firewall bulkhead. The 91 YJ had some wires coming through a fire wall grommet to a different connector. Get online and read up. This is a common swap. It took chiltons and haynes from both vehicles and a purchase of a wiring cd for both vehicles to get all the wires I needed for the odd stuff like 4wd lights, backup lights, fuel guage, and other sending units etc. I also had a cable run speedo and took out the electric sending unit and kept the mechanical unit. I replaced things like water pump and belts etc. I did not have A/C in the wrangler but kept the 94XJ a/c comp. intact just in case I decide to add later. There are many things not included here. I did not document anything as it has been done already, but if you get into a situation you can find the answers here. Good luck. It was well worth the effort.
discussmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome!

Start here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...mation-537763/

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
Keepajeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

looking for this same type info. Engine already swapped. Need the engine/interior harness connection diagram
(inside firewall )for the following. They are a common connector, wiring changed and trying to determine/rule out wiring. It is a 10 point connector center of the fire wall. comes from engine harness through large rubber grommet in firewall

1994 YJ 2.5L interior
1991 YJ 4.0L engine

any help is greatly appreciated

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.