1993 Wrangler Electrical - Starting Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1993 Wrangler Electrical - Starting Issues

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 01-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Hemi2000

1993 Wrangler Electrical - Starting Issues

Hello, I'm a new member here. I just purchased a 1993 Jeep Wrangler from a friend. It's a 6 cyl automatic, sold new in California.

It is pretty much all original and has no obvious modifications to the engine or electrical system. My friend said it ran good before but one day he had a dead battery and tried to jump start it, he accidentally reversed the cable connections and things got hot in a hurry! He saw smoke and unhooked everything. It seems that a wire somewhere got hot and possibly melted but nothing appears damaged.

Now the car does not get any power from the (now charged) battery and will not attempt to start. I found a couple blown fuses and replaced them, no other obvious issues, same results.

Where do I start? Help!

Hemi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

are you getting any cranking of the engine at all?

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi2000 View Post
Hello, I'm a new member here. I just purchased a 1993 Jeep Wrangler from a friend. It's a 6 cyl automatic, sold new in California.

It is pretty much all original and has no obvious modifications to the engine or electrical system. My friend said it ran good before but one day he had a dead battery and tried to jump start it, he accidentally reversed the cable connections and things got hot in a hurry! He saw smoke and unhooked everything. It seems that a wire somewhere got hot and possibly melted but nothing appears damaged.

Now the car does not get any power from the (now charged) battery and will not attempt to start. I found a couple blown fuses and replaced them, no other obvious issues, same results.

Where do I start? Help!
First off you sent voltage with amperage through the ground system of your entire electrical system. That is not good.

First thing; what exactly does "will not attempt to start mean" in plain third grade English?? Does it make any noise or does it turn the engine but not start??

You need to do is get the starter system to respond. Right now the starter is not making any noise what so ever.

You checked/replace fuses...which ones? Where were they? Did you check the start relay in the PDC under the hood? See if your horn works. If it does swap that relay with your starter relay. See what that does. In fact if you horn does work check every relay you have in the horn relay position.

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Hemi2000

Ok, I checked the battery connections again, both were loose. I cleaned up the posts and cables and secured everything properly (before I had a dead key, nothing when turned, no lights, horn, starter, etc. just dead).

Now I have interior lights (horn does not work) and the starter motor engages, turns the engine over and all sounds normal.....However the engine just cranks over and does not fire at all, I have fuel and suspect it lacks spark.
Unread 01-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok, I checked the battery connections again, both were loose. I cleaned up the posts and cables and secured everything properly (before I had a dead key, nothing when turned, no lights, horn, starter, etc. just dead).

Now I have interior lights (horn does not work) and the starter motor engages, turns the engine over and all sounds normal.....However the engine just cranks over and does not fire at all, I have fuel and suspect it lacks spark.
Forget the horn for now... Humor me if you don't mind. Slide underneath the YJ and remove the electrical plug from the VSS sensor mounted on the transfer case. See if it starts then.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 01-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Hemi2000

Ok, tried that, no change. I do smell fuel now (flooded from cranking).
Unread 01-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok, tried that, no change. I do smell fuel now (flooded from cranking).
Check out this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/n...oblem-1294163/

Rat had the same problem with his '95YJ. Your '93 is essentially the same except wire colors are probably different. You can see what you are possibly up against.

After it all the VSS was shorted internally collapsing the 8 volt supply to it and two other sensors.

Unread 01-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do you see the check engine light on the cluster when you turn the key and does it go out after 3 seconds?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
Hemi2000

Success! It was a bad coil, swapped it out and she started right up!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.