1993 Jeep YJ owners - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1993 Jeep YJ owners

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 05-05-2003, 07:44 AM   #1
JohnnyJeep

1993 Jeep YJ owners

Can I get any opinions good and bad on 1993 jeep yj..I would greatly appretiate it
Thank you Much
JohnnyJeep

JohnnyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2003, 08:33 AM   #2
BamaJeeper

Get a 6cyl.
Unread 05-05-2003, 09:43 AM   #3
JohnnyJeep

Why the 6 just curious?
JohnnyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2003, 09:43 AM   #4
Pilky

Well iv been browsing these forums for a little while now....... im lookin for a Jeep also...... and all i can say from what i read is definitly get the 6 CYL.
Pilky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2003, 09:47 AM   #5
Pilky

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyJeep
Why the 6 just curious?
Like i said iv been looking for a Wrangler for quite some time now and did alot of research..... and learned alot more about them then what i orginal new (nothing) thanks to this forum...... i test drove a 97 4 CYL and i thought that it was under powered iv also heard that the 6 CYL is more reliable but that is based on word of mouth.
Pilky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2003, 10:22 AM   #6
hondatech

I have a 94 4 cylinder, 5 speed. While it's no powerhouse, it moves along quite well. More than enough for any on road riding I would do here in hilly western PA. And while I'm not an experienced off roader, I would guess that it will be powerful enough for all but the most intense off roading.
hondatech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2003, 10:30 AM   #7
tstrong12

I have the 6 and wheel with a bunch of guys with the 4 and they do just fine. I met up with some guys this weekend running 36" tires and a four banger. He was crawling up every nook and cranny he could find. They did say however they were looking forward to dropping a bigger engine in so if you can afford it up front go with the six, because you'll more than likely want to upgrade later.
No Sway Bar, No Rear Track Bar
Upgrading as money allows

BLACK JEEP CLUB MEMBER #19
tstrong12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2003, 10:31 AM   #8
withamc

While Jason Bunch competes with a 4 cyl TJ and does well, it's also had hundreds of pounds trimmed from stock configuration. If you want to go wheeling, you're gonna want a 6 cylinder. In the years I've been wheeling, most Wranglers I've seen on the trail have been 6 cylinders. Almost without exception, the owners of 4 cylinder Wranglers I've seen on the trail have expressed disappointment with the power. If you're gonna be cruising down fire roads, you'll probably be alright, but if you get into even moderate wheeling you won't be happy. And just wait till you've got to tug your buddy out of a rut.
Unread 05-05-2003, 11:37 AM   #9
Armory

I have a 93 YJ Sahara. Great jeep, I owned a 75 CJ before this and can safely say the jeep line keeps getting better. In-line 6 is the way to go. Very dependible and reliable. With a good air filter and some minor tweaks you'll be pushing 140hp no problem.

93’ YJ “Bouncing Betty”

ENGINE
Rebuilt 4.0L H.O. - Crane Camshaft - PaceSetter Air/FX Induction System - PaceSetter Headers - PaceSetter TFX Kat-Back System

SUSPENSION
SOA - RE 2.5 Springs - Rancho 9000's

OTHERS
35 x 12.5 x 15 Wrangler AT - Warn M8000 Winch - Tactical Console Light - Front & Rear Tow Hooks - UNIDEN 510XL CB - 3’ Wilson - Steel Horse Rock Gaurds
Armory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2003, 12:13 PM   #10
hondatech

How many HP is the 4 cylinder? I've heard 120-ish, if all you get for the added expense of the 6 cylinder is 20 hp, then it seems like you'd be further ahead buying a cheap 4 cylinder and putting a more powerful motor in, like a V8, or a more powerful 6. 140 isn't bad, but it's not exaclty a powerhouse. With the way everyone reccomends it, I'm a little shocked it isn't more powerful.
hondatech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2003, 12:20 PM   #11
clarky711
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The 4.0 High Output in newer YJs is 190 horsepower. I think these started in 91 or 92 when they made the 6 cyl. fuel injected. Look for this sticker for the H.O.

Mike

Previously: 01 TJ on 32s, 94 YJ on 33s, 89 xj on 31s, 97 TJ on 31s, 79 CJ5 on 31s.

http://www.AdirondackJeeps.com
clarky711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2003, 12:25 PM   #12
yeep

it aint the HP thats important....

its the torque. 4.2IL6 produces its torque between 1800 and 2400 rpm. perfect for wheeling. 4.0IL6 is at somewhat higher rpm, but not much. like my buddies on the race team say (world challenge C-5R corvette) "torque is twist and twist is what turns tires"
Blue Jeep Club Member #4.2
Follow Me To Certain Death Jeep Club Member #34

90 YJ V-8, big *** tires, cut, streached, locked.
yeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2003, 01:12 PM   #13
namtrah
2004 WJ 

Don't forget the supercharger!

Yeah I think I am obsessed with Turbo or Super chargers. I know they are expensive, but they sure do add some power. I am looking to get a 1993-95 YJ with the 4.0L. The 4 cyl sounds great for mileage, but that is about it. The six gives you that extra oomph you may need to pull out Fords and Chevys, hee hee
Unread 05-05-2003, 01:22 PM   #14
Armory

240 not 140, sorry for the typo (hadn't had my first cup of coffee yet).

The stock 4 puts out 123hp and the stock 6 will give you 180hp.

I looked into doing a V-8 mod but it's pretty pricey. The Dana 30 and 35c can't handle the load. So you have to switch them out and your tranny and driveshafts too.

You can drop a V-8 in a stock yj, but when you stomp on the gas things are going to break. Especially if you're running 33's.

Here's a good write up on the swap:

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dyna...e%2Fihscout%2F

The inline 6 with rear lockers is all you really need. Unless you have lots of money to blow.

93’ YJ “Bouncing Betty”

ENGINE
Rebuilt 4.0L H.O. - Crane Camshaft - PaceSetter Air/FX Induction System - PaceSetter Headers - PaceSetter TFX Kat-Back System

SUSPENSION
SOA - RE 2.5 Springs - Rancho 9000's

OTHERS
35 x 12.5 x 15 Wrangler AT - Warn M8000 Winch - Tactical Console Light - Front & Rear Tow Hooks - UNIDEN 510XL CB - 3’ Wilson - Steel Horse Rock Gaurds
Armory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2003, 08:42 PM   #15
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you get the 6-cyl and pop it (like I did twice) the newer Jeeps with the AX15 tranny can handle a Chevy 350 fairly well. Advance Adapter's can help you mate a 350ci to the AX15. The AX5 in the 4-banger doesn't really have enough jam to handle the output of power from a 350ci engine.

If you want the better gears, get a 4-banger, and plan for a V8 swap later down the road - but you will need a new tranny (and possible t-case as well).
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.