1993 Jeep Yj Not Starting. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1993 Jeep Yj Not Starting.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
23bubba
1993 YJ Wrangler 

1993 Jeep Yj Not Starting.

I have a 1993 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 I6. I just recently installed A Performance Distributors Firepower Ignition Kit from Quadratec. It included a new Distributor, Rotor, Spark Plug wires, and ignition coil. I didnt start at first but i could pump the gas and get it started/running. I drove it for a day but it had a rough idle and it would sputter and kick while driving down the road at any speed. Now it wont start at all it will turn over but thats it. I just installed new spark plugs to see if it would help still no good. Any suggestions? Could it be Distributor timing, battery cables, ect....

23bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

First off pumping the gas on a fuel injected engine does nothing so that was just a coincidence.
Maybe you didn't get the plug for the coil seated all the way and it's not getting voltage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23bubba View Post
I have a 1993 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 I6. I just recently installed A Performance Distributors Firepower Ignition Kit from Quadratec. It included a new Distributor, Rotor, Spark Plug wires, and ignition coil. I didnt start at first but i could pump the gas and get it started/running. I drove it for a day but it had a rough idle and it would sputter and kick while driving down the road at any speed. Now it wont start at all it will turn over but thats it. I just installed new spark plugs to see if it would help still no good. Any suggestions? Could it be Distributor timing, battery cables, ect....
Unread 02-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
JimenyFKrickets

Sounds like the crank sensor...
JimenyFKrickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Could be.
If something is gonna crap it always seems to happen after you replaced something else just to ruin your day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimenyFKrickets View Post
Sounds like the crank sensor...
Unread 02-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
papa_panda

If your getting spark I would check the distributor timing- I replaced the dist. on an old chevy I had once and it behaved very similar to what yours is doing- it was only off by one one gear tooth, but that's enough... as far as the engine's concerned you may as well have a blown timing chain.... bring the timing mark on the harmonic balancer to 0 deg and remove the dist. cap- the rotor should be pointing either directly at or directly away from the #1 terminal...hope this helps...

Marine Corps Jeep Club Member #7

White Jeep Club Member #350
papa_panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I could be mistaken but I think he just changed the cap because I looked up the kit he got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_panda View Post
If your getting spark I would check the distributor timing- I replaced the dist. on an old chevy I had once and it behaved very similar to what yours is doing- it was only off by one one gear tooth, but that's enough... as far as the engine's concerned you may as well have a blown timing chain.... bring the timing mark on the harmonic balancer to 0 deg and remove the dist. cap- the rotor should be pointing either directly at or directly away from the #1 terminal...hope this helps...
Unread 02-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
89jeep2
1989 XJ Cherokee 

If at all possible, put out stuff back on. If it runs like it should, then you know for sure that the new parts are defective or not installed correctly. In addition, this procedure(if it still doesn't run with old stuff back on) will conclude that it is not the new parts.

Have you checked to see if you hooked up the spark plug wires in the correct order? Spark plug order is on intake manifold.
89jeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #8
23bubba
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i got it running my ignition coil plug was a lil loose and changing the spark plugs helped quite a bit too. So far its been running fairly good. Time will tell. Thx!
23bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.