1993 4.0 Automatic Starting Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1993 4.0 Automatic Starting Issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
Zavaslacker
1993 YJ Wrangler 

1993 4.0 Automatic Starting Issues

As the title states, I've got a 1993 Wrangler 4.0 Automatic that is having starting problems. I did a search already on the forum to see if someone has had a similar problem, and came up with a few possible fixes, but I figured check and see what you all have to say before I throw money at it.

Symptoms:
Cranking with no start, the occasional stutter. Smells like engine is flooding.

Checked:
Spark - Tested by pulling plugs and placing on block, all three tested spark, Plugs apprer to be in good shape

Fuel - Did not have a meter, but pushed in valve and got a strong shot on several occasions. Can hear the pump priming when key is turned on.

Fuses - Visual inspection, none blown

Engine Codes - Codes 12,33,55 none of which I believe have a relation to the starting of the Jeep.

Coolant / Oil - No Cross contamination

Tried:
Starting fluid - Sprayed into manifold,no stutter or different response from when no fluid was used

Replaced Cap,Wires,rotor, and plugs(5/6) could not reach the back one till I get my other tools tomorrow. The cap and rotor had minimal corrosion on them, but replace anyways

Going to Try:
Sensor on Distrib. - Try to replace sensor on distrib tomorrow, dont believe to be problem though because I can see spark

Waiting Game - See if a change in weather will help her to start up tomorrow.

She started and ran great yesterday with no symptoms, today I got no start as described. Only difference was it was very wet and muggy here today. I cant think of any other tests to try other than a compression test, which I can get the tool tomorrow to try. Any help here would be much appreciated

Zavaslacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
shaggyjim
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Its a longshot but I would test my ignition coil, it might be getting weak. I would also jumper out the neutral safety switch on the transmission and see if that helps.

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"

"I love cats, I just can't eat a whole one!"
shaggyjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.