Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

1993 4.0 Automatic Starting Issues

651 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  shaggyjim 
#1 ·
As the title states, I've got a 1993 Wrangler 4.0 Automatic that is having starting problems. I did a search already on the forum to see if someone has had a similar problem, and came up with a few possible fixes, but I figured check and see what you all have to say before I throw money at it.

Symptoms:
Cranking with no start, the occasional stutter. Smells like engine is flooding.

Checked:
Spark - Tested by pulling plugs and placing on block, all three tested spark, Plugs apprer to be in good shape

Fuel - Did not have a meter, but pushed in valve and got a strong shot on several occasions. Can hear the pump priming when key is turned on.

Fuses - Visual inspection, none blown

Engine Codes - Codes 12,33,55 none of which I believe have a relation to the starting of the Jeep.

Coolant / Oil - No Cross contamination

Tried:
Starting fluid - Sprayed into manifold,no stutter or different response from when no fluid was used

Replaced Cap,Wires,rotor, and plugs(5/6) could not reach the back one till I get my other tools tomorrow. The cap and rotor had minimal corrosion on them, but replace anyways

Going to Try:
Sensor on Distrib. - Try to replace sensor on distrib tomorrow, dont believe to be problem though because I can see spark

Waiting Game - See if a change in weather will help her to start up tomorrow.

She started and ran great yesterday with no symptoms, today I got no start as described. Only difference was it was very wet and muggy here today. I cant think of any other tests to try other than a compression test, which I can get the tool tomorrow to try. Any help here would be much appreciated

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.