1993 2.5L Jeep Wrangler Build/5.2L Swap - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1993 2.5L Jeep Wrangler Build/5.2L Swap

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-05-2012, 04:33 AM   #76
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have spliced 100's of harness's. You do it with both out of the vehicle. You never cut unless you have to. Use the smallest number of wires to swap. Opening the back shell if the harness position for both controllers is best. I don't remember where the Dakota ecu was at. It's been too long.Either way I pmd you with my number if you need to call.

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #77
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Been busy. Trying my hardest to pull the engine and drivetrain this Easter weekend. Anyways, I got the Transfercase and Transmission pulled.

Only a couple things left to do in the engine compartment then I can pull that sucker out.

Then during the week I'll install the SYE and input shaft into the Transfer-case and get it all hooked up to the transmission.

I have a Fuel rail from a 93 Dakota on the way as well. Only things left to get is the CPS, Starter, and Clutch Kit.

Then I have a place that will weld the motor mounts in, and will even help me get it all measured out.

Have a Happy Easter everyone... assuming that anyone reads this

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1993-2-5l-jeep-wrangler-build-5-2l-swap-1210512
Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #78
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynfw100 View Post
So I'm making sure this is how you did it bmg: You hooked up the 5.9L computer and 5.2L harness up to the engine as far much as you could, and the remaining wires that didn't have a home were probably the ones needed to splice into the Jeep's harness. Using the FSM from the Wrangler & Your donor vehicle, you figured what those wires were, and spliced them. Just making sure I got this correct.
Yep, that's the gist of it. It took a lot of comparing the diagrams to figure out what went where.

My YJ Build Thread Magnum 5.9L 360, full width SOA
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #79
stoveguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

one thing to keep in mind the ecu pinout is the same just has the additional injectors

MODIFY, ADAPT, & OVERCOME
stoveguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #80
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoveguy01 View Post
one thing to keep in mind the ecu pinout is the same just has the additional injectors
So are you saying If I swapped over the wires from the Jeep harness onto the truck harness that I need to swap, that's all I'd have to do?

Quote:
Interesting. Looking at the 2 of them they are almost a perfect one for one on the ecu. If the current harness was long enough you could use it and only have to add 6 wires. The O2 sensor at pin 23, The injectors at pins 17, 18, 38, and 58, and the starter relay(Not sure about the starter setup. If you go the other way and use the truck harness you need to see what you can do to preserve the engine harness connections to the body that go to power/ground from the YJ harness to the PDC and bulkhead to the cluster. That would be 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 11, 12, 25, 29, 32, 43, 47, and 57. All these wires currently at the ecu in your old harness and are needed to interface to the exact same pins on the truck ecu harness. The other wires on the new harness should just connect up to the sensors on the engine. I am not sure about placement of the new ecu but if it is close to where the original ecu sits then you might be able to do this easy by taking the back shell of the connectors off and just pull the pins out of the old connector and put them in the new one. I will have to look at the starter relay to figure out the differences there.
Ok. This is starting to make more sense. So, If I use the truck harness (I'm pretty set on this), and swap the corresponding pins/wires from the old harness, to the same use as 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 11, 12, 25, 29, 32, 43, 47, and 57 on the truck harness, then in theory it should start up? Basically what I'm saying is, let's say wire number 4 on the pinout for the Jeep harness is the VSS signal, I would pull number 47 on the truck harness and plug in the number 4 wire from the Jeep harness into slot 47? What tools do I need to swap wire pins?

EDIT: Since the Fuel pump wire is on the Jeep engine wiring harness, don't I need to swap that as well?

Does anybody have a pinout for the 93 Wrangler, possibly PM it to me?

Anyways, I got the engine and tranny pulled and possibly sold. Trying to get the last remaining things for the entire drive train to sync up. I have the Pilot bushing for the crank coming in tomorrow, 92-01 4.0 one. The new clutch kit is also bought and being shipped, so that should mate the transmission to the engine.

Next, I'm currently looking for a early gear cut 23 spline input shaft for the transfer case because the shaft I have out of a NP249 has the late gear cut. Once I find that, or shell out the extra money to get the conversion one. I can connect the T-case to the transmission. I post pictures tomorrow, as I just got off of work and it's too dark outside

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1993-2-5l-jeep-wrangler-build-5-2l-swap-1210512
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:31 AM   #81
stoveguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Theres several ways to do this my whole point in my statement wich sounds like you you got it is that its not as difficult as it sounds. Ive done this swap 3 times now and getting ready to help 2 friends do this swap. Gd luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask

MODIFY, ADAPT, & OVERCOME
stoveguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #82
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, that is what I was saying in my post. Your only issue in trying it is the wire placement in the harness. The engine controller pinout is very similar but the wiring to the injectors, sensors, etc. would be too short/long because they are setup to plug into the 4.0L. You could just remove the wiring from the ecu 4.0L that you need and pull out the other wiring for the ecu and just put them right into the 5.2l ecu connector. The only thing I am not sure of is where the 5.2L controller was located in the engine compartment. If it was loacated in the same relative location then the wiring is easy. If it was on the other side then they harness will be long and a little more difficult to wire.
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #83
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The only thing I think I am a little confused on is the starter wired into the ecu. That doesn't make any sense and I don't remember testing it. That really shouldn't matter though if you keep all the Jeep wiring for the starter and the fuse setup and just pull the pins listed and put them into the 5.2L ecu.
Unread 04-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #84
R3V413
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed. I am going to be doing this same swap here in a few weeks. Keep the updates coming!

"Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."-Mao Zedong

"For Those Who Fought For It, Freedom Has A Flavor The Protected Will Never Know"-Unknown

00 TJ on 31x10.5x15's- DD
89 YJ-Under the Knife
R3V413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #85
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, so I've got my input shaft on it's way, my clutch kit on the way, and a new Pilot Bearing (mine was wrong) on the way. Looking for somebody to Rent/Sell a Engine Cherry Picker here locally, so I'll head out to a place tomorrow that rents this kind of stuff.

Today, I cut the Motor Mounts off. Definitely no going back now.

It was a Son of a Gun to cut the Driver's side mount off with those brake lines there. But got it all smoothed out.

Took me about 2.75 cut off wheels (Started with .5, used 2, had to run to the store for more, used about .25 of 1 of them). This advice will be universal for cutting off the mounts: Cut them to friggen pieces

By this, if using a 4-1/2" cut off wheel, cut stuff just enough so that you can get the blade to cut all the way through the main welds. After that, just smooth the welds out individually.

I believe that atleast by next week the engine/drivetrain will be able to go into the Jeep, Fingers Crossed.

Unread 04-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #86
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's looking good. The motor mounts for the Jeep engines are a #%$#%$ to find. As long as you are going to a non Jeep engine......cuttin' them to pieces gives you a littl' satisfaction!
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #87
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, you're all in now. The new mounts can be bolted or welded on, I welded mine. Also, I set my motor in place with the trans attached and mounted on the skid plate. The stock skid mount holes put the motor in the perfect spot.

My YJ Build Thread Magnum 5.9L 360, full width SOA
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #88
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgadg View Post
Yep, you're all in now. The new mounts can be bolted or welded on, I welded mine. Also, I set my motor in place with the trans attached and mounted on the skid plate. The stock skid mount holes put the motor in the perfect spot.
Just curious because We've had this big long discussion on how we're going to 1. get the drivetrain into the vehicle 2. Weld the motor mounts 3. make sure everything is spaced evenly. How can you bolt the motor mounts on?

We have 2 different plans. My father's is where we put the Transmission in the Jeep, tow the Jeep to a place across town, have the engine in the back of the vehicle and have them crank the engine up and place it in and weld from there. - I don't like this idea because basically you have to 'Guess' with the transmission, and completely defeats the idea of spacing the motor how I want.

Or my idea, is having a Engine Cherry Picker put at least the transmission bolted to the engine on (at my house), Put it in, space it out check clearences and either mark where the mounts need to be welded, or have them tacked in, and then drive across town to have some real welds put in. - I like this idea, because that way we can space everything out, and we don't have to guess where the transmission has to go initially.

The biggest thing is, we don't have enough power to run a welder out where we live.

Unread 04-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #89
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynfw100 View Post
I've got one of those

Albeit older, but definitely one of those.

And after about 1 hour of searching the web, and a legit Factory service manual, here is this.

Courtesy of our friends over at dodgeforum.com
Make sure it matches up to the computer you have because they DO change from year to year. When I did my 98 Vortec swap I was having issues with the VATS so I swapped in a computer from a 96. They changed up pin locations of 2 of the injectors and a couple of other things dealing with sensors. I ended up getting the original computer that came with my engine reprogrammed to delete the VATS and all the auto tranny and TC controls as well as the after cat O2 sensor.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #90
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowdogMarc View Post
Make sure it matches up to the computer you have because they DO change from year to year. When I did my 98 Vortec swap I was having issues with the VATS so I swapped in a computer from a 96. They changed up pin locations of 2 of the injectors and a couple of other things dealing with sensors. I ended up getting the original computer that came with my engine reprogrammed to delete the VATS and all the auto tranny and TC controls as well as the after cat O2 sensor.
I got the computer from a 94 Dodge Truck, and harness from 94 Dodge truck. The 94's and 95's are basically identical. This Pin-out is from a 95... but it all matches the 94 wiring diagram on post 57 I believe.

I can't speak for OBD2 wiring though. Thanks for the heads up

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.