1993 2.5L Jeep Wrangler Build/5.2L Swap - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1993 2.5L Jeep Wrangler Build/5.2L Swap

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 04-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #61
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Does the harness you bought have the pdc and the ecu?
I do not know what the PDC is. I think that stands for Power Distribution center? Which is like a fuse box or something? If so, I don't think so.

I am a wiring tard

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1993-2-5l-jeep-wrangler-build-5-2l-swap-1210512
Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #62
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It is the fuse box that is under the hood.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #63
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It is the fuse box that is under the hood.
In that case, no. The harness I bought doesn't have it. My Jeep has one under the hood.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1993-2-5l-jeep-wrangler-build-5-2l-swap-1210512
Unread 04-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #64
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Then I get what he is saying. You need to hook up the PCM to you Heep under hood harness. Do you have the wiring diagram for both the truck and the Jeep?
Unread 04-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #65
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Then I get what he is saying. You need to hook up the PCM to you Heep under hood harness. Do you have the wiring diagram for both the truck and the Jeep?
Yes I do. It's on post #57 I believe. The left hand diagram is the 93 2.5L's Engine harness, and the right hand diagram is the 94 5.2L Dakota engine harness. I was going to color code stuff, and make a legend on the side... But I only got so far before I realized I had no idea what went where.

Unread 04-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #66
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That's a drawing. You need to get a wiring diagram and a meter. The dakota harness is going to need to be integrated with the PDC that you have under hood. I don't have one handy but the way I am looking at it you are going to leave the pdc and everything else alone. If you get the info I can walk you through more of it. Alldata.com should have what you need.
Unread 04-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #67
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You have to remember, Clueless Mcgee over here.

The wiring diagram that you need, is it the one that lists the wire functions or what not?

Something like this?

Unread 04-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #68
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That is part of the pins for the ecu. If you find the entire list I will try and give you a hand with a wire for wire swap. You are going to need a meter too.Time to learn a new skill!
Unread 04-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #69
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

OK! Haha. Now we're getting somewhere.

When you say meter? Whatdya Mean? Multi-meter?

Unread 04-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #70
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Like this:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CKQBEPMCMAA#

You need to be able to measure resistance and voltage. Dont forget you still need the entire list of pins at the ecu.
Unread 04-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #71
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've got one of those

Albeit older, but definitely one of those.

And after about 1 hour of searching the web, and a legit Factory service manual, here is this.

Courtesy of our friends over at dodgeforum.com

Unread 04-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #72
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Interesting. Looking at the 2 of them they are almost a perfect one for one on the ecu. If the current harness was long enough you could use it and only have to add 6 wires. The O2 sensor at pin 23, The injectors at pins 17, 18, 38, and 58, and the starter relay(Not sure about the starter setup. If you go the other way and use the truck harness you need to see what you can do to preserve the engine harness connections to the body that go to power/ground from the YJ harness to the PDC and bulkhead to the cluster. That would be 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 11, 12, 25, 29, 32, 43, 47, and 57. All these wires currently at the ecu in your old harness and are needed to interface to the exact same pins on the truck ecu harness. The other wires on the new harness should just connect up to the sensors on the engine. I am not sure about placement of the new ecu but if it is close to where the original ecu sits then you might be able to do this easy by taking the back shell of the connectors off and just pull the pins out of the old connector and put them in the new one. I will have to look at the starter relay to figure out the differences there.
Unread 04-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #73
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here's my advice having gone thru this once before...

Leave the old jeep harness in place, just move it to the side. I cut mine out, then found out later I needed to splice into a few of those wires. Find a place to mount the new computer (mine is beneath the battery tray) then run the new harness from the computer to all the various sensors. The other end of the harness should have 2 or 3 connectors. Cut those off then look at your donor vehicle diagrams to see what those wires are, then find the corresponding wires on the jeep harness and put the two together.

I know that's rather vague, but that's how would attack it. I spent a good 2 days looking at the wires in the jeep harness and documenting what colors did what job, and then doing the same on the donor harness. Both being Chrysler products you'll notice that the systems are very similar, just different wire colors.

My YJ Build Thread Magnum 5.9L 360, full width SOA
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #74
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Interesting. Looking at the 2 of them they are almost a perfect one for one on the ecu. If the current harness was long enough you could use it and only have to add 6 wires. The O2 sensor at pin 23, The injectors at pins 17, 18, 38, and 58, and the starter relay(Not sure about the starter setup. If you go the other way and use the truck harness you need to see what you can do to preserve the engine harness connections to the body that go to power/ground from the YJ harness to the PDC and bulkhead to the cluster. That would be 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 11, 12, 25, 29, 32, 43, 47, and 57. All these wires currently at the ecu in your old harness and are needed to interface to the exact same pins on the truck ecu harness. The other wires on the new harness should just connect up to the sensors on the engine. I am not sure about placement of the new ecu but if it is close to where the original ecu sits then you might be able to do this easy by taking the back shell of the connectors off and just pull the pins out of the old connector and put them in the new one. I will have to look at the starter relay to figure out the differences there.
I get what you're saying, instead of cutting and splicing the wires into each other, you're saying swapping the actual wire out. Do you have the Wrangler's ECM connector pins diagram?

Unread 04-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #75
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgadg View Post
Here's my advice having gone thru this once before...

Leave the old jeep harness in place, just move it to the side. I cut mine out, then found out later I needed to splice into a few of those wires. Find a place to mount the new computer (mine is beneath the battery tray) then run the new harness from the computer to all the various sensors. The other end of the harness should have 2 or 3 connectors. Cut those off then look at your donor vehicle diagrams to see what those wires are, then find the corresponding wires on the jeep harness and put the two together.

I know that's rather vague, but that's how would attack it. I spent a good 2 days looking at the wires in the jeep harness and documenting what colors did what job, and then doing the same on the donor harness. Both being Chrysler products you'll notice that the systems are very similar, just different wire colors.
Before I pull the motor tomorrow, I will do as you said and throw the Wrangler's harness off to the side, after labeling each wire end of course.

So I'm making sure this is how you did it bmg: You hooked up the 5.9L computer and 5.2L harness up to the engine as far much as you could, and the remaining wires that didn't have a home were probably the ones needed to splice into the Jeep's harness. Using the FSM from the Wrangler & Your donor vehicle, you figured what those wires were, and spliced them. Just making sure I got this correct.

Que89YJ's way sounds cleaner, but I do like that bmgadg has done this before (and it's a solid plan for a wiring dumdum like me ).

I typically like to have some sort of idea/game plan, before I start something (ie. wiring) so that's why I'm asking so early.

Anyways, I'm getting my motor mounts tomorrow. All day tomorrow, I will take the 4 banger for it's last drive (to make a video to help sell the engine), label the wires in the harness, and (hopefully) pull the motor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.