1993 2.5L Jeep Wrangler Build/5.2L Swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1993 2.5L Jeep Wrangler Build/5.2L Swap

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Reply
Unread 02-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #16
czjeeper
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Washougal, WA
Posts: 1,506
Get yourself a set of FSM's from ebay to get the electrical diagrams. Makes it too easy. Just pay attention when you do it. I missed a wire or two and it caused a headache for a day or two.
I'm using the Dakota bellhousing and it works great.

__________________
US Army combat vet
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.6
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
bmgadg
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by czjeeper View Post
Get yourself a set of FSM's from ebay to get the electrical diagrams. Makes it too easy. Just pay attention when you do it. I missed a wire or two and it caused a headache for a day or two.
I'm using the Dakota bellhousing and it works great.
x2, service manuals for the yj and the donor are essential. Wiring really isn't that hard after you study the diagrams and start digging in. Good luck with your swap!
__________________
92 YJ Trail Project
06 XK Commander Daily Driver

My YJ Build Thread Magnum 5.9L 360, full width SOA
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
Rynfw100
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgadg View Post
x2, service manuals for the yj and the donor are essential. Wiring really isn't that hard after you study the diagrams and start digging in. Good luck with your swap!
Thanks!

I'm really getting antsy here... Can't find a full 5.2/5.9 that's manual. I have another quick question because it seems easier to find the computers for manual transmission vehicles/wiring harnesses, but easier to find the engines out of automatics.

Can I take an Engine out of an automatic, throw on a Manual transmission computer and wiring harness without too much trouble?
Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
czjeeper
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Washougal, WA
Posts: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynfw100 View Post
Thanks!

I'm really getting antsy here... Can't find a full 5.2/5.9 that's manual. I have another quick question because it seems easier to find the computers for manual transmission vehicles/wiring harnesses, but easier to find the engines out of automatics.

Can I take an Engine out of an automatic, throw on a Manual transmission computer and wiring harness without too much trouble?
Depending on year, it may or may not.
My PCM stores a code for no transmission info, but doesn't throw a check engine light.
__________________
US Army combat vet
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.6
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #20
Rynfw100
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by czjeeper View Post
Depending on year, it may or may not.
My PCM stores a code for no transmission info, but doesn't throw a check engine light.
My current situation is that I have the chance to get a 95 5.2L out of a Grand Cherokee (which came automatic) with accessories for a very good price. I'm just thinking of grabbing a 94-95 Dodge truck's wiring harness and computer that had a standard transmission and splicing the Jeep's harness into the Dodge's. That's why I'm curious if this will work.

Just gotta find the harness and computer.
Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #21
czjeeper
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Washougal, WA
Posts: 1,506
Get a same year PCM and you should be good to go.
Not sure that you would need a different harness...I didn't.
__________________
US Army combat vet
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.6
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #22
bmgadg
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 457
My 5.9 engine came from a 96 auto. I used a 5.2 manual wiring harness from a 95, and a 5.9 manual computer from a 95. The parts are very interchangeable between all the various configurations, but I would recommend you keep it simple and use a manual harness and computer if you're using the ax-15.

No adapters are needed to run an ax-15 behind any magnum mopar v8, just a dakota bellhousing from the mid 90s.
__________________
92 YJ Trail Project
06 XK Commander Daily Driver

My YJ Build Thread Magnum 5.9L 360, full width SOA
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #23
Rynfw100
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgadg View Post
My 5.9 engine came from a 96 auto. I used a 5.2 manual wiring harness from a 95, and a 5.9 manual computer from a 95. The parts are very interchangeable between all the various configurations, but I would recommend you keep it simple and use a manual harness and computer if you're using the ax-15.

No adapters are needed to run an ax-15 behind any magnum mopar v8, just a dakota bellhousing from the mid 90s.
Alright, sounds good. I'm going to pick it up this weekend and finally start making progress on this project.. Appreciate your help thus far.
Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #24
Rynfw100
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 473
Anyone have a good reliable source in which to find a Computer and Wiring harness for a Manual transmission? It's really tough to find a truck with a standard transmission here in town to root a wiring harness out of.
Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #25
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 14,546
Car-parts.com
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #26
bmgadg
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 457
Got my junk from the local "u pull it" junk yard. Manuals are pretty common in 5.2 dodge ram trucks.
__________________
92 YJ Trail Project
06 XK Commander Daily Driver

My YJ Build Thread Magnum 5.9L 360, full width SOA
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #27
Rynfw100
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgadg View Post
Got my junk from the local "u pull it" junk yard. Manuals are pretty common in 5.2 dodge ram trucks.
I called everywhere... nobody even had a 5.2l in stock, even called places 2 hours away.

I had tried Car-part.com before, never came up with anything... until I realized my mistake... I had it set for only AZ.

Went nationwide search, I have a computer and wiring harness being shipped to me out of a 94 Dodge Ram.

Just going to pick up the actual engine in the next day or two.

Then commences rebuilding everything.
Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #28
czjeeper
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Washougal, WA
Posts: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynfw100 View Post

Just going to pick up the actual engine in the next day or two.

Then commences rebuilding everything.
You may be suprised.
I pulled mine apart and found the cylinders to be in great shape.
I just cleaned the pistons and installed new rings.
On the negative, it needed a crank, but we have a crank rebuilder locally that is pretty cheap. Overall, I didn't have any block machine costs.
__________________
US Army combat vet
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.6
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #29
bmgadg
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 457
^this, I rebuilt mine completely, but you may can get away with just doing new bearings and rings and a good cleaning.
__________________
92 YJ Trail Project
06 XK Commander Daily Driver

My YJ Build Thread Magnum 5.9L 360, full width SOA
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #30
Rynfw100
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 473
Alright, well talk (and money) has finally turned into an engine being in my back-yard. Looks pretty solid, the AC line have been snipped, the 2 pvc valves are missing, and just a bunch of the wiring harness is still attached, cut at the end.



Going to find an engine stand, and start dismantling/cleaning everything. Got my Computer and wiring harness in the mail, so waiting on those.

Gonna wait until Tuesday, and purchase a rebuild kit for the engine. Anybody have a good priced one that they're happy with?
Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.