1993 2.5L Jeep Wrangler Build/5.2L Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1993 2.5L Jeep Wrangler Build/5.2L Swap

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 05-06-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

1993 2.5L Jeep Wrangler Build/5.2L Swap

Hi guys,

I've done a couple of modifications to my Jeep, also plan on doing more (Jeep Bug?) and I figured I'd document them on this thread. Here's my Jeep when I first bought it.

It is a 1993 Jeep Wrangler S with 140,000+ miles on a 2.5L 4-Banger with that "oh so trusty" AX-5 behind it. The Jeep originally came on 235/75/15s on some American Racing Rims, Sony X-plod deck, Autozone Seat Covers, and not much more. The engine has a little bit of blow-back in the Air Filter, typically the most after a long drive (To and from trails )

The first mod I did to it was the speakers in the rear were weak, and I had some 500 watt 6x9s sitting that were supposed to go in my other vehicle, but I had sold it. Basic wiring to the deck, and using velcro to attach the speakers to the Carpeting.

After driving it about a year, I noticed it lacked a lot of clearance when dealing with certain areas around Arizona, I began enjoy the look of larger tires on a Jeep. I also wanted further performance off-road, however, I lacked the funds to buy a lift kit, so I decided to go with a Bastard pack. I found some rear leaf springs from some guy off Craigslist off of a 87 S-10 Blazer and a 90's Silverado. Let me tell you, those Silverado's springs are some thick stuff. Anyways, I finished in 2 weekends, one end at a time. I gained about 2-3 inches in the Rear, while netting 3-3.5 in the front. Here's a little timeline I whipped up.

The end result allowed me to fit 32x11.5x15s on Black Steelies, with tons of room in the front, but not so much the rear. A little trimming will help until I can locate some TJs or am willing to tackle some Tube fenders. I added a little more support up front using the Silverado springs for future plans of a V8 swap.

The ride was atrocious, especially in the front where I put the Silverado springs. I decided after a bit of research that removing those Track bars would allow for a softer suspension ride. After 45 minutes on the front, and 4 hours on the Rear (seriously, Torx Bits? ), a broken Clamp, and a bolt stuck in the bar's bushing, they finally came off. It was a fairly straightforward process, just a pain at some points. It softened up the ride, so instead of a brick that had no flex at all over bumps, it's now a brick with some suspension .

My next little project was getting some new "junkyard" mirrors after I got tired of having useless pieces of plastic attached to my doors. I grabbed some mirrors off a Chevy & Ford Van, and only got one attached due to the mirror arms breaking and bolts twisting, so it's back to the pick n pull... again. I'll post some pictures tomorrow of the one, and will describe the process with some pictures if needed.

The main reason I decided to make this thread was to detail the 5.2L 318 V8 swap that I'm planning on doing. I've had tons of help throughout my research process, now it's on to finding the parts needed.Which is a little difficult around here because everybody thinks their V8's are made out of Gold. So I'll be scouraging through CL looking for either a Donor vehicle or Engine by itself, along with an AX-15 Transmission, and all the goodies.

But in the near future, I'm going to make some home-made Quick Disconnects, find another mirror arm/mirror, make a Oil catch between the breather and the airbox, and Hi-lift mount between the rear roll bars. Thanks for Reading, and trust me I won't be mad if it was tl;dr

Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
Brazuca
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job! What did you do between the before and after ? Was there a lift in place but with the smaller tires ? I don't mean the "way after" picture, just the "after". Nice looking YJ. I'm glad that I'm not the only one looking into get a 4 cyl. Thanks.
Brazuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazuca View Post
Nice job! What did you do between the before and after ? Was there a lift in place but with the smaller tires ? I don't mean the "way after" picture, just the "after". Nice looking YJ. I'm glad that I'm not the only one looking into get a 4 cyl. Thanks.
Thanks!

The rear end was the one that was lifted in the "After" picture, I took it between the Two-weekends it took me to do the lift.

Anyways, I got to making those Quick disconnects. It was only a pain because the bolts that run through the top of the Sway Bar Links were stuck in the Sway bar. It took me about 2 hours to figure out the first one, and it was mostly spent trying to figure out how to do it without busting out the Angle Grinder. Another 20 minutes on the other side and done. For roughly $7.00 in parts, it was worth it. Tried out the disconnects, takes me about 5 minutes to take them off and on. Here are some Poser shots until I can find something that will flex them suckers

Unread 05-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No real updates except I found an AX-15 out of a 1997 TJ up in Phoenix, going to go up next weekend to pick it up, comes with clutch, all the goodies, and everything for $300.00. I believe this is a good deal. Anyways, is there some sort of thing I need to change from running with a AX-5 which I believe is internal slave, to the external slave? I appreciate any help!

By the way, if anybody that happens to read this and have a 23 spline input shaft for the NP231J or spare AX-15 NP231J that they don't need/ want to sell, pm me.

One other thing, going just North of Sonoita, to the Coronado Nation Forest to go spelunking this Sunday. To get to the "Cave of the Bells" you need a 4x4, so I'm going to take this thing for it's first romping since the lift. I'll try to take some pictures. If you want to come, Just let me know
Unread 05-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynfw100 View Post
No real updates except I found an AX-15 out of a 1997 TJ up in Phoenix, going to go up next weekend to pick it up, comes with clutch, all the goodies, and everything for $300.00. I believe this is a good deal. Anyways, is there some sort of thing I need to change from running with a AX-5 which I believe is internal slave, to the external slave? I appreciate any help!

By the way, if anybody that happens to read this and have a 23 spline input shaft for the NP231J or spare AX-15 NP231J that they don't need/ want to sell, pm me.

One other thing, going just North of Sonoita, to the Coronado Nation Forest to go spelunking this Sunday. To get to the "Cave of the Bells" you need a 4x4, so I'm going to take this thing for it's first romping since the lift. I'll try to take some pictures. If you want to come, Just let me know
The line coming off the clutch master won't connect to the external slave. You can either adapt it to fit or get a whole new master/slave combo. I went with a new prebled combo just to be sure.

My YJ Build Thread Magnum 5.9L 360, full width SOA
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgadg View Post
The line coming off the clutch master won't connect to the external slave. You can either adapt it to fit or get a whole new master/slave combo. I went with a new prebled combo just to be sure.
Sounds good. I did some research on this subject, and it's not that high of a priority, however It will get done once the engine swap commences.

Still looking for the input shaft for the NP231, Engine, ECU, and Harness at the moment.

My current project that I'm going to work on tomorrow is a High-lift jack mount between my Rear rolls bars, and a Blow-by Catcher to get all of the oil that seems to want to spray out like a Super-soaker. I'll get pictures of that tomorrow as they progress.

Here are some shots of today, north of Sonoita. It was a fairly rough/rocky terrain, however for the first time being taken off-road since the lift, I have to say... It performed like a champ. Only thing being the Oil-blow-by... but a new V8 will fix that soon enough, or atleast a Catch in the mean time

Unread 05-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #7
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, my updates are slower than I expected... however I got enough things done to make one.

First things first, my dad found a Hi-Lift for $20.00 working condition besides the bent bar. I decided to mount it using the idea from the "homemade" YJ stuff thread.

I plan on getting a sleeve that will attach the bar to the center, since the mount wouldn't work by flipping the Hi-Lift to have the handle on the top. For now it will work.

Today, I finished the container that sits in between the breather elbow and the air box. It should help keep all of the Oil blowback I have from making it to the air filter. Also an idea taken from the "homemade" thread. It cost me about $30.00 for everything, and was pretty straight forward. The materials list:
1/2 foot of 3" pvc pipe
2 - 3" pvc caps
2 - 5/8" barbed brass fittings w/ 1/2" thread
1 - 1/2" brass elbow
2 - Metal Grate Circle to fit in the Caps
1 - Sheet of Air Filter Material - Can be found at any store that sells Cooler Materials
5 foot of 5/8" Rubber Tubing
4 - hose clamps to fit around the Rubber tubing
1 - hose clamp to fit around the pvc pipe

You just drill into the caps, put the brass fittings in, put the metal grate on the tops of the pvc caps, squish the air filter material in between, push the caps together, drill into the firewall using the hose clamp to hold the canister, measure and cut the rubber tubing, and attach. The only thing is the breather elbow and the Valve cover have a specific twist fitting, so you may have to modify the bottom of the elbow to get it to fit. Any questions, just ask

Lastly, I've started collecting parts for the engine swap. I found an AX-15 from a Forum member and currently I am dealing to get a NP231 transfer case to fit behind it. The guy who sold me the tranny also sold me the flywheel to the 4.0L, I'm just wondering if I'm going to need it considering I'm going with a 5.2L? Any insight is appreciated.

Next round of business is to start looking for the engine, and getting the finances to afford it. Also, the bellhousing off of a V-6 Dakota .

Until next time (notice - no more update deadlines cause I'll never meet them)
Unread 05-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The 4.0 flywheel is not re-used. You need to get one for a 5.2.

Unread 01-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #9
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!

I've been absent for a couple months on this thread. However, it wasn't all for naught.

I've been working 2 jobs, and promoted in both fields, so that has not only been taking a bit of time, but it has been raising the funds so that I can do this swap pretty straightforward without too much delay.

I'm going to buy the engine in the next couple of weeks because I've reached my financial goal, plus I have a big return going to save my butt . Currently looking for either a 318ci or 360ci magnum instead of solely the 5.2L. I figure, the extra size would help, but whatever is available in my area I will go with.

I've also decided to do this swap 100% right, by doing rebuild on the AX-15 that I bought, doing a mild rebuild on the engine, rebuilding my current Np231 while adding the 23 spline input shaft and SYE, and using Backwoods Offroad for the Wiring harness splicing. The cost just went through the roof

A quick question for the knowledgeable. Is a specific engine stand needed for the 318/360 engine block?
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No, no specific engine stand. The 5.2L and the 5.9L are the block different bore/stoke. i wanted to follow a swap on a Dodge block. If you need help with the wiring/electrical let me know.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Good ole harbor freight stand did the trick for me.

Unread 02-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Still looking for an engine locally, when I get home this afternoon from work I'm going to call some scrap-yards around town.

I've been getting antsy and I want to start rebuilding my transmission. My question being, do I need an arbor press in order to completely do the rebuild, or can I smack the bananas out of it and get the same result?
Unread 02-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
ROWA

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Why don't you take out the 2.5L and rotate it 180deg and put it back in 2.5L to 5.2L
Wouldn't be easier to find a Grand Cherokee donor with the Engine, transmission and transfer case intact. I know the AX15 is strong enough for the 5.2L, but do you need an adapter plate to match it up (Not sure)?

The best Engineering is no match against natural Stupidity.
ROWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #14
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Good choice on the 5.2 I love mine and my best bud loves his!
ETA: If you are going OBDI, there is seriously no reason to pay for a harness, if you have a pulse.
Wiring will take you less time than gathering the parts!
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #15
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by czjeeper View Post
Good choice on the 5.2 I love mine and my best bud loves his!
ETA: If you are going OBDI, there is seriously no reason to pay for a harness, if you have a pulse.
Wiring will take you less time than gathering the parts!
I can take a look at the wiring harnesses, it's just that I have .001% experience when dealing with wiring/electrical/remote batteries... Wouldn't know where to start.

Quote:
I know the AX15 is strong enough for the 5.2L, but do you need an adapter plate to match it up (Not sure)?
I have 2/3rds of the total stuff needed for the swap already (AX-15 and NP231). The AX-15 is bolt on to the 5.2L block by using a mid-90ish V6 Dakota Bell housing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.