1992 YJ Won't Shift Into Gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1992 YJ Won't Shift Into Gear

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
fyallm
2012 JK Wrangler 

1992 YJ Won't Shift Into Gear

Went out to my jeep started her up, and went to put it in reverse and nothing, it wouldn't go. The clutch feels really loose and its pretty easy to push it all the way to the floor without very much effort. When I shut the jeep off it goes into gears without pushing in the clutch (which should be normal) but I don't even know where to begin, Clutch's are not my specialty so any help will be appreciated!

fyallm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Have you checked the clutch MC fluid level?
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
fyallm
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have not, where would I be able to check that?
Unread 06-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
Jeepsr4me

Unread 06-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
fyallm
2012 JK Wrangler 

Is this it?

I would imagine since I don't really see any fluid it means its empty?
Unread 06-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Jeepsr4me

Yeap. You low... and got a leak.. Fill it up and see how long it takes for it to all go bye bye... I milked one along for months.. But you dont want to know what I put in it..... Just get a bunch of brake fluid.. Good thing is you about to get new clutch....
Unread 06-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
fyallm
2012 JK Wrangler 

What kind should I put in it? I think the cap just says DOT 3. Something like this will work: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=33408_0_0_ ?

So that's the short term solution, how do I fix it long term?
Unread 06-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just got a prebled master/slave from rock auto for $111 shipped (although mine is an external slave to it took me about 30 min to do). If you don't have any fluid by the master it is more than likely the slave went out. If that is the case you will have to pull the tranny to swap it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
trabag18
1992 YJ Wrangler 

hey this same thing happend to me what you want to do is fill the master cylinder with brake fluid then check and push in the pedal a few times and see if fluid is leacking from the the bell housing if it is you need a new slave cylinder and since its a 92 its internal so you need to pull the tranny to replace it. and if it leaks inside the fire wall on your feet you need a new master cylinder
trabag18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
fyallm
2012 JK Wrangler 

Alright, just bought some prestone dot3 brake fluid about 24oz so we will see if that is enough. I didn't notice any thing leaking inside near my feet before but i will check after I fill it up. Where is the bell housing? Of course I can't find my haynes manual right now :/
Unread 06-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
trabag18
1992 YJ Wrangler 

where the transmission bolts to the back of the engine the oil pan ends right before it youll figure it out and just watch for clear fluid dripping out
Unread 06-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
fyallm
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ahh ok, i think I know where you are talking about and if my memory serves me right I think I might have seen something dripping there before and i couldn't figure it out, but hopefully not. Also I just found my manual and i want to make double sure I'm looking at the clutch MC because the manual says it should be translucent but mine is black.
Unread 06-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
trabag18
1992 YJ Wrangler 

it can turn black over 20 years mine dide just from the rubber and plastic breaking down if it is black just get some on your fingers to to check if its oil like consitencey or brake fluid like
Unread 06-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #14
fyallm
2012 JK Wrangler 

Alright will do, thanks again for the help. Going to do this when I get back home tonight
Unread 06-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
Jeepsr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyallm View Post
Ahh ok, i think I know where you are talking about and if my memory serves me right I think I might have seen something dripping there before and i couldn't figure it out, but hopefully not. Also I just found my manual and i want to make double sure I'm looking at the clutch MC because the manual says it should be translucent but mine is black.
yes its the black one.

Tags
clutch , gear , shifting issues

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.