1992 YJ: waterproofing electrical components? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1992 YJ: waterproofing electrical components?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
Mudlife92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

1992 YJ: waterproofing electrical components?

Hello,
I have a 1992 YJ and would like to know what all it would take to water proof my electrical components and anything else that could short out or fail due to water, just want to be prepared on the trails and for sudden down pours. especially when i like to push my rig to its limits. thanks ahead of time!

Unread 09-01-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
UboatCmdr
1991 YJ Wrangler 

As far as electrical components go, dielectric grease on all spark plug /coil boots.
Silicone around the distributer cap, and pull the throttle position sensor off(back of throttle body) and silicone/rtv around the face of it.

my yj has been through water upto the top of the hood multiple times and the only issue i have had was the tps before i siliconed it.(Yes my yj does have a snorkel and super long diff breathers)

Dont forget to pull some drainplugs if you dont like driving in a pool!
UboatCmdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
Mudlife92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

alright thank you! any breathers or lines need to be relocated to go hood deep? im savin for a snorkle now but want to water proof it all in one project
Unread 09-03-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
Douglas S.

All your axle and transmission breathers will need to be extended. Start saving for a diesel...
Unread 09-07-2011, 12:58 AM   #5
Mudlife92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

alright thanks alot, shes gettin a 4bt when the engine goes but only got 69k miles so i got time to find one and build it up first

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.