1992 YJ Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1992 YJ Help

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 11-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
scoot_mcgrute
1992 YJ Wrangler 

1992 YJ Help

Hey guys, my buddy Paul talks about this place quite a bit, thought I would sign up and see if I can get some help with my Jeep.

I got in a hurry the other day when hooking up some jumper cables and hooked them up backwards. When I realized it, I hooked everything up proper and it cranked but wouldn't fire. I also noticed some smoke coming from the computer area of the firewall. I unhooked the battery, let it sit overnight, and threw another battery in it to see if it would start. It still didn't start (just cranked) and more smoke came from the ECU.

I blew both of the 50A fuses for the alternator but that seems like all of the fuses for now. It's a 2.5 and my computer has 56027 380 on the side, a buddy has one that has 56027 364 on it from a 93. Will these be compatible?

I'm usually very anal about the jumper cable process process but I let my guard down and it's biting me in the butt.

Scott

scoot_mcgrute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Any 91-95 2.5L YJ computer will fit. The XJ 2.5L will work too but they had Nuetral saftey switches and had security in some of them too. There is a good thread to check the power going into the ecu on pins 3 and 9 and the 30 amp fuse in the PDC for the ignition run start. If you have power to those pins and you have a no start then ecu replacement time. Call my friend Chris, and tell him Que sent you. He will give you a good deal. If you dont have power follow the instructions and they will get you pointed in the right direction:

Troubleshooting thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...lained-490788/

Parts:
http://www.cfoffroad.com/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
scoot_mcgrute
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Perfect, once I figure out how to keep it from letting the rest of the smoke out, I will see what happens.

I'm guessing that when the battery was hooked up backwards, a couple of wires in the harness got hot and are arcing out.

Unread 11-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

too bad you arent here, theres a 95 2.5 at the upull with the comp still in it for $30.
And welcome to jeepforum!
Unread 11-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Good turning radius or is something broken?

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

might be worth while asking for someone with a yj in the junkyard near by to pull the ecu for you and mail it to you, you pay, of course.
Unread 11-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
scoot_mcgrute
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJames90 View Post
Good turning radius or is something broken?
Is that a lot of turning? It's got the MORE steering on it but everything else should be standard. I've only had it a few months so I'm still learning about this Jeep thing .

I've got a line on that 93 ECU for cheap, just still going through the harness to make sure it's all good before I pick it up from him.
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
scoot_mcgrute
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like I may have found the issue. I looked at all the wires in the harness and everything checked out ok. I plugged the computer back in and after a minute or 2, the ECU started smoking again. I unplugged it from the battery and then unplugged the harness from the ECU.

The pin for the Auto Shutdown Relay came with the plug. I'll slap a new relay in it and button it all back up once I get the new ECU. Here's to hoping it fixes it!
Unread 11-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There isn't a short on the ecu? Keep us updated.
Unread 11-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
scoot_mcgrute
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
There isn't a short on the ecu? Keep us updated.
Not sure exactly. Since they decided to pot the ECU, I can't tell what is going on. I've got the harness all back together and in place, tomorrow I will get that new computer sent down.

I did notice tonight that the IOD fuse was blown. I have stripped the alarm wiring out of it and the dual battery kit wiring (single battery now) and found the fuse blown after that.

What does the IOD fuse do?
Unread 11-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Supplies all the nonessential powee to devices. They pull out for shipping to stop battery drain.
Unread 11-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
scoot_mcgrute
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry, been busy with getting ready to transition into a new job in a couple weeks.

Does the auto shutdown circuit cut the fuel?

I haven't gotten the new computer just yet but tried starting it tonight just to see if it would and I can't hear the fuel pump kick on right now. Didn't start of course...
Unread 11-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The fuel pump is controlled by the computer and you let the smoke out of it!. If you want to know if the fuel pump is good jumper pin 30 to 87 on the fuel pump relay.
relay.gif

Unread 11-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
scoot_mcgrute
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all your help! New to this type of system so I appreciate it.

I got my new to me ecu tonight and it fired right up and ran like a champ! Alternator seems to still be charging too. I think I did a lot of extra work but I now know more about the Jeep and diagnosing it's little issues that I may encounter.

Now it's time to button it all back up and take it for a spin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.