1992 YJ audio issue - do I need an amp, and if so which one? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1992 YJ audio issue - do I need an amp, and if so which one?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 07-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
papotter
1992 YJ Wrangler 

1992 YJ audio issue - do I need an amp, and if so which one?

Aloha JeepForumers,

I recently decided to buy some center pod speakers (2 6'' speakers, http://www.quadratec.com/products/14136_400_07.htm) and installed them. I switched these out with my stock speakers in the front. So currently I'm running the 2 6'' speakers in the front and 2 4'' speakers in a soundbar above me head.

The problem started when I got on the highway and turned it up loud. It sounded great for a while then started to crack and then just die. I did some troubleshooting myself and found out the following:
  • The problem isn't with the audio input - the EQ bars on my deck still jump when I play songs through AUX in
  • The crackling happens in both sets of speakers, so I know it's not a problem with the speakers themselves
  • I double-checked the speaker connections (wiring) and everything looks fine and connected

My thought is this: am I trying to power the speakers with too weak of a deck? Do I need an amplifier, and if so what would you recommend? I need one that I can secure in my car, I only have a bikini top.

Thanks everyone!

Phil

papotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Try disconnecting the new speakers and see if it makes a difference. The new speakers might have a lower impedence and the deck may not be able to push the required power at higher volume. If the problem persists with the new speakers disconnected, I would check the headunt. Make sure the ground and all connections are good and solid.

You can try the amp, but I think the issue is with the headunit. If you domget an amp, go for a Marine grade one. Polk makes a great one for cheap. Pyramid is kinda a junk brand, but not horrible. MB Quart is a decet trade off of price and quality.
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

Did you install new wires with the speakers?
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #55
tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i would say its a short or something like that since the head unit was powering the stock ones and over head ones previously. 6" speakers aren;t going to require tons more power that makes a normal head unit not be able to handle them. i would check your stereo ground first, the one behind hte head unit.
Unread 07-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If the new speakers are 2 ohm versus the factory dash speakers at 8 ohm the factory headunit can't push the load the new speakers require.

I also think its a bad ground as well.....
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

How do you have it wired? Did you tap into your existing speakers' wires or did you find the correct wiring for front and rear? Next is the rms output of your head unit. Is it enough? I run an amp in my jeep because the head unit has enough power to make the dash speakers audible at 80mph topless and doorless but don't even fizzle the 6x9's behind me a bit even in the quietest of environments. Do you need an amp? I dunno. The page you linked to says they run at 90 rms. that's a lot and maybe someone is confused here. (quite possibly me). I would check your wires and call VDP tomorrow and ask if they recommend an amp. Karen will most likely pick up the phone so ask for Bob. He's the big boss.
Unread 07-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What are the speaker specs? And what volume did you turn it to/what is the max?

Is this same issue happening if you were to try it now, or when the volume is cranked, does it immediately crackle (or sound like feedback?) Also, what input are you using? Iphone 4 and 4s are notorious for producing feedback at high volume. The charge of the phone and the charge of the system isnt equal, so this causes a very audible crackle at higher volumes. This doesnt sound like your issue, but its something to think about.

Personally, I suggest rewiring for a speaker amp. A nice 4 channel, 500 or 600 watt amp would be perfect in this scenario. You could run the small speakers from the head unit and the 6in from the amp, or all from the amp. From a stock head unit with aftermarket speakers, sound quality at high volumes will always suffer, and like people on here have suggested, the impedance won't always match between the two. An amp gives you much more flexibility. If your 6in speakers are rated for 200 watts max, they can probably handle 60 watts of continuous power (Im using Polk Audio 6in speakers as an example). Your head unit puts out a MAX of 50watts (mine maxes at 42 LOL) so thats only 10-15 watts continuous power. This means you are essentially running your speakers at 1/4 the potential. Stock speakers sound great from a head unit because they were designed to run at that wattage. Aftermarket speakers, on the other hand, produce excellent quality and clarity, but in order to do that, it requires more power. Your head unit will make those speakers sound great at low volumes, but as soon as you crank it up, it sounds like crap because the speakers are being severely under powered.

Just something to think about... A good speaker amp costs only 100-150 bucks and it will tremendously improve sound quality. It will need only about an 8 or 10 gauge wire from the batter as well, so it will be easy to wire, configure, and hide. Currently I have a 12 inch sub with a dedicated amp (im not some gangster listening to hippidy hop, i prefer good ole country LOL) and a four channel speaker amp under the backseat of my YJ. I can crank the volume wayyy up and it sounds great. At 70MPH with the top and doors off, I can still clearly hear my music (cops probably can too! LOL). I do a lot of commuting, so this was a decision I made so that I can commute in my jeep and not get bored

Im not necessarily saying that this is your problem. Im just saying its something to consider
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
lucas07770
1994 YJ Wrangler 

if you do decide on an amp i would recomend MBQuart i have there 4channel along with 2 6.5" speakers and 2 6.5" subs that amp has been through tons of rain and going strong. Not to big can easily be screwed to the bottom of the seat
lucas07770 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amplifier , audio , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.