1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ - Vibrations around 45mph - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ - Vibrations around 45mph

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!2003-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight Dark Background wi

Unread 11-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
ridgeback_king
1992 YJ Wrangler 

1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ - Vibrations around 45mph

Hey guys, just looking for your opinions on the problem here.

I purchased a 1992 Jeep Wrangler about 3 months ago and I'm experiencing some vibrations from below (drive shaft area) when I accelerate between 42mph - 47mph. It does not vibrate unless I'm pressing on the gas.

I've replaced the U-Joints on the rear drive shaft and it calmed the vibration down a little bit, but it's still there.

I've taken the jeep to three separate mechanics and they said they weren't able to find anything wrong with the rear driveshaft or steering components. One guy recommended that I find someone to balance the drive shaft.

The tires are pretty worn, and need to be replaced soon... but I don't think they are the problem, because they'd vibrate regardless of whether or not I'm pressing the gas... right?

Everything is stock from what I can tell.
No lift kit.
30" tires.

I'm thinking about replacing the drive shaft all together. Would it be pointless to get a rear drive shaft with a SYE even though I don't have a lift? I want to add a 2.5" lift in about a year or so.

I just want to remove the vibration before I do anything.

Thoughts?

ridgeback_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check you trans mount to see if it's worn out and motor mounts as well just to rule that out.
Unread 11-06-2013, 04:43 AM   #3
SeanB95YJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

^^^ what he said to start with

but given you're reporting vibes on accelleration indicates your pinion might be just a tad too high, that on acceleration, the pinion is "climbing" throwing the angles out of whack - and that wouldn't be evident to a mechanic just looking at the jeep sitting on the ground (or up on a lift)

also for your other question... no, it wouldn't be pointless to go SYE even with no lift... the slip yoke is a weak link - get rid of it
Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
swap/build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...hread-1542284/
SeanB95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
ridgeback_king
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you both for the suggestions. I know the motor mounts look great, but I'm not sure about the tran mount. I'll take a look.

As far as the pinion being too high, are there any tests or particular ways of checking to confirm this? I'll google and research, but I figured I'd ask.

Thank you guys for the help!!
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
SeanB95YJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

yes... a cheap ($5-10) magnetic base angle finder available at most hardware stores

for a stock driveshaft (single u-joint at each end with slip-yoke in back of T-case) you want the pinion angle to be parallel with the T-case output. if it is currently parallel, then you'd need to shim the pinion down a degree or two to account for the pinion climb during accelleration I mentioned above.
Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
ridgeback_king
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Gotcha!

Just a quick question. Does a SYE usually remove problems with pinion angles if they exist?

I obviously want to be sure that the angles are good, just a thought.

Thanks!
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
ridgeback_king
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here's the right and left of the mount... I'll be replacing this mount regardless this weekend, but just wondered if you guys think it's the culprit.
photo-2.jpg   photo-1.jpg  
Unread 11-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
ridgeback_king
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well I went ahead and installed a new transmission mount and no luck gettin rid of the vibration. The existing mounts looked very old, but probably still did their job.

Next step, get some readings on these driveline angles and we'll see from there.

Thanks for the help so far.
Unread 11-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
ridgeback_king
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Had a pretty busy weekend and couldn't find time to take the rear drive shaft off for some angle measurements, but I took a quick photo and, in photoshop, placed some red lines where I estimate the angles to be. Take a look for yourself. It's hard to see this when you're under the Jeep, but with a photo it makes a lot more sense.

Does look to you guys like my pinion angle is too low?
photo-1.jpg  
Unread 11-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
squishy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgeback_king
Had a pretty busy weekend and couldn't find time to take the rear drive shaft off for some angle measurements, but I took a quick photo and, in photoshop, placed some red lines where I estimate the angles to be. Take a look for yourself. It's hard to see this when you're under the Jeep, but with a photo it makes a lot more sense.

Does look to you guys like my pinion angle is too low?
Looks to me your springs are starting to invert. Which changes the dline angles. And before you throw money at a new dline just to lift the jeep and need another one try getting your current one balanced. It's not to expensive.
Unread 11-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
SeanB95YJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

with a stock driveshaft, the output of the Tcase should be parallel to the pinion.... so given your pic (red lines) your pinion is too low and needs to come up. I made a quick add to your pic to show what the angle roughly should be... the yellow line is parallel to your Tcase output red line

dline.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.