1992 Jeep Wrangler Wont Turn Over - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1992 Jeep Wrangler Wont Turn Over

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 06-14-2004, 11:45 PM   #1
hipsinking

1992 Jeep Wrangler Wont Turn Over

Hello i have a 1992 jeep and it wont start the fuel pump works the battery is new and checked it all the lights work ,but when i try to turn her over she dont crank ,but once in a while it does ,i checked the codes out 33 17 13 and they have nothing to do with my problem please need help thanks

4 cylinder , 5 speed

ps < the engine does not turn over at all

hipsinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2004, 01:05 AM   #2
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipsinking
Hello i have a 1992 jeep and it wont start the fuel pump works the battery is new and checked it all the lights work ,but when i try to turn her over she dont crank ,but once in a while it does ,i checked the codes out 33 17 13 and they have nothing to do with my problem please need help thanks

4 cylinder , 5 speed

ps < the engine does not turn over at all
how about clicking? do you hear a click from the solenoid when you turn the key? other then that it sounds like the starter is going.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2004, 02:27 AM   #3
hipsinking

hipsinking

yes i hear clicking but not really sure if its comeing from it ,the jeep only starts when it wants to lol ,anyways u think i should check the starter realy swith with a tester if so where the heck is it lol u see the cover that gos over all them relays is gone and there all exposed thats how we got the car from the dealer and i have know idea what each of the relays go to any help ????
Unread 06-15-2004, 05:44 AM   #4
JKNIPE2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipsinking
yes i hear clicking but not really sure if its comeing from it ,the jeep only starts when it wants to lol ,anyways u think i should check the starter realy swith with a tester if so where the heck is it lol u see the cover that gos over all them relays is gone and there all exposed thats how we got the car from the dealer and i have know idea what each of the relays go to any help ????
no its probably your starter solenoid. tap on it with a piece of wood (something that wont break it, just shake it around). then try to start and see if it acts any different.
JKNIPE2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2004, 05:44 AM   #5
rpickett

I agree with sentinal02 if it does start sometimes. The next time it won't start try tapping the starter motor with a hammer then try to start again if this works then its the starter
rpickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2004, 05:45 AM   #6
rpickett

JKNIPE2000 beat me by a few seconds
rpickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2004, 08:23 AM   #7
hipsinking

ill be back

hello thanks guess i just woke up and im gonna start to work on it ill check out thos things ill be back later to let u knows how it goes :P
Unread 06-15-2004, 08:34 AM   #8
sonic289

I had the same problem just a few weeks ago. I even jumped the solenoid from the battery directly and the solenoid was working fine. You could hear it moving just fine. To further complicate the matters if you jumpstarted it with another car it would start just fine.

I just ended up buying a new starter and this fixed the problem but in hind sight I wish I would have cleaned all the connections on my starter first. There is that huge wire that bolts on the starter and I believe that that wire was corroded. So start by taking a wire brush to all the connections on the starter first. If that doesn't fix it then a new starter probably will.

Also be aware that I have a 91 Wrangler and it needed some kind of crazy Torx socket to removed the bolts that hold the starter in place. They look like normal bolts but really they have a strange bolt pattern. Hard to explain but you'll see what I mean when your under there.
1991 Wrangler, all black (EDIT: Now Flat Tan), 2.5 liters of raw horsepower, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5" Mud Kings, Black Steel Wheels, Borla Exhaust, Line-X'ed interior, LED taillights, Cavalier front seats, etc. Khaki Jeep Club Memeber No. 2

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab, Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, etc.
sonic289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2004, 09:35 AM   #9
hipsinking

lol hell ya i see what u mean lol but anyways i jumped the solenoid and cleaned all connctiones and now it works fine it evenstarts everytime but i dont know how long it will last for lol ,yup sounds like u have the exact same problem as me when we jumped it with an other car it would start weird Huuuhh,anyways its working now i cleaned to connectione to the starter and solenoid and now it work s but what di u think was wrong with it lol has to be something???? either the solenoid or starter ??
Unread 06-15-2004, 10:37 AM   #10
hipsinking

my jeep pics

Unread 06-15-2004, 10:41 AM   #11
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

if the connections are corroded then you don't get full power to the starter and it won't turn over. cleaning them up takes care of things. if it goes on you again somewhere, don't forget you can pop start a manual. that should get you home. also, the socket you need to get those crazy bolts out to change the starter is an E12 torx head socket. if you have to take them out, don't try anything else as you'll probably just end up stripping the heads

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2004, 11:06 AM   #12
hipsinking

thanks man dude iv been jeeping all damn day long lol and so far so good i cleaned every singal electrical connection there was all the grounds to i really hope that was it ,but ill let yas know how things turn out .plus thanjk for all the help guys

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.