1992 2.5L lifters inspection and cleaning. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1992 2.5L lifters inspection and cleaning.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 12-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
Tyd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

1992 2.5L lifters inspection and cleaning.

I've read a lot of stuff about clicky/tappy lifters and rockers in wranglers. I pulled them out of my 2.5L to take a look at them because i recently had a big clicking noise appear. The lifters are a just starting to get concave, so ... new lifters and camshaft soon. (I could actually look down with a flash light into where the lifters were and see the cam wear. Not terrible but there.)

But!, I cleaned the oil muck off them with a brass brush as well as cleaned the oil paths in the rockers and guides and ... clicking is highly reduced / gone. It will come back as the lifters and cam wears I figure. But hey ... removing them was easy (at least in the 2.5L) ... gives you a good idea about your camshaft health ... and may help.

p.s. here's a nice argument i found for why you need to replace both the lifters and the cam. Go down the page to "Replacing worn tappets and cams." http://www.v8engines.com/engine-4.htm#v8gen Basically boils down to: If your lifters are worn , your cam is worn. If you put new lifters on a worn cam, the cams going to wear them back down in a hurry.

p.s.s. Make sure if your going to pull your lifters out with a lifter removal tool, the tool has a real good grip on the lifter when you pull. If you drop them while you're pulling them up out of the engine you get to chase them around down there and try to stand them back up so you can get a hold of them again. REALLY fun. ... Not that I made that mistake ... but ... i knew this guy who had a friend who did ... just saying.

Last edited by Tyd; 12-03-2011 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: seems i can't post pictures. removing links and references. bummer.
Tyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I remember putting new lifters in my last engine, and priming them with a small oil gun. When they are primed from pumping a small amount of fluid into the lifters, you hear a small snapping noise of the diaphragm inside, indicating its primed.

Tags
1992 yj , 2.5l , camshaft , lifter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.