1991 YJ 4.0L dies when hot (tough one) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1991 YJ 4.0L dies when hot (tough one)

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #16
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumakis View Post
Tried a few things, but not the CSPS yet.

Testing for resolution is tough. It takes a while to heat up to the point of quitting, and we tend to stop for beers when out 4beer4ing. Even enough downhill seems to give it sufficient time to rest.

As I have time to try things and test properly, I'll keep posting on it.

Thanks, all.
My money is on the CSPS. Your symptoms are exactly what mine were until I replaced the Crank shaft position sensor. Has not had a problem since.

WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #17
Akumakis
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Discussion was re cam pos sensor, not crank pos sensor. I replaced the latter prior to initial post; no effect. I see the cam pos sensor is in the distributor; I'll dig one out of a wrecking yard or buy one, and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDNewman
My money is on the CSPS. Your symptoms are exactly what mine were until I replaced the Crank shaft position sensor. Has not had a problem since.
Akumakis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
Akumakis
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Vss

Not the VSS. I disconnected it entirely, no effect at all. Doesn't run bad...I read that the VSS only affects idle when you come to a stop. In any case, no help there.

Bought a new distributor, which I've never replaced before, and contains the new cam pos sensor. I'll install and see if i can make it quit again. Cold weather making it trickier to test.
Unread 11-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #19
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Don't rule out the vss. There is one other possibility. Check the writing harness that goes down the firewall behind the battery that supplies the vss. It's a possibility that it is shorting. If the vss shorts it will take out the voltage for the vss. Mine was burned by the manifold and shorting.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #20
Cajun90YJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have seen the pcm cause this issue, on 3 diff Chryslers, 95 jeep 4.0, dodge Dakota and an 06 TJ. The pcm would get hot after driving or engine running and the pcm would lose a ground internally. They would throw cam and crank codes, and a few others. it can throw any that the pcm grounds. You can usually cause it to die (after you get it cranked following the first stall) by tapping on the pcm with a screwdriver handle or something. DON'T BEAT IT! Light taps should do it if that is the cause.
Cajun90YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #21
Akumakis
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This is interesting. When the problem first occurred I suspected a sensor, or the ECU. I'll try your trick.

1991 Jeep YJ Renegade 4.0L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.