1991 Jeep Wrangler Exhaust Advice? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1991 Jeep Wrangler Exhaust Advice?

We still have some great deals going on!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 05-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #16
JPRatYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparFreak69 View Post
The cat doesnt really do much for the sound of an exhaust. It will tone it down ever so slightly just because of its design, but it by no means acts as a muffler. Deleting it will not change the sound. A good cat does nothing to affect the performance of a rig and at the same time is better for the environment. If its not plugged why toss it? I am not a tree hugging hippy by any means but the least we can do is make the least impact on the environment as possible right? A cat simply uses heat and ceramic to convert carbon monoxide (poisonous) to carbon dioxide (what we do when we exhale). Leave the cat on if its good and just find a nice sounding muffler and be done with it.
As far as recommendations on muffler? Its all about personal preference really. When I had my quad everybody was trying to get me to buy a Yoshimura exhaust for it. I didnt like the tone and ended up going with a Pro Circuit. Just because the recommendation is what everybody likes doesnt mean you are going to like it as well.
my jeep was straight piped from the header to a flowmaster when i got it and a cat made it 100000000% quieter

JPRatYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #17
Chris Aunchman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yea have to agree cats totally quiet down and exhaust system, been there......especially if they aren't high flow cats.
Chris Aunchman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #18
DanielShearer
1991 YJ Wrangler 

so basicly just remove the cate... and straight pipe it back to a magnaflow muffler... how much do you think that will all cost?

I know you can buy alum. pipe only for like 10 bucks and the muffler you think will be around 60-80?

sounds like the glasspacks and thrushers would be too loud, so i think ill just go with the magnaflow
DanielShearer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #19
Jeeper_YJ

Magnaflo with cat is loud. Straight pipe to magnaflo is louder. Just depends on what you think too loud is. Remember, not to rain on your parade. Removal of a cat is a federal offence regardless if your state or city doesn't smog check.
Jeeper_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #20
DanielShearer
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good point... guess ill just leave it on then, not hurting anything apprently... will the magnaflow have a more bellowing sound or "whopping" sound if you know what i mean.

My jeep does have headers put on, idk if that means anything lol
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #21
FxORubi
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would just listen to jeeps in the area for the one you like and ask them what they got on theirs. because honestly you wont notice an improvement with a cat back system its more for sound then anything else. i got an edge chip and bored throttle body with a k&n intake and banks cat-back monster exhaust. on the dyno im making 147hp and 193TQ i did gain a mpg or two, but not much to show for the money! so if i was you get something that sounds good with out spending an arm and a leg on it.
FxORubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #22
Jeeper_YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielShearer View Post
Good point... guess ill just leave it on then, not hurting anything apprently... will the magnaflow have a more bellowing sound or "whopping" sound if you know what i mean.

My jeep does have headers put on, idk if that means anything lol
It's a deep sound. I have Magnaflo on the suburban, Borla on the jeep Borla on the dodge neon. Borla isn't as loud "size for size". Meaning, if your not into loud, make sure you avoid the small Magnaflo case size. I think those are 12-17". Anything bigger 22-27" is quiet. I have the 22" and its above stock. Quiet in the suburban, but I can hear the wife a few houses down coming home. I noticed more remove their loud mufflers than make them louder. Help?
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #23
DanielShearer
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yh I think I like a more bellowing sound so anything 22-27? what type of muffler would that be?
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #24
Jeeper_YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielShearer View Post
Yh I think I like a more bellowing sound so anything 22-27? what type of muffler would that be?
22"-27" is the body size of the Magnaflo.

www.PerformancePeddler.com has good prices.
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #25
JohnFM3
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I am loving the sound of my High Flow Cat and FlowMaster combination. Factory system to the cat, 2.25 inch into the FlowMaster, and 2.5in Manderal Bent tail pipe.

Has a nice clean mellow idle tone, and a deep tone at higher rpms. Most importantly, I dont have a rasp to the downward side of a Throttle Snap. I can run the rpms up and bring them down and NOT sound like a RICER.

John
XJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634588 YJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3322306
JohnFM3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #26
DanielShearer
1991 YJ Wrangler 

sounds good... so keep the cat on and just get the magnaflo muffler...

thanks for all your help guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.