1991 Jeep Wrangler Exhaust Advice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1991 Jeep Wrangler Exhaust Advice?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 05-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
DanielShearer
1991 YJ Wrangler 

1991 Jeep Wrangler Exhaust Advice?

Just bought my first jeep monday and we're picking it up tomarrow

So i'm looking at parts and I'd like to get an exhaust, but i'm budgeting myself to around 250 maybe alittle more if it comes to it.

I heard you guys were the experts and I need some advice on exhausts that have good sound and performance and are legal in most states for around 250 or 300.

Doesn't have to be full system. Or does it? idk lol, so any help i can get is great. Thanks

Dan

DanielShearer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Holy huge pics batman. does tinypic have a "forum or email" setting???

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

There is little power to be gained from exhaust mods.
I would stick with a stock or near stock system only replacing stuff if it needs it.
You will spend plenty of money on your jeep when it breaks down.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Dynomax super turbo. Put one on literally every jeep I've owned. Love it.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
Flingit1200s
2009 JK Wrangler 

Is it leaking?
"Rusty" is a 2009 JK, "X", 6spd, 2.5" Rock Krawler, Fox shocks, 33x12.5x15 Duratracs, AR Baja 15x8, Tuffy console, PIAA Fogs, 4:56 gears which are too low for this tire size, JCR front bumper, Warn winch.
Flingit1200s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Chris Aunchman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have been using "Vortex" mufflers on inlines and love the sound. I have experimented with tons of muflers on inlines, I always hate th high pitch or even angry beehive sound.....Vortex is a nice deep mellow tone. They are made by Cherry Bomb, you can get them in Summit. They use a flow diverter and packing to get there sound. And no they aren't the cheapo straight pipe red cherry bomb ones. They are black fully welded not to many people know of them. I think for my YJ I used a center in / offset out 2.25" on both.
Chris Aunchman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
DanielShearer
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ah nice, we are replacing the pipe from the muffler back because it fell off from the previous owner, so i figured i would do from muffler back... the guy put headers and a new catalytic converter in it.

And yah are the glass packs and thrush busters illegal in maryland though? or are they not as loud on a jeep

and yh go to tiny pic, itll tell you to upload a photo then u use the forum coding
Unread 05-18-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
Chris Aunchman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

In Mass I was able to X-out the cat and got with a 2" to 2.25" expander then straight pipe to the muffler. Made a nice clean hook-up. They got rid of the sniffer tester and only perform emissions on OBD II vehicles.
As far as the noise level I wish I had a recordering it isn't loud at all and has a VERY nice idle. Its not really a glass pack for the fact it still uses a diverter plate in the muffler.....here is a link
Cherry Bomb 88100 - Cherry Bomb Vortex Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Also use the "Band-style" clamps on the mufflers....they don't crimp the pipe and I prefer it to welding anyday considering if you ever want to drop the exhaust. They are made by "Walker"
Chris Aunchman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
1995Moneypit
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Super Turbo cat back. Got the $75 rebate going now too.
1995Moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #10
Jeeper_YJ

I went with Borla. Clean sound. Very happy. Not to loud. Trying to find the write some company did on the muffler. Tested all the big names. Borla produced the most power, and was the quietest.

I got it here
http://wickednicky.com/borla_pro_xs.html

Last edited by Jeeper_YJ; 05-18-2010 at 07:33 PM..
Jeeper_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #11
DanielShearer
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My jeep has a header on it, so after emissions passes how would it sound if i ran a straight back pipe to a muffler?
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:46 PM   #12
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The cat doesnt really do much for the sound of an exhaust. It will tone it down ever so slightly just because of its design, but it by no means acts as a muffler. Deleting it will not change the sound. A good cat does nothing to affect the performance of a rig and at the same time is better for the environment. If its not plugged why toss it? I am not a tree hugging hippy by any means but the least we can do is make the least impact on the environment as possible right? A cat simply uses heat and ceramic to convert carbon monoxide (poisonous) to carbon dioxide (what we do when we exhale). Leave the cat on if its good and just find a nice sounding muffler and be done with it.
As far as recommendations on muffler? Its all about personal preference really. When I had my quad everybody was trying to get me to buy a Yoshimura exhaust for it. I didnt like the tone and ended up going with a Pro Circuit. Just because the recommendation is what everybody likes doesnt mean you are going to like it as well.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:46 PM   #13
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Dynomax super turbo. Put one on literally every jeep I've owned. Love it.
If you are closer to 20 years old than 50 you might like the noise of this muffler. I hated it on mine and went back to stock type muffler. I am closer to 50 but my son thought all the racket was cool.
Unread 05-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #14
Jeeper_YJ

Have to agree. The Magnaflow I put on the suburban was the 22" body (#12590) and it's quiet with a small-small rumble. if stock is a 2 on the db, this one is a 3-4. Just right. I have two kids under 2yrs and they both sleep without issue. At 40yr I didn't want loud neither. The Borla on the jeep is louder, but not bad though.
Jeeper_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #15
JPRatYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
There is little power to be gained from exhaust mods.
I would stick with a stock or near stock system only replacing stuff if it needs it.
You will spend plenty of money on your jeep when it breaks down.

Dwayne
it couldn't be said more truthfully i've spent almost 2g's working on my jeep in the last 3 months because i bought it from some guy that didn't know what he was doing and yes i do all the work my self
JPRatYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.