1991 Islander Fuel Tank Woes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1991 Islander Fuel Tank Woes

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 11-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
LonnieD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

1991 Islander Fuel Tank Woes

Replaced leaking tank with new aftermarket. Filler neck will not clear the frame and touches the crossmember above. The new tank is correct model but not exactly identical to OEM. Neck is 1" shorter, tank height is 1" more and length (width? .. axle to axle dimension) is 1 1/2' shorter. Any ideas on a work around? Thanks

LonnieD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

put driver side of tank up in first then passenger side
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
LonnieD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't explain my dilemma correctly. I installed the replacement tank and tightened all of the tank/skid plate bolts. That is when I discovered that the filler tube neck was butted up to and its end flush with the crossmember. Can't get a clamp over that neck, much less the filler hose. When I dropped the tank again, the sending unit tubing had rubbed a mark on the undercarriage under the cargo area as well. I am thinking of shimming the skid plate edges and installing longer bolts, but wonder if that will expose the outlet hose and fuel pump electrical to excessive moisture/debris. Thanks again!
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Are your body bushings squished flat? When I did new daystar body lift bushings that are 1" taller, that gave me easy access to the gas tank fill/vent hose clamps. They were not behind/against the rear frame anymore.
Unread 11-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
LonnieD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well ... Duhhh! Thanks mrmud4x4 - that is the answer!! I just ordered the body lift bushings. Old girl has 300K miles on her and the stock bushings are shot. I appreciate the solution and look forward to more advice as we spiff up the YJ.
Unread 11-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonnieD View Post
Well ... Duhhh! Thanks mrmud4x4 - that is the answer!! I just ordered the body lift bushings. Old girl has 300K miles on her and the stock bushings are shot. I appreciate the solution and look forward to more advice as we spiff up the YJ.
Get hold of a 4 or 4.5" grinder (like a Makita) that will accept the cutting disc's......I am pretty sure that you will need to cut out some body metal to get at the top of the bushing bolts. I had to cut three areas.....under the drivers seat, and the two rear ones - hidden behind the rear tire well plastic. Wear safety goggles......

The top bolts have holders in there that will be rusted out.....the nuts/bolts that spin will be the ones that you will have to access on top.....some you can get to, others are under body metal.

We cut flaps, then I cut out some aluminum daimond plate pieces to cover the cut out areas, bend the flaps back and use self tapping screws to mount your daimond plate covers over the cut out area. Use rustoleum spray paint on your cuts first, and some gasket goop when you place the daimond plate covers over the area....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.