1990 YJ-no power, no cranking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1990 YJ-no power, no cranking

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
ClarissaA
1990 YJ Wrangler 

1990 YJ-no power, no cranking

So first off, I am new to working on vehicles. And I don't know much yet. But everyone needs to start somewhere!

I have a 1990 YJ that I LOVE! However, today while driving it suddenly turned off. Checked the battery and its fine. When you turn the key there is no sound or lights. It doesnt even try to crank or make any attemt to start up for me! The blinkers still work so I know its getting power. Its a straight 6 and a standard. I would completely love any help in figuring out what happened.

ClarissaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:10 AM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Passenger side below the battery is a solenoid. Sounds like you have melted some fuseable links there. They all connect to one post on the relay so some may be good and others not. This is where I would look first.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clarissa, the fuseable links are a good place to start. I know this is going to sound perv but it is for real. You need to do the Nutter on your Jeep. It is a mod that bypasses all the emissions bs and the computer on your Jeep and will make it much more reliable. You do the mod only if the state you are in doesnt require emissions testing but it will save you so much headache and heart ache in the future by making it much more reliable and giving you better power. Best part is it is free and easy to do. Repair the current issue with the link and if you want I will post the link for the Nutter. It takes about 1 hr. from start to finish.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Yarz
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
Sounds like you have melted some fuseable links
x2..
Had a very similar problem once with mine, searched and searched, and it ended up being there

1990 White YJ TBI350, SM465, NP231, SOA, RE 1.5" SOA springs, Ford 8.8, D30, 4.10's, JBConversions SYE, XJ shaft, Bilstein 5150s, jb4x4 steering, MORE SS brakelines, 35x12.50 15 MT's, '95 YJ Brake Booster, '78 Grand Marquis MC, ZJ Prop. Valve
Yarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If it is the fusible links, just replacing them won't fix it. Fusible links are just old fashioned low tech fuses. You need to find out why they blew in the first place or it is just going to happen again.

Also, check all the grounds and if they don't look new, go ahead and replace the battery cables.

The thing they are calling the solenoid is actually called the "starter relay" most places. The solenoid is technically the thing attached to the starter. To find the starter relay, follow the smaller of the two positive battery cables.

Makes life a lot easier if you move it up higher on the firewall.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.