1990 YJ Idle rough/Stall Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1990 YJ Idle rough/Stall Problem

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
Boland398
1990 YJ Wrangler 

1990 YJ Idle rough/Stall Problem

I just purchased an 1990 YJ Jeep wrangler and it idles pretty rough unless it is warmed up. I have to press the gas petal when i start it for it to turn over. It seems to idle rougher when I am in gear (with the clutch petal fully pressed in) than when I am not in gear. Once i run it for 10 minutes or so it seems to idle ok (no stalling) however still wont turn over unless i give it some gas. Should I adjust the idle or is it possibly a vaccum leak? Any advice? Thanks.

Boland398 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
KeithG
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Is it a 4 or 6cyl?
KeithG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
jgillespie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

dont have a carb, so i cant speak from experience. but the need to press the gas pedal to turn over is something i would bet is quite common amongst the carb crowd. as for the rough idle...timing maybe? i know one of the gurus will chime in sometime

Originally posted by Crazyquadder:
Quote:
a 6 foot puddle is approx half way up my doors
jgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If it's a 6 cyl, then it's a carb and in that case leanr to love this website http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

If it is a 4cyl, then there are all different issues possible with diagnosing the problem
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
Boland398
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Its a 4cyl, fuel injected
Boland398 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

At this point, it could be a gazillion things wrong. First, check all your vacuum lines, and their connections. Then, check your plugs to make sure the gap is all the same, and they are burning at about the same color. If you haven't done it for awhile, change your fuel filter and make sure you have adequate pressure at the rail. Some of the other things to check is the wiring connections and confirm they are seated properly. Once this is done, give us a report and we'll work on other things.
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
jeffrey919r1
1992 YJ Wrangler 

stuck choke?
jeffrey919r1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
1990yjsteve

Dirty carb

Just cleaned mine out like it said and she runs great .Found out its easier to take carb half off .Also you can take out them tubes that clog,thats the key. Yj is back in action.Running better than ever!!!Doing it the way it said is not bad if you don't drop anything.STEVE
1990yjsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum!

Just purchased then do the basics:
Start with the basics: tune up for sure. Plugs, wires, cap,rotor, and the fuel filter. Clean the throttlebody.
You are throttlebody injection so the computer controls idle. There are several adjustments that are essential for the TBI when you replace a sensor. If you don't have a multimeter get one. You need it to setup and troubleshoot. At idle the coolant temp sensor (The YJ has 2, the one in the rear is strickly for the temp guage the other one on the manifold is the one for the computer) is the primary sensor for cold idle and sets up the calibration unil it goes into closed loop after it warms up and uses the other sensors.

Download the service manuals in this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1...start-1414928/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.