1990 YJ Electrical issues.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1990 YJ Electrical issues....

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 09-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
jraisor
1990 YJ Wrangler 

1990 YJ Electrical issues....

so i recently got my first jeep a few weeks ago. needs some tlc but overall im enjoying it.

SO last night im driving and all of a sudden my headlights, radio, dash lights all brown out and then die few seconds later my jeep dies. Jeep will crank but will not start up. no Dash lights, radio, brake lights etc i could smell something electrical burning but it was pitch black so couldn't see any smoke or tell where it was coming from, had AAA tow it to my house.. i checked the fuses under the dash and they all look in order. checked to make sure my battery cables were tight etc.....

anyone have any suggestions on what to check?

jraisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Look at the fuseable links that come off the starter relay on the firewall by the battery. I would also be looking at the battery cables and alternator cables for corrosion.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
woodmanxxx
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When you say "cranks" do you mean, it will -just turn over- or do you mean it sounds like it usually does but doesn't fire? That will give everyone a great starting point to trace the problem.
Unread 09-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
jraisor
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry took so long to come back to this, I think it's a bunch of issues that are contributing to this.

Looking at the firewall there is a module with a post that has a bunch of wires running to it that someone spliced together with household twist ons, removed all of that and put proper ring terminal connectors on, next I pulled the ecu behind the glovebox cracked it open and see some burns on some parts of the board, actually looks like a PO had an issues before because I see non factory wires soldered in to create a path where there was a burn mark. Having the ecu worked on by a buddy who works on mother boards and circuit boards. I think I either have a bad ground or a short somewhere.

Does the ecu control spark to the distributor because I did the ol screw driver in the coil cable trick and I'm not getting spark, also got a new coil and that doesn't seem to fix the spark issue.
Unread 09-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
jraisor
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Also does anyone have a wiring schematic for the ecu itself, I don't think it's in my Haynes manual
Unread 09-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You need to post up the info for the Jeep profile information. It would just be guessing as to what you are talking about.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
goldeaglejeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you need to start with a fresh harness, seems like it wouldn't be worth all the mess you have occurring.
goldeaglejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
jraisor
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What's a fresh harness going to put me back for?
Unread 09-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
goldeaglejeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ebay they can be had for 80-150 for the dash harness should be all you need. I would feel much better doing that even if it does cost some money. This sounds like it will just be one problem after another.
goldeaglejeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.