1990 Wrangler L6 5spd clutch not releasing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1990 Wrangler L6 5spd clutch not releasing

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 11-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Fastshivy

1990 Wrangler L6 5spd clutch not releasing

Clutch not releasing.....85K
I just helped a friend replace his clutch, pressure plate, disc and slave cylinder as the slave was leaking and the vehicle was crawling forward. The springs in the disc were also rubbing on the pressure plate?? It is now hard to get in gear and the pedal engages the clutch right at the floor board. The pedal seems fairly firm all the way to the floorboard...it is almost like wow if the pedal would only go another 1/4" everything would be perfect. Bled the system several times to no avail.
I took the master cyl off.. no external leaks, but it it is etched inside the bore...not sure where to go from here...put 80w 90 GL5 back in the tranny and was told there was some controversy on this particular fluid

How do I identify the tranny? it is a 5 spd with the fill holes on the driver side(left)and has the internal slve cyl.

What oil should I use?

Any suggestions on getting a little more travel on the clutch?
Any help would be appreciated

Fastshivy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

OK the tranny is an AX15 the engine is an I6 if the engine is a I4 then the tranny is an AX5.
10-30 motor oil is just fine for the tranny. If everything else is new then drop a new master cyl in there and see what it does.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
Fastshivy

Thanks for the response....I just replaced the master cyl and bled the system again. This did not resolve the problem. You can feel the throw out bearing contacting the pressure plate very quickly.....in other words the clutch pedal begins to get stiff within "3/4 of an inch as you put your foot down on it. So it seems I am getting good travel from the hydraulics. The old clutch released fine....just had a leaky slave

The clutch came from O'reilys.....made in china stuff.... any other ideas before i pull the tranny again?
Unread 11-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Did you happen to put the clutch friction disk in backwards?

Dwayne
Unread 11-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
navman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
Did you happen to put the clutch friction disk in backwards?

Dwayne
If you used a direct replacement I would agree with Dwayne. If you went to a diferent style, you may not have enough throw. Try pulling the master/hose/slave assembly as one piece and bleed it on the bench with the slave a bit higher and the master at a bit of an angle to get all the air out. The allen bleader is a pita.
Unread 11-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
Smash209
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Its been said, but if the springs are ribbing the plate you defiantly put the disc in backwards!
~~~~~~~~~ \\// ~~~~~~~~~~~~
Smash209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
Fastshivy

Maybe I did...although it was marked clearly flwheel side near the splines...I am not sure you can even tighten the pressure plate down with the disc in backwards. It was a direct relacement... no mods. The original disc coil springs were rubbing on the diaphram fingers... although it did not seem to cause problems. I guess I am resigned to pulling the tranny tomorrow. I have done a couple hundred clutches (mostly, British and Japanese), but it has been 25 yrs and your mind gets rusty and feeble...Thanks will keep you posted
Unread 11-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
Fastshivy

Just pulled the tranny... no leaks on the slave, disk and pressure plate in right. The surface of the new pressure plate has a slight lip on the edge where the grinding stone did an incomplete job....right now I am calling it bad parts. We are going to try Napa although some of their stuff is poor quality too, just depends where it is made!!
It seems to me a country that can not build a sucessful car has no business making parts....sorry for the rant
Unread 11-20-2009, 06:16 AM   #9
Fastshivy

Just a follow up....finally got the tranny back in everything is working perfectly!! Just bad parts the parts store man said they just switched manufactures on clutches...wonder why??? Took a little searching to find a clutch I was happy with...Ordered one from Napa and sent it back cheap.... chinese stuff ....Found one made in USA and Korea from Beck Arnely...much better quality than the local parts stores sell. The Koreans at least are building a decent car. Had a little trouble removing the pilot bearing... the grease or paper method don't work well with a bearing as the grease shoots outside the bearing race..like packing a bearing...found a little tool from Cal Van that worked well and can be used on many different cars with small bearings/bushings $18 bucks well worth it for the time saved Thanks to all for your help!
Unread 11-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #10
larrysmachine
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem with my 90 yj, bad slave. Went to o'rielys and boudht the complete clutch kit for $135 and put the jeep back together and the new slave didn't work. Pulled it all apart again and went to NAPA and paid $135 for just a new salve and put it back together and it worked great. I guess you get what you pay for. It's NAPA for me from now on.
Larry
larrysmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #11
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just another example why everyone should convert to external slave when clutch work is performed.

Dwayne
Unread 11-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #12
larrysmachine
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Dwayne,

Is this a tough job to do? I would like to do this the next time I have to drop the tranny.

Larry
larrysmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #13
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty easy conversion.
You will need
External slave bell housing
bearing retainer
throwout bearing & fork
slave/master.
All of these parts can be found at your local u-pull it on the Cherokee 94 n up I believe.

Dwayne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.