1990 Wrangler 4.2L Timing Help - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1990 Wrangler 4.2L Timing Help

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 05-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #16
hubb6666
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have a pic of the throttle linkage? The one I have doesn't look correct.

dsc04980.jpg   dsc04981.jpg  
hubb6666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #17
doherty80
1990 YJ Wrangler 

subscribed
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
doherty80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #18
squib518
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You may have to create your own linkage--I did. Also, I was having the exact same problem on my timing. I manually found TDC using the ol' screw driver in the spark plug hole. My timing mark wasn't even close. I then drew a new mark, and rechecked timing. Now neither mark was on the scale. Took it to the shop to get it checked out, and I sold it while it was sitting in the parking lot waiting to get pulled into a bay. In the end I have no advice, but I feel your pain.
squib518 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #19
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The Weber 34 will work with the proper jets! which you probably have already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #20
hubb6666
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squib518 View Post
You may have to create your own linkage--I did. Also, I was having the exact same problem on my timing. I manually found TDC using the ol' screw driver in the spark plug hole. My timing mark wasn't even close. I then drew a new mark, and rechecked timing. Now neither mark was on the scale. Took it to the shop to get it checked out, and I sold it while it was sitting in the parking lot waiting to get pulled into a bay. In the end I have no advice, but I feel your pain.
Okay that was embarrassing. I was wrapping things up for the day and I said to myself. Self why don't you at least put that pretty air cleaner on. I opened the filter package and there was the throttle bracket. Anyway going to Lowes and Advanced Auto to get a few more parts and I will try starting it tomorrow. If I still have a problem then I will be doing what Fernando suggested and check the timing chain. Thanks everyone for all your help.
Unread 05-14-2010, 04:31 PM   #21
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here are some pics from my 38.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #22
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck with it I will be checking the forums for your progress!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #23
hubb6666
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabejeeper View Post
Thats a nice rig if you can get it running right... Do the rush mod and see where that gets you.
I just looked at your build thread. You have your hands full. Looking really nice and can't wait to see the final results.
Unread 05-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #24
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubb6666 View Post
Another thing I noticed is my manifold vacuum is 10.
That's about 1/2 of what it should have at idle. My 4.2 would idle around 20-21" at idle with my "modded" Carter and the Howell TBI.
Unread 05-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #25
hubb6666
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman View Post
That's about 1/2 of what it should have at idle. My 4.2 would idle around 20-21" at idle with my "modded" Carter and the Howell TBI.
I checked my compression and I'm getting anywhere between 158 to 162 on all cylinders. I have no clue why I only have 10" at idle.
Unread 05-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #26
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Big vacuum leak or timing is way off. Which manifold are you using now? If you have the stock manifold check the manifold heater. There's a gasket and an o ring that seal it off. You'll have to pull the manifold to get to it. You are checking manifold vac below the carb or right on the manifold correct?
Unread 05-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #27
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

High manifold pressure at idle indicates very retarded ignition. You can try advancing the timing and backing off the carb idle screw till you hit 20 - 21 in on your vac gauge.

If you static timed it and still have this problem, pull the timing cover off and see what the deal is.Proper installation of the timing chain and gears isn't rocket science, but there are opportunities to get it wrong.
Unread 05-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #28
hubb6666
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just put the stock manifold on today and plan on starting it tomorrow. I'm checking manifold vacuum not port. I will have to see what your talking about tomorrow on the manifold heater. When I had the Offenhauser intake on I sprayed carb cleaner all around the intake and never found any leaks. I swear it looks like everything is leaning towards the timing chain or cam. At idle (rough) the best I can get my timing light to read is 45 degrees and the spark plugs are very black.
Unread 05-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #29
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

On the timing issue.. If is the original balancer it could have slipped. It obviously sounds like you have other issues with low vacuum not running right. However, I had a problem with not being able to set the timing with a light. When I tried the mark was about 60 degrees off. I just set it by ear and it ran great. Come to find out the outside of the balancer had walked. A new balancer was installed and the timing marks are now where they should be.
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #30
hubb6666
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
High manifold pressure at idle indicates very retarded ignition. You can try advancing the timing and backing off the carb idle screw till you hit 20 - 21 in on your vac gauge.

If you static timed it and still have this problem, pull the timing cover off and see what the deal is.Proper installation of the timing chain and gears isn't rocket science, but there are opportunities to get it wrong.
I will try tomorrow with the stock intake and the Weber 34 and see what happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.