1990 Jeep YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1990 Jeep YJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 06-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
spawnofsatan
1990 YJ Wrangler 

1990 Jeep YJ

Hey guys took my jeep out today after setting in the garage for say about 4-5 months everything seems ok until I started to climb a hill jeep started to jump forward and died waited few min and jeep start right up started the climb again and it was fine for say about 1min then it started to act up again I have to ease on the gas paddle to make it up the hill seems like fuel delivery.

FYI MC carb

spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the accelerator pump might have some junk in it. It only does it while you try to accelerate? Is it anytime you want to take off? Maybe a vacuum line also?
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
spawnofsatan
1990 YJ Wrangler 

ill check tom
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
jred
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Did you Stabil the gas before it sat up or put fresh gas in? Around here gas is usually only good for a couple of months before it turns to crap.
jred is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
spawnofsatan
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jred View Post
Did you Stabil the gas before it sat up or put fresh gas in? Around here gas is usually only good for a couple of months before it turns to crap.
Jred no I did put stabil the gas tank but it was on E when fill it up should I put fuel stabilizer on the fuel tank..
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
jred
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If it's gonna sit more than a month, I either run it dry (hard to do without getting stranded) or put Stabil in the tank. The larger amounts in automotive tanks seems to last longer than a 3 gallon can for mowers, but it doesn't hurt, and if it does happen to sit there for a while, you're good up to a year & a half.

Sounds like you were pretty much on empty, then put fresh gas in it, so you should be good in that respect. Carbed, I'd check/rebuild it. I bet some varnish built up and/or has some junk in it.

The way you have to ease down on the gas tells me that it's starving for gas. The very FIRST thing is to verify you aren't out of gas. The gauge may be wrong. Fill 'er up! ^see below. Next, a fuel filter is a cheap thing to check. If you still have issues, pull the fuel line from the carb & put it in a small bottle of some sort & have someone try to crank it. If it "seems" like it's spitting it out good, get fancy & do a pressure test to be sure "spitting out good" is actually good. If it's barely spurting, you get to enjoy a fun job with the fuel pump. Carb cleaning, depending on your skill or aptitude. That should get you going.

I'd just finished a hardtail chopper & took off on a 1000 mile road trip. 50 miles in, start having trouble. I can start it, but any throttle kills it. This really stunk cause it was kickstart only. It'd idle for 5 or more minutes, though. I open the tank, I can SEE I have half a tank, and mileage/capacity said I should be good for 100+ miles. Like I said, I'd just barely finished bolting it all together. I didn't even have rear brakes. I expected to need to rebuild the carbs at some point, so I'd thrown a kit in my bags. So here I am, rebuilding the carbs and rejetting on the side of Hwy70 in a bazillion degree heat... no shade. Same thing. A few coarse words may have left my mouth. My riding partner put me on the back of her Honda Rebel 250 & we went up the road for a beer. It was sooo much fun arriving at a middle of nowhere honky tonk in the middle of the afternoon riding b1*^&. When we left, everyone actually came to the door to get a good look :P Get back to the bike, and I immediately knew the problem. When the rear got cut off & welded back up, it changed the angle of the backbone, and my tank was sitting at a 45deg angle. The petcock was smack dab in the middle of the tank. So even with a half tank of gas, I was... out of gas. I unbolted the rear mounts, rotated the tank back to horizontal, and propped it up with an empty Mtn Dew bottle. For the rest of the trip, that empty bottle sat in my saddlebag as a "reserve".

Anyway, the moral of the story is, even if you KNOW you've got plenty of gas, make sure you're not out of gas!
jred is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
spawnofsatan
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jred View Post
If it's gonna sit more than a month, I either run it dry (hard to do without getting stranded) or put Stabil in the tank. The larger amounts in automotive tanks seems to last longer than a 3 gallon can for mowers, but it doesn't hurt, and if it does happen to sit there for a while, you're good up to a year & a half.

Sounds like you were pretty much on empty, then put fresh gas in it, so you should be good in that respect. Carbed, I'd check/rebuild it. I bet some varnish built up and/or has some junk in it.

The way you have to ease down on the gas tells me that it's starving for gas. The very FIRST thing is to verify you aren't out of gas. The gauge may be wrong. Fill 'er up! ^see below. Next, a fuel filter is a cheap thing to check. If you still have issues, pull the fuel line from the carb & put it in a small bottle of some sort & have someone try to crank it. If it "seems" like it's spitting it out good, get fancy & do a pressure test to be sure "spitting out good" is actually good. If it's barely spurting, you get to enjoy a fun job with the fuel pump. Carb cleaning, depending on your skill or aptitude. That should get you going.

I'd just finished a hardtail chopper & took off on a 1000 mile road trip. 50 miles in, start having trouble. I can start it, but any throttle kills it. This really stunk cause it was kickstart only. It'd idle for 5 or more minutes, though. I open the tank, I can SEE I have half a tank, and mileage/capacity said I should be good for 100+ miles. Like I said, I'd just barely finished bolting it all together. I didn't even have rear brakes. I expected to need to rebuild the carbs at some point, so I'd thrown a kit in my bags. So here I am, rebuilding the carbs and rejetting on the side of Hwy70 in a bazillion degree heat... no shade. Same thing. A few coarse words may have left my mouth. My riding partner put me on the back of her Honda Rebel 250 & we went up the road for a beer. It was sooo much fun arriving at a middle of nowhere honky tonk in the middle of the afternoon riding b1*^&. When we left, everyone actually came to the door to get a good look :P Get back to the bike, and I immediately knew the problem. When the rear got cut off & welded back up, it changed the angle of the backbone, and my tank was sitting at a 45deg angle. The petcock was smack dab in the middle of the tank. So even with a half tank of gas, I was... out of gas. I unbolted the rear mounts, rotated the tank back to horizontal, and propped it up with an empty Mtn Dew bottle. For the rest of the trip, that empty bottle sat in my saddlebag as a "reserve".

Anyway, the moral of the story is, even if you KNOW you've got plenty of gas, make sure you're not out of gas!

Wow I read all that lol but sound like you fun I wish I can afford a chopper would be sooo sweet.. I'll check on the jeep this weekend I been driving home- work around town and so far so good but I'm taking it paint balling this weekend see how she run few hills I have to climb...
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
spawnofsatan
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Update

Fuel pump is working just fine still act up I can drive it for about 10-15 min then is would bog down like no fuel but when I stop and put in park step on the gas no problem I just rebuild this carb 2 year ago..
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
OneWormYJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck on figuring this out...I'm dealing with something similar. Also looking for advice.

Here goes:
This jeep runs fine on the flat/downhill, but when it's going uphill it runs out of fuel, no matter how much is in the tank. We've unhooked the line from the carb both on the flat and on a hill, when it's on the flat: plenty is coming out, when it's on the hill: nothing, even though the pump is still running. Once the bowl runs dry the jeep dies.

Specs: 1988 YJ
Weber Carb - freshly rebuilt
New fuel pump - electric, not manual as it should be
Aftermarket poly tank - don't know anything about it, but we changed the fuel strainer, as it was cooked.
All lines look fine, not pinched, rotted or otherwise.
New fuel filter
Dropped tank and inspected everything - looks good.

We're working on this jeep for our friend, he's taken it other places and no one could figure it out, so the "Jeep Couple" got it. We've spent a lot of hours tinkering diagnosing and just checking things out. Thus, we're going to install a manual fuel pump and a check valve, perhaps not in that order and see what happens.

Any other thoughts or anyone hear about this before?
OneWormYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
OneWormYJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

We've figured it out!!! First, there was a crappy soft line that was dissolving from the inside out and polluting everything downstream from it. Fix and clean. Then we noticed that there was way too much fuel running into the return line and almost nothing making it to the carb when on a hill. Still don't know why, but we added a little more bend to the return line and that seems to have given it enough resistance without closing it off competely. Today will be test drive and final tweaking, but we are optimistic.
OneWormYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

The filter has two lines coming out: one to the carb and one to the return line. If the soft line was putting out debris maybe the filter is clogged where it delivers to the carb.
rocketboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

OP,
Just for giggles, throw some SeaFoam in it. If you're not familiar, this stuff is an additive (nowadays, you can get it almost anywhere, but O'Reilly's always seems to have it). It'll be a round metal can White with red script.

I've never been fond of additives, but I love this stuff. It's a cure all. It is a fuel stabilizer as well as a cleaner. I'm guessing that the fuel that was sitting in your carb left a nice varnishy glue behind as it evaporated and is now clogging something up in your carb. If this is the problem, this stuff will take care of it.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.