1990 Jeep Yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1990 Jeep Yj

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
redneckdude120
1990 YJ Wrangler 

1990 Jeep Yj

Hey, i'm new to this forum. I just recently got a jeep about 2 months ago. Its a 1990 Jeep wrangler YJ. It has a 2.5L 4 cylinder. It has the full steel doors, and hard top. I just put a 4" rough country lift kit on it with 1/2" lift shackles. I also put a pacesetter exhaust header on it. The manifold was busted in half in 2 places and cracked in another spot. I also just put new rock crawler skid bumpers on it. The front has the winch plate and d-shackles on it. The rear has the tire carrier and a 2" hitch with d-shackles also. It has 32's on it. I was thinking about going to 33's but a friend of mine has a brand new set of 35's for sale for 600 bucks. So now i'm thinking about getting the 35's. I think i have enough clearance to run them. Also i know my jeep came factory with 4.10 gears and my fiance's brother had a jeep just like mine with the 4.10 ratio but mine feels alot lower than his. I can tell the gears have been changed on mine, it has red silicone around the diff cover instead of the factory gasket. I can shift out of 1st at about 7-8 mph. It has alot of low end torque. I'm thinking that it might have lower gears than 4.10. Any help?

redneckdude120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jack up one tire if you have anopen diff, or both tires if you have a working posi or locking differential. Rotate the tire one full revolution for posis and lockers and 2 full revolutions for opendiffs. Carefully count the number of full revolutions the driveshaft makes. This is your gear ratio. In otherwords, if the drive shaft turns 3 ¾ turns, you probablyhave a 3.73 gear ratio. Turning the tire for twice the number of full revolutions and dividing the drive shaft revolutions by two will give you a more accurate reading

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
redneckdude120
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok thanks i'll try that.
redneckdude120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.