1990 4.2 YJ missing Emissions Parts Need Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1990 4.2 YJ missing Emissions Parts Need Help

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 06-29-2008, 01:38 AM   #1
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

1990 4.2 YJ missing Emissions Parts Need Help

Hi All,

I just picked up a 1990 YJ (My first Wrangler but my 5th Jeep).

My first big issue is this; the P/O had removed most of the emissions stuff when they swapped the Motor, they lived out in an area that has an exemption. Unfortunately for me I live within the big city boundries and Arizona Specifically Maricopa County has some of the toughest laws around just behind California. I honestly have no Idea what is missing as I don't have another 90' Wrangler to compare it against.

First off I'm not looking to restore it to factory specs... Just enough so it will pass the inspection. Also I'm not soliciting offers to sell me parts here... But If you are local and have a spare part or two from your rock crawler project etc Please PM me . What I really need are some pictures under the hood of a more or less stock 87 - 90 4.2 Additionally some schematics would help so I can start figuring out what all is missing. Thankfully the O2 sensor & CAT are still intact, I don't think they did the Nutter Bypass (Nothing against that, but I don't know if it would pass if it was Nuttered).

I Just got the jeep 48 hours ago so I haven't torn in to the engine too far yet, I'm in Triage mode for now. I know the Vapor Canister is missing for sure.

If anyone out there has any jewels of wisdom or is willing to lend a Fellow Jeeper a hand I will be forever in your debt... or at least really thankfull.

Anyhow here are a few pics under the hood. And one of my new moneypit.

And one of the rest of her. Clean RUST FREE Frame & Body!

If anyone is interested I've got much larger versions of these pictures... I just didn't want my post to be a Bandwidth Eater.

Unread 06-29-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

None of the emissions stuff (air tubes etc.) will function with that carb. You'd have to swap it back to the stock setup. You probably are Nuttered or it wouldn't run properly as the computer would always being looking for feedback from the stock carb. Has someone actually told you it won't pass as is or is this an assumption??
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 06:34 AM   #3
xeastend
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Cant speak for AZ,but most states with emmisions,the parts have to be there ,even if the sniffer test will pass
xeastend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

I haven't attempted to run it thru emissions... I know it won't pass they failed my XJ a few years ago just for having a cracked hose leading to the Vapor Can... No Vapor Can = No pass.

AS far as running... it runs like crap right now. I bought it because it has potential and NO rust.
Unread 06-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
ChicagoYJ
Yes, I Understand!

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a diagram of your vacuum lines.

First top two.

http://www.autozone.com/addVehicleId...00c1528008ab9d

Last edited by ChicagoYJ; 06-29-2008 at 12:59 PM..
ChicagoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the link to the Diagrams... Hopfully they didn't rip too much of this stuff off... *SIGH*.

It's going to take some time & $$$ to find these Parts.

Does anyone know if some / any of the emissions parts of an XJ will fit / work. There are a lot more of those floating around.
Unread 06-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

with the money you will spend putting it back to stock you will be close to the price of howel fuel injection. its CARB certified so it should work in AZ. and is MUCH better than the stock system. you will get a power boost over stock too. luckily I live were theres no emmisssions so I can run a different carb and ignition and really like the simplicity of a carb, but if I had to switch it would be to FI.
from what I remember about the stock setup your missing alot of parts.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #8
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

The Howell FI is $1200... Even if I put that in, it still does not change the fact that I'm missing the other parts. So I guess I'll start lookng. I think most of the small pieces are still there, I may have to put a used stock carb back on. I don't know what kind I've of carb got now, I looked for any id marks and didn't see any.
Unread 06-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

your carb looks like a weber, and no, you don't have to replace the other parts. the new FI replaces everything you are missing. I can't imagine replacing the emissions on a carbed jeep without another close by to look at. I removed a pile of parts and your motor looks like mine does now. but if your set on doing it i'd start seaching local junk yards or try carpart.com, you might get lucky.
or you could post in the wanted to buy section and might find somebody that kept the old parts, also try craigslist.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
King03Kev
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I agree that the carb looks like a Weber and also that just about all of your emissions have been removed. I don't even see a charcoal vapor canister or a vacuum line to the PCV valve. You have a long way to go to bring back to stock but it can be done. If you go that route I have a stock rebuilt carb in a box, pm me. Good luck.
kevyj87 '87 I6 5spd, 215,000+ miles, Herced, Nuttered, Weber, HEI, RE 4", 1" BL, 4:11's, np231, 33x12.5's, SYE & shaft, 1" brown dog mm, home made bumpers front & rear, Ramsey 8,000lb winch
King03Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #11
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

It is missing a whole lot of stuff... Hopefully I can find an intact stock YJ being parted out.
Unread 06-29-2008, 09:52 PM   #12
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC_FAN View Post
The Howell FI is $1200....
Yep, and just the two air injection tubes will run you about $600 from the dealer. The Howell kit eliminates those and is 50 state emission legal.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2008, 01:24 AM   #13
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well I'm not ready to throw in the towel here... But $1,200 for the EFI kit is a big chunk of money to spend on a Jeep that I just bought a few days ago... On the cheep as a fixer upper. It would be different if I either had to have it running next week, had a ton of $$$, mods + Blood, sweat, & tears invested. Then I could see getting the Howell Kit. The Howel kit may be an option for me down the road once its built up a little + blood sweat & tears.

So If I can't source most / all of the parts from Craigslist, JFclassifieds, & the local junk yards for as little as possible ie $500 total... Basically if this becomes an impossible moneypit, It's going up for sale. Thankfully living in the 5th largest city in the US does have a few benifits = lots of parts yards & thousands of people selling jeep stuff.

So either I'll have a Webber Carb or a 1990 YJ Saraha up for sale here in the next few months.
Unread 06-30-2008, 08:00 AM   #14
kharmajavah
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah...you're missing everything emissions related on that Jeep. Unless you hit a goldmine of parts somewhere, you're going to have a heck of a time (and probably spend more than 1200 bucks) shoe-horning the engine back to stock. I did find a site where you can buy SOME NOS emissions parts for late CJs, but I didn't keep the address...it didn't have everything you need, anyway.

If the Jeep really is without rust, it would be a worthy investment to drop in the Howell FI kit...if you're not in a hurry, I would just save for that rather than spend the rest of my life scratching my head over a rat's nest of vacuum lines that your engine will become if you try to bring it back to stock. Just my opinion, though, as a fellow 1990 4.2 owner
kharmajavah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #15
YJ Newby

I do not envy the project you have at hand. I also have a stock '90 YJ with all of the California EPA Emissions crap, and I have YET to pass the sniff test here in Tucson. Every year it is the same thing. Get the test, fail the test, be told I can try again or go to a certified smog shop. I go to the smog shop & they hook it up to their sniffer, tweak the carb and timing so the emissions are within spec's [but the Jeep barely idles and smells like a refinery] go back and get my certificate validated. Then, I go back to the smog shop and have them set everything back to where it was at proper timing and jet settings on the carb.

Emissions is nothing more than an organized grab at handfuls of peoples hard earned money. I have 3 MC2100 sitting on my work bench that are just salivating at the chance to climb up onto my intake. Unfortunately, the state would miss out on my $162 of revenue every 12 months if they actually let me make my engine more fuel efficient and emit fewer pollutants.

Sorry to vent. I feel your pain. Good luck in what ever you choose. I agree, Howell may just be the way to go for you since you are already half way there. . .
YJ Newby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.