1990 4.2 tick - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1990 4.2 tick

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 03-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
FOXXX0126
1990 YJ Wrangler 

1990 4.2 tick

I've been having issues with a very elusive tick coming from my engine. it ticks sporadically at idle and consistently under load. I've pulled the water pump, checked the fins and bearings, and that wasn't the issue. i pulled the harmonic ballancer and timing cover to check that it wasn't an issue with the timing chain, it wasn't. as i was putting everything back on, i noticed the negative battery cable to the block was not tightened down all the way. could this cause a ticking sound?

Built Not Bought #704
FOXXX0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
CB10101
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It could be if its arcing. If you're sure its on that side of the block and not an exhaust leak. Also check your spark plug boots. The insulation can wear out on cheap wires and jump through the boot to your head. If you check at night, in the dark, you'll see sparks.
CB10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
FOXXX0126
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the plug wires are brand new and so are the plugs. ill tighten down the bolt to the block and see if that changes anything
Built Not Bought #704
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
gsnfl
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Any luck? I'm fighting a similar demon. Drive shaft u-joints?
gsnfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 03:33 AM   #5
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Check everything even if it doesn't seem like it has anything to do with your problem.

I had noises from the rear every time I took off or shifted. I thought well differential or u-joints. Turned out the u-bolts on the leaf springs wiggled loose, quickly tightened them up and the noise went away.

90 YJ 5.2 Magnum, 4.10 LSD 8.8
JCashen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

try to pin point the noise with a piece of garden hose or mech stethyscope. I had one that about drove me crazy finding, turned out to be the power steering belt.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
FOXXX0126
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've narrowed it down to the transmission. I've gotten my hands on a new to me ax15 that ill be rebuilding to swap the old one out. if you've had you're clutch off recently make sure you've put it on the right direction, I've heard if its on backwards the springs will catch the bolts on the fly wheel and create such a ticking noise.
Built Not Bought #704

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.