1990 4.2 engine swap with an older 4.2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1990 4.2 engine swap with an older 4.2

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 06-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
faithfuldad3
1990 YJ Wrangler 

1990 4.2 engine swap with an older 4.2

I have a questions for the gear heads on here. I am thinking of swaping out my 4.2 out of my 1990 YJ Wrangler to an older 1982 4.2 out of a CJ. Am I going to have any problems with things not lining up or adapting? Thanks...

faithfuldad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Valve cover, for sure. Maybe intake and exhaust will need some spacers to tighten down. I am using an old cj offenhauser intake on my 87 and I had to grindg about 1 1/4" off each bolt hole because the holes where so deep for the long bolts on the cj head. Might be other stuff too, not sure.
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
racerkid
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry to the dead reply but i stumbled acrross this because i am also possibly puting an older 4.2 in my YJ. I was wondering if you had any further problems when installing the CJ 4.2?
racerkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.