1989 yj worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1989 yj worth it?

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
dunkeye11
1996 ZJ 

Are the early YJs really as bad as people say? I have an chance to get one cheap but I don't want to really let my self down I wanted a 4.0 but it has a carbed 4.2 I just hope it has an ax-15 and not that French one

Are there any big things I should look for biggest fear is it was a project it's in parts and does not run

dunkeye11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
AmmitOsiris
JACK WAGON

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Get it and if not your cup of tea, part it out and make your money, if you don't need smog the 4.2 is a great engine
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
dunkeye11
1996 ZJ 

Is it easy to replace the carter carb?
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

My 89 is my DD it has 209k miles and it runs just as good if not better then my 99 XJ .

The Peugot trans is not as bad as its made to be Mine shift fine it' crisp with no slop. The Carter carb works great and It has not had a nutter bypass and still has all the vacuum lines .

I say get it . You can replace stuff you dont like
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
dunkeye11
1996 ZJ 

Ok just one last question

How hard do you guys think it will be to get it running
It has been siting for at least 5 years and I'm just going to assume with no prep work for storage
It's pretty much in pieces and it looks like the t case is unbolted for some reason
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
AmmitOsiris
JACK WAGON

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkeye11
Ok just one last question

How hard do you guys think it will be to get it running
It has been siting for at least 5 years and I'm just going to assume with no prep work for storage
It's pretty much in pieces and it looks like the t case is unbolted for some reason
Well mine was sitting for about 6 years and it started right up with only needing a fuel pump and new tank
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A tuneup NEVER hurts after that time, but they're pretty durable, should fire right up.

Worst case scenario, drop $1200 on a Howell TBI setup and enjoy one ridiculously great engine. $1200 ain't a whole lot in comparison to what you may be dropping into it in the future
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

My '88 sat for five years. We got it running after cleaning the carb. A rebuild was after that but it's all pretty easy.
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:02 AM   #9
vtmtnman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've got an 89 YJ. I'm putting an mc 2100 on this weekend. The Carter was nothing but trouble for me, the worst of it being its habit of flooding on hills. Other than the Carter caused problems I love the thing.
vtmtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #10
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

nothing wrong with the early wranglers, the 4.2 is a great motor, especially if you like to modify. even the puggy trans lasts way longer than people think.
my question is about you, do you really want to take on a major project like this? do you have the skills or are willing to learn?
the jeep is a complete unknown. it may be as simple as flushing the carb and fuel system or it may need a complete rebuild.
the transfercase was disconnected for a reason, was it to replace u joints, replace clutch or is the tranny blown? there are people here that haven't driven their jeep for a year or two while doing a rebuild, are you up to it?

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
dunkeye11
1996 ZJ 

Thank you for asking that

Upon closer inspection of the photos I took it looks to had been started a conversion to fuel injection or completed
Another complete unknown

Something that did not help was my friends dad (the actual owner who bought and did the work) wasn't there and my Freind had no idea anything that was wrong or working on it
I'm going back on Sunday or Monday with another Freind who is a good mechanic and check it out again and see if we can put it back together a bit and try to get it going

What size do photos have to be
I can't seem to post any and it would be a huge help
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Upload pictures to photobucket and then copy and past the IMG code here, it's way easier.
dcocch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkeye11 View Post
Is it easy to replace the carter carb?
The Carter BBD is not as bad as many here would have you believe.

Any carb with 200,000 miles on it is in dire need of complete overhaul, not just some gaskets and a spray bomb of solvent.

Millions of them were sold and they powered American trucks billions of miles.l Mine was completely reworked 4 years ago, it has over 200,000 miles on it and is super reliable, better gas mileage than any 4.0 posted here that I have seen.

What ever you do, get it running in OEM condition first before you go scabbing after market parts on it. Otherwise you will not know if there is an underlying mechanical problem or just a mis-match of specs causing poor performance.
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
The Carter BBD is not as bad as many here would have you believe.

Any carb with 200,000 miles on it is in dire need of complete overhaul, not just some gaskets and a spray bomb of solvent.

Millions of them were sold and they powered American trucks billions of miles.l Mine was completely reworked 4 years ago, it has over 200,000 miles on it and is super reliable, better gas mileage than any 4.0 posted here that I have seen.

What ever you do, get it running in OEM condition first before you go scabbing after market parts on it. Otherwise you will not know if there is an underlying mechanical problem or just a mis-match of specs causing poor performance.
Great post

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 06-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #15
piotrsko
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dude: it's a YJ. It will start and run. Maybe not well......but that would be a whole nother story. That is why we use this forum. If its good and cheap and you want a project then buy it. YKYDAYJ when:
piotrsko is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.