1989 wrangler brake system - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1989 wrangler brake system

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-03-2004, 04:09 PM   #1
walkman

1989 wrangler brake system

hey guys have problems with spongy brakes. Ihave replaced all of the lines, the wheel cylinders, calipers and master cylinder. I have bled the brakes 6 times. Also when i start the engine the brake pedal travels all the way to the floor with no resistance. Can you help please

walkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2004, 04:42 PM   #2
Scurv

Sounds like there's air in the master or it's bad?? Chec the vac assist to make sure it's not leaking air and the master cyl mounting nuts for tightness?? Looking in the Hayens it says: Could be a clogged resevoir vent hole, defective check valve, or proportioning valve. Any fluid leaking anywhere???
89 YJ, 258 I6, 5 Speed/Manual, Red, 30x9.50 GSA/Gambler,Air Force Jeep Club Member #31
Red Jeep Club Member #284

Last edited by Scurv; 03-03-2004 at 04:48 PM..
Scurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2004, 05:14 PM   #3
*Jeremy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurv
Sounds like there's air in the master or it's bad?? Chec the vac assist to make sure it's not leaking air and the master cyl mounting nuts for tightness?? Looking in the Hayens it says: Could be a clogged resevoir vent hole, defective check valve, or proportioning valve. Any fluid leaking anywhere???
Yeah sounds like the vacuum assist booster is leaking.You can undo and plug the vacuum hose to it and see if your brakes feel tighter,it will be like having manual brakes so it will be a little harder to stop but that should tell if the booster is the problem.I have had mine like this for a while now and Im so use to it I dont know if I will even bother buying a new booster,its also a good way to keep my wife from driving it,she refuses
*Jeremy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2004, 05:19 PM   #4
Scurv

find anything loose???
89 YJ, 258 I6, 5 Speed/Manual, Red, 30x9.50 GSA/Gambler,Air Force Jeep Club Member #31
Red Jeep Club Member #284
Scurv is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.