1989 Jeep Yj Good Investment? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1989 Jeep Yj Good Investment?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 10-19-2002, 11:00 AM   #16
Offroadin_89_YJ

My friend has a 89 YJ and he let me drive it a couple days ago and i saw that they have a lot of torque but not that much HP is there a not to costly upgrade that you can do to the engine that will boost your HP and not take away any torque? these jeeps are not that fast and i would like that to change,,, IM not saying i want a Ferrari jeep im just sayin i want to be able to keep up with some other cars on the road...any suggestions

PS. Thank u for all your help on selecting a jeep. now I do know what to look for and see if hes rippin me...

VERY Soon to come: 1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ.

Offroadin_89_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2002, 11:09 AM   #17
UPnOVER

Interior of an YJ should be the same as all the YJ unless someone put new seats in. You could do this your self for more room. I think people put CRX (the car) seats in from a small Honda for more room. If you could afford it buy the newest model of the wrangler you can afford 91'-95' YJ or 97’-03’ TJ. They make them better every year. Good luck.

P.S. Do not buy a 4 bagger.

Only buy the 4.0L Inline 6.
[COLOR=red]RED JEEP #6[/COLOR]
91' YJ, D30 EZ, F8.8 locked & 410's, BDS4+" lift, 35" BFG's on 15x8 RC, 8,000lb Ramsey, etc. www. rock-nutz.com

Last edited by UPnOVER; 10-19-2002 at 11:13 AM..
UPnOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2002, 11:17 AM   #18
Offroadin_89_YJ

which year CRX? i can easily get a pair of CRX seats from a scrap yard not to far from my house and how do the seats attach to the interior of the YJ? they just bolt on or something like that?

Unread 10-19-2002, 11:34 AM   #19
UPnOVER

I do not know. I never had a problem with the room. Sorry
91' YJ, D30 EZ, F8.8 locked & 410's, BDS4+" lift, 35" BFG's on 15x8 RC, 8,000lb Ramsey, etc. www. rock-nutz.com
Unread 10-19-2002, 11:57 AM   #20
MugZy_YJ_94
ka-mai

2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally posted by UPnOVER

now what's wrong with a 4popper?
i would say for a 16 year old, there are some extra"s on a 2.5:

-cheaper
-since youve just got your licence, and yj are triky in rain, snow ect.... less power=less change you turn it around hit a tree, and end ut in da ditch on the first rainy night you drive it.
-cheaper
- less fuel/mile
-cheaper

but like upnover sad, get a 91 or older, if if possible i would got with a "as stock as possible" one. most change it din't see a lot of terain, so you can wreck it yourself

Now in the soccer mum class. Missing the YJ, but the KJ isn't bad...for now.
black jeepclub #35
MugZy_YJ_94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2002, 12:53 PM   #21
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Offroadin_89_YJ
IM not saying i want a Ferrari jeep im just sayin i want to be able to keep up with some other cars on the road...any suggestions
OR_89_YJ, funny you should say Ferrari Jeep, because I read Enzo Ferrari once said the Jeep was the only true american sportscar, not sure when that was, probably the 1950's or 60's.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2002, 01:33 PM   #22
UPnOVER

MugZy, you make a good point.

I always say 4.0L because I live in Colorado and no 4 lagers will do it out here in the mountains or do it fast more like a slow, slow, slow craw and not just on the rocks. They do just as good on the trail but getting there will take an extra hour or two. The best thing about the 4 lagers is that the come with 4:11's in the axles. That is a lot better than 3:07's.
Unread 10-20-2002, 06:33 AM   #23
Offroadin_89_YJ

Quote:
Originally posted by UPnOVER

im kinda new at the jeep termenology so whats a bagger?

Unread 10-20-2002, 09:39 AM   #24
AllanAlxndr

Quote:
Originally posted by Offroadin_89_YJ

im kinda new at the jeep termenology so whats a bagger?
Number of Cylinders...

4 cyl. = 4 banger

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*6" of lift, (4" suspension, 2" body)*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*
*Pioneer DEH3500/CD deck*
*1800WATT Amp w/ Custom Box*
*2 - 8" Rockford Fosgate HEs*
*Cobra 18WXSTII w/ 4' Firestik Antenna*

Member of Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
AllanAlxndr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2002, 10:40 AM   #25
bigjeep39
2004 WJ 

Yah, no offense to upNover or anyone else on this board, but going with just a certain type of Jeep is a weak mans way of offroading, a jeep is a jeep i happen to have the 4.2l and it is really nice, put a fuel injection kit on it and it would not only spank your 4.0l but be more reliable.

And 12" lift sounds outrageous, are the leafs over the axle or under the axle, i dont think you should just toss the idea of not getting an 89.... just b/c he doesnt have one he will say not to get it, i say either way... 4.0l is nice 4.2l is also nice, and if you put the fuel injection on it that will be nice.

Shawn
Unread 10-20-2002, 11:54 AM   #26
AllanAlxndr

Quote:
Originally posted by bigjeep39
Yah, no offense to upNover or anyone else on this board, but going with just a certain type of Jeep is a weak mans way of offroading, a jeep is a jeep i happen to have the 4.2l and it is really nice, put a fuel injection kit on it and it would not only spank your 4.0l but be more reliable.

And 12" lift sounds outrageous, are the leafs over the axle or under the axle, i dont think you should just toss the idea of not getting an 89.... just b/c he doesnt have one he will say not to get it, i say either way... 4.0l is nice 4.2l is also nice, and if you put the fuel injection on it that will be nice.

Shawn
I think before telling people that you can get the fuel injection kit, you should make sure they know the price...

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*6" of lift, (4" suspension, 2" body)*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*
*Pioneer DEH3500/CD deck*
*1800WATT Amp w/ Custom Box*
*2 - 8" Rockford Fosgate HEs*
*Cobra 18WXSTII w/ 4' Firestik Antenna*

Member of Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
AllanAlxndr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2002, 02:09 PM   #27
UPnOVER

The newer the better, that's all I am trying to say, I have the 91' and the 92' is a little better (roll bar for one) and so on and so on. I never bought a JEEP to race anyone and most of the people I have talk to that have the 4 lagers or 4.2l do a engine swap to 4.0L I6 or a V6, V8 and they also do the rest of the driveline swap. If you can buy a 89’ for $7,000+- (That has a 12 year old drive train) or a 97’(with a 5 year old drive train) for $9,000 what would be the better deal? A new engine run's about $3,000. MY.02 Newer is better in this case. Sorry
Unread 10-20-2002, 03:45 PM   #28
Dj_Jeep2003_YJ

The newer the better, that's all I am trying to say, I have the 91' and the 92' is a

The newer the better, that's all I am trying to say, I have the 91' and the 92' is a little better (roll bar for one) and so on and so on. I never bought a JEEP to race anyone and most of the people I have talk to that have the 4 lagers or 4.2l do a engine swap to 4.0L I6 or a V6, V8 and they also do the rest of the driveline swap. If you can buy a 89’ for $7,000+- (That has a 12 year old drive train) or a 97’(with a 5 year old drive train) for $9,000 what would be the better deal? A new engine run's about $3,000. MY.02 Newer is better in this case. Sorry

Unread 10-20-2002, 11:19 PM   #29
bigjeep39
2004 WJ 

hehe, you guys dont know anything but keep telling yourself that... just be happy for one another seriously, newer the better is not true at all.

shawn
Unread 10-21-2002, 08:27 AM   #30
UPnOVER

Who knows what??????????? Jumping a jeep?????????That’s has a lot of knowledge behind it!!!! If you buy an older jeep’s and do not want to build it up from scratch than the newer the better. I am not say you 89 is a bad or better or anything just if the kid could buy something newer he should.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.