1988 YJ transfer case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1988 YJ transfer case

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 08-31-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
bikermwtp
1988 YJ Wrangler 

1988 YJ transfer case

Hi folks, im new to tall this forum stuff and jeeps. Here is my issue. I have a 1988 Jeep YJ 4.2L 5 speed. The transfer cas got busted my previous owner, so i found one on kijiji to replace it with. It has all the same numbers marks ect other than serial number is diff, But the input shaft on the new one i have is an 1/8" smaller than the orignal one that came off it. Does anyone know why this is? its off the exact same jeep i seen it. Im stuck with this one now and not sure what to do. Im looking for info and or how to tell things apart, any help would be greatly appreciated i know very little about jeeps. Thanks for your time!

bikermwtp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
Fin_Reaper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What do you mean 1/8" smaller? OD, ID, Length? What is the spline count? If you still have the BA-10/5, your TC input shaft should be 21 spline.
Unread 09-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I think he had a NP207 and bought a NP231. there should be a tag. read it and post up what it says or just take a pic of it and post up.
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
Fin_Reaper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My 88 4.2/BA came with the 231 stock. 87 was the oddball year for TC's.
Unread 09-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
bikermwtp
1988 YJ Wrangler 

They are both NP231's Bit the input shaft that slides onto the tranny on the new tc is 1/8" smaller inside diameter. ill take pics and post them later.
Unread 09-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ooops. haha mb forgot about it. it may be from a different year? I know there are some np231s that are 21 spline but the input shaft comes in different sizes. but its just a guess.
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
Fin_Reaper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Count ye splines.
Unread 09-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
bikermwtp
1988 YJ Wrangler 

so it took me 20 mins but i did a count of splines one is 22 and one is 23 so thats the problem, ive been looking all over the map and cant find any tcases for this thing, would i be better off to change the input shaft n gear?
Unread 09-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #9
Fin_Reaper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikermwtp View Post
so it took me 20 mins but i did a count of splines one is 22 and one is 23 so thats the problem, ive been looking all over the map and cant find any tcases for this thing, would i be better off to change the input shaft n gear?
I've never seen a 22 spline. My guess would be that it's a 21. Swapping an input shaft isn't tough in the 231's.
Unread 09-01-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
bikermwtp
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin_Reaper View Post
I've never seen a 22 spline. My guess would be that it's a 21. Swapping an input shaft isn't tough in the 231's.
whats a new shaft worth roughly? and how long would you say it would take for the average person to do it?
Unread 09-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
bikermwtp
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Is there much diffrence between the 21? like is the 23 spline a whole lot stronger? the guy that sold me this 21 spline said i could trade him trannys is there any advantage from the 21 to the 23 spline?

Last edited by bikermwtp; 09-02-2011 at 12:14 PM..
Unread 09-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
yotefever
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I am going through this right now because I am getting rid of my ba10.
I picked up an AX15 with an NP231 out of a '93 YJ up in Minn.
It turns out it has a 21 spline input shaft.
I got some replies here on JF and traded shafts with one member but it won't go into my planetary gears???? It appears the od of the shaft, not including the teeth on the outside is more than what my old 21 shaft was???
I also got another shaft with the pg's but it is about 1/2 longer and that shaft will fit my pg's but don't know if there will be a problem using it with the longer length.
You should be able to swap yours out if they are both 231's I am not familiar with the 207.
Here is some youtube on the reassembly
There are 4 of them and they are very detailed. I believe there is a disassembly vid too.
I don't think one is stronger than the other but the 23 spline is the newer and more common setup you will find.

And welcome to JF and Jeeps! You will get your questions answered here, I am new to jeeps too and it has been a great help, even if it empties my wallet.
Unread 09-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #13
bikermwtp
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so im ready to pull my hair out and scarp this thing..... I keep getting so many diffrent awnsers. what i want to know i have the stock 23 spline output shaft on the tranny now. now the input from the crank side would it be the same as a 21 spline output tranny? if you know what i mean? my head is throbbing from this thing.... any help would be grat guys thanks
Unread 09-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #14
bikermwtp
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikermwtp View Post
Ok so im ready to pull my hair out and scarp this thing..... I keep getting so many diffrent awnsers. what i want to know i have the stock 23 spline output shaft on the tranny now. now the input from the crank side would it be the same as a 21 spline output tranny? if you know what i mean? my head is throbbing from this thing.... any help would be grat guys thanks
Basicly can i take the tranny thats on there now (with the 23 spline output shaft) and switch it with a new 21 spline tranny? are the inputs of the 2 trannys the same?
Unread 09-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #15
yotefever
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I am no expert and always learning something new every time I work on it but as far as I know the ax15 have the larger input shaft but my ba10 has a narrower diameter.
You should probably pm Mean Max on here, he has been a wealth of information for things I have worked on and things I'm still planning on doing.

Tags
transfer case. t-case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.