1988 YJ Stuttering Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1988 YJ Stuttering Problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSave 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesJuly 4th Sale Event! and Yes, We're Open!

Unread 06-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #1
Jana2803
1988 YJ Wrangler 

1988 YJ Stuttering Problem

Hi everyone! New to the forum and I have a question. I bought a YJ and am having problems with it stuttering. It won't go more than 60mph. I have tried to set the timing but I do not understand the sticker that is on the jeep. When I am going through the gears it bogs down and I have to shift earlier than I normally would. Any help would be appreciated.

Jana2803 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #2
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the Jeepforum, the internet's only jeep forum!

Could you fill out your jeep profile on the forum? Do you have a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder? this can make a big difference.

You need to start by doing a general tune-up of things that need to be updated anyway:
1.) New standard Champion copper core spark plugs. Do not use platinum or Irridium.
2.) Spark plug wires (choose your favorite flavor of price vs quality)
3.) New distributor cap and rotor
4.) New Fuel Filter
5.) New or Cleaned Air Filter
6.) since you are bogging under load, it is unlikely that you have a vacuum leak. you should still check though by spraying carb cleaner on all of the vacuum lines in the engine bay while the vehicle idles. Listen for a change in RPM.

Poor maintenance in the above can easily cause the symptoms you've been describing. After updating (or confirming that they are up to date) come back and we can walk you through the more advanced diagnostics.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 04:44 PM   #3
Jana2803
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm sorry, I guess the engine size would help. It is a straight 6. I will try the tune up route and let you know if that helps. Just for my knowledge, do you know what the timing should be?

Thanks for the help!
Jana2803 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 05:41 PM   #4
JMark
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana2803 View Post
.... It won't go more than 60mph....
LOL, welcome to the world of YJ's. You want a fast car, buy a Shelby.

(just kidding, but you can spend a lot of money on that engine and not improve your speed much. ask me how I know....)
JMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2015, 02:01 PM   #5
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMark View Post
LOL, welcome to the world of YJ's. You want a fast car, buy a Shelby.

(just kidding, but you can spend a lot of money on that engine and not improve your speed much. ask me how I know....)
the 6 cylinder should certainly go more than 60mph. Mine will do 80 without any issues on 31 inch tires.

Sorry, I don't recall what the timing should be since I've updated mine to fuel injection. If you don't have the factory service manual, get one, it is very very good.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2015, 05:49 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

It is electronic ignition no wear parts so timing never goes "off" unless it was messed with.
If it has the factory emissions hooked up, it sets like the sticker says, vacuum line unplugged and blocked, the vacuum solenoids unplugged and at 1600 rpm, usually at 9° BTDC.

Bogging out can mean gas filter or messed up gas tank venting. Filter is only good for a year or so, so I start there. Be sure it sits level with the smaller return line up top. To check the venting, just drive with the gas cap cracked loose.
The carb is plugged in at the back right? That big plug is a stepper motor that controls the mix. If the pins are not moving, you can see the top pin from the top, that can affect high speed also. The pin should be centered when it is warmed up at idle with about 1/8" of shaft showing from the back wall before the taper.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.