1988 YJ stalling out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1988 YJ stalling out

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 04-26-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
arclight
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1988 YJ stalling out

ok so this is my first real post hear so hi everyone. i bought my 88 YJ about 3 weeks ago. it ran really good then the weld on it cat to the muffler broke so i just took the muffler off. after that it kinda went down hill quick. I would drive and it would randomly stall out if i came to a stop or stop to hard. so i had to have my shock tab on the back pass side and i told the guy about it and he said he cleaned up my carburetor, and it ran grate then it just started to **** the bed again so any ideas?? i know that since the muffler is not on there that changes the game a little bit and im planning on fixing that to day but i was hoping i could get this problem fixed. and the engine is a Straight 6 carbureted. i know that the jeep is 22 years old and it could use a new carburetor probably but i kinda don't have the money at this point because im only 18 and just got laid off from my job. so in short any help or advice you can offer is much appreciated so thank you in advance. i changed my plugs all ready and didnt do much so im thinking its a combo of the exhaust and the carb but any ideas please tell me.

arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
buckshot500
1990 YJ Wrangler 

First off, none of these mods are exactly legal. That said, they will usually make the 4.2L run much better & emissions systems in these old heeps aren't always working the way they are supposed to. So these mods while good, may not pass an emissions inspection. It pays to know your inspector's favorite lunch preferences.

(1) google "The Nutter Bypass". This is the cheapest of the three mods, & can be done without the other two.
There is a picture version of it on this board, use the search feature.

(2) The TeamRush ignition upgrade,
http://www.junkyardgenius.com/ignition/jeep/jeep07.html
will allow your engine to burn the increased amount of fuel that the next mod will deliver.

(3) Google the MC2100 Motorcraft carburetor upgrade. Send me a PM if you need more info & cant find it.

It pays to do a lot of research on these, before doing them. Before these, I was about to give up on my 90 YJ.
Two years later, I have done several inexpensive upgrades. The two I'm working on right now are the York on board air compressor, & a second monster alternator to use as an on board welder.

The 4.2L YJ lends itself to many Junkyard upgrades for people like you and I, who are on a limited budget.

The three mods I listed, compliment each other nicely & will wake up that old motor. I can shift at 3500 rpms all day, & can take it to 4 grand if need be, although these motors weren't designed to revved much over 3700 rpm's & won't last long over 4500rpm's. If you can get it to run that high.

90YJ98XJ
buckshot500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
jenniferjeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have the same year and had the same problems. Go through and check all of your vacuum lines. If thats not it then check your carb.
jenniferjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
buckshot500
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jennifer's post reminds me that you could sort out, & diagnose the emissions system.

Also the carter BBD carb's idle tubes can be drilled (hand drilled with a pin vise) I can't find the bookmark I had, but I think it was a .032" drill bit. (research this yourself before doing it) Do not use a larger bit than that, or you'll have fuel drooling out of them. This is done to help prevent them clogging.

One more thing, the catalytic converter may be causing this stalling. They sometimes have a condition that causes the ceramic core to melt & break up. This sometimes clogs the exhaust, & hurts performance until the chunk breaks enough to come out the tailpipe.

90YJ98XJ
buckshot500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
Plowhoss

Take your cat converter off and get a pipe and just keep ramming it in throught the converter until you get all the honey cone out.I hollowed mine out the other day.....Another thing you need to do is get rid of that sorry Carter carburetor.I'm about to do that also.
Plowhoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowhoss View Post
Take your cat converter off and get a pipe and just keep ramming it in throught the converter until you get all the honey cone out.I hollowed mine out the other day.....Another thing you need to do is get rid of that sorry Carter carburetor.I'm about to do that also.
Be careful, the "Ban Hammer" might be coming down on you for talking of modifying/removing the cat, which is illegal in all 50 states.
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
arclight
1998 TJ Wrangler 

but in MA were i live i dont need to pass emissions(cause of the year of my jeep) so i think im good haha. but anyway thanks for all the advice and help. i will be looking into all of these ideas.
Unread 04-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
Plowhoss

Thats the last thing I need!I'm sorry I didn't know that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasujeeper View Post
Be careful, the "Ban Hammer" might be coming down on you for talking of modifying/removing the cat, which is illegal in all 50 states.
Unread 04-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Do THIS MOD or buy THIS KIT if you plan on keeping the stock carb for a while. AND as mentioned above, do the Nutter Bypass, there's a good write up right here in the FAQ section of YJ Tech.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #10
arclight
1998 TJ Wrangler 

ok ill try this stuff the only thing i have to say is today it was like 85 and yesterday was 80 and 1. i had no top or doors for the first time at the same time and it was AMAZING and also 2. since its been warm out in mass it hasn't really stalled or anything any idea why this is?
Unread 04-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #11
Plowhoss

Thats a jeep for ya!ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by arclight View Post
ok ill try this stuff the only thing i have to say is today it was like 85 and yesterday was 80 and 1. i had no top or doors for the first time at the same time and it was AMAZING and also 2. since its been warm out in mass it hasn't really stalled or anything any idea why this is?
Unread 04-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
arclight
1998 TJ Wrangler 

haha i know and i love it i can honestly say i don't think ill buy another make of car ever.
Unread 04-27-2009, 02:09 PM   #13
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arclight View Post
Jeeps like warm weather too, mine told me it was moving to Florida, I told it to buy itself a couple extra electric fans for the summer, jeep was oh yeah really hot, and decided to stay with me in NY. Being that I one up'ed jeep, it decided to blow oil out its rear main, so I too enjoyed the nice weather this past weekend, but the people driving behind me didnt. Total smoke screen.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.