1988 yj new 32/36DGEV installed and flooding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 1988 yj new 32/36DGEV installed and flooding

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
slimeymike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

1988 yj new 32/36DGEV installed and flooding

Hey y'all I'm a new member to this forum and this is my first post. I have viewed this site for several months and found the answers to most of my questions without posting I am amazed of the outflow of information and comradery that is shown its members. Anyway my problem is I installed a new weber 32/36DGEV kit#k551 on a1988 258 this motor is a fresh rebuild I used a Mr. Gasket fpr. set at 3psi I started the motor right up it warmed up I adjusted timing 9deg btdc 700-800 rpm check base line settings on carb. I had to let it sit for a few days and when I started it back up after about 30 sec. it flooded like the float needle was stuck open. Since this has happened I changed the FPR to a holley 12-804 with a pressure gauge and the only time I get a reading on the gauge is when I block off the line to the carb. it reads about 3psi I have removed the fuel tank cleaned it checked the vent lines and return line no blockage new filter with bypass at 12 oclock new float and needle ***. adjusted float level to specs and tried setting it at a lower level with no luck. Could a defective power valve be the problem? Any advice would be appreciated

slimeymike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hello and welcome, I am by no means the expert on this but here is my 2 cents... I have been running the 32/36 for about 5 years on the stock fuel pump and NO FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator). It sure sounds like the float is sticking? I don't see you mention that the Fuel filter was changed? Someone else should chime in with other options. Good luck.
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
doweller
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimeymike View Post
Hey y'all I'm a new member to this forum and this is my first post. I have viewed this site for several months and found the answers to most of my questions without posting I am amazed of the outflow of information and comradery that is shown its members. Anyway my problem is I installed a new weber 32/36DGEV kit#k551 on a1988 258 this motor is a fresh rebuild I used a Mr. Gasket fpr. set at 3psi I started the motor right up it warmed up I adjusted timing 9deg btdc 700-800 rpm check base line settings on carb. I had to let it sit for a few days and when I started it back up after about 30 sec. it flooded like the float needle was stuck open. Since this has happened I changed the FPR to a holley 12-804 with a pressure gauge and the only time I get a reading on the gauge is when I block off the line to the carb. it reads about 3psi I have removed the fuel tank cleaned it checked the vent lines and return line no blockage new filter with bypass at 12 oclock new float and needle ***. adjusted float level to specs and tried setting it at a lower level with no luck. Could a defective power valve be the problem? Any advice would be appreciated
here is my one and half cents: I have the same set up. first of all, I only get a reading on the pressure gauge at time of start up ONLY at start up on a cold start. Second: took my beast forever to start!! I then change to a one in and one out fuel filter. I did not use the fuel return line. so no fuel drains out of carb and it starts EVERY time on first crank!! This might be some of your issues.
doweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a Weber DGEV which is a little diffrent but the same PITA. I need to jet down on it because it runs rich as well. My YJ was constantly flooding, giving me a hard time, long crank, then would barely run. First question is, have you Nuttered the ignition side yet? You hafta take the ECU out of the loop as it is trying to adjust your timing and non existent BBD. Once you take the BBD out of the loop, you can actually get rid of all the ECU related stuff and 98% of the vacuum crap. All that crap is there to run the BBD and ignition and "improve" emissions. The timing at 9* should work fine. This solved most of my problems. I also had an ICM issue as well and you may be experiencing the same thing. I had relocated mine higher up on the fender and the extra shaking around caused an intermittent problem with a bad internal connection to become common and more obvious. Changed the ICM and it runs like a top and fires up instantly without giving it any gas.

Anyway, do the Nutter and get back with us.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
slimeymike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your quick response. I don't believe this is an ECU issue. ECU's were on 1990 & 91 models. They had a microcomputer unit MCU on 1987-89 models. It looks like all this has been eliminated by a previous owner. It basically has a coil and a distributor with an electronic pick up. I really believe it's a carburetor issue. When I pinch the fuel line off between the carburetor & the fuel pressure regulator it runs fine until the carburetor bowl runs dry.

Thanks again for your response,
Mike
Unread 09-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
slimeymike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your 2 cents. I have a new fuel filter, stock type with one line in and two lines out with a return line disconnected and opening mount set at 12 o'clock. I installed a new fuel pump and I have tried running without the fuel pressure regulator and with it and it floods just the same.

Thanks again,
Mike
Unread 09-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well if the carb is flooding like you say, either the fuel pressure is overwhelming the needle valve or the needle valve//float is bad. There are a lot of "farmed out" Webers out there that I understand do not have the same high quality specs as an actual Weber. Does yours have Weber cast into it somewhere or does it have a red W sticker on it? Empi makes quite a few of these and that isnt necessarily a bad thing, just not as high quality. Sounds like the carb has issues, like you didnt know this already.
Unread 09-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
slimeymike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

carb. came from carbsunlimited it is distributed by; redline packaged in USA has weber cast on top of float chamber who knows if its the real deal or a not to spec reproduction I could not find a red sticker but there are three baby blue dots on the round raised spots next to the weber emblem Lord! I hope this doesn't mean reject.Thanks for the input I'm back to adjusting foat level Mike
Unread 09-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

As log as it has Weber cast into it your golden.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.