Let me recap from the very beginning:
The first issue I had was sticking front brakes so I replaced the calipers.
The next issue was the rear drum brakes dragging. When I initially broke them down several parts fell out (same parts, both sides). The PO had put a drum kit in but didn't connect the self adjusting lever/screw/spring combination correctly. Now, I am not a mechanic so I wasn't sure exactly how to piece it all back together. After much time and searching this forum and others (and almost poking my own eye out with a pair of needle-nose pliers - safety first) I finally found a picture that showed the correct assembly. I also decided to replace the wheel cylinders while I was in there.
That freed up the rear-end, but now the front was sticking again. Everyone I asked pointed me to the brake lines so I replaced them but the calipers where still sticking. I decided to replace the master cylinder, because there just weren't many things left to replace at this point. While doing that I realized the the adjusting rod seemed to be pressing on the piston in the MC before it was even completely seated. Backed off and that and now the calipers are no longer sticking.
So now the front is free and the rear is free, but the pedal is very soft and will go to the floor.
We realized that we didn't bench bleed the MC as well as we should have so we went through that process and then re-bled the entire system. Still, the brakes are soft.
After one more Google search, and a threat from my wife to take it to the brake shop if I didn't get it fixed SOON, we finally came across what I am hoping is the final solution: the rear drums.
You know how sometimes when you continue to do something over and over and over again that it just becomes routine? Well, while trying to figure out how to assemble the self-adjusting lever/screw/spring I had taken the rear brakes apart so many times that when I finally got it right, I didn't think to adjust them properly. The pedal was soft because the rear drum brakes where not making contact. We adjusted them out and the pedal immediately got better. They weren't perfect but much better. I took it down the road at about 50mph and stood on the brakes - I was very happy with how well it stopped.
I took it home and adjusted it a little more. Unfortunately, I have been able to drive it since then, (whole other issue), but I will this weekend.
I THINK we finally have this issue resolved. If not, I'll let you know what the brake shop says because that is where it is going next.